Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Argentina suspends Canadian reciprocity fee

Old Nov 29, 17, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Goods news for Canadians travellers!

https://paxnews.com/news/other/argen...fee/newsletter

Early this morning, the Argentine government officially suspended the reciprocity fee for Canadians, effective Jan. 1, 2018.
Old Nov 30, 17, 5:04 pm

Great news, thanks, added to sticky.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 17, 10:14 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Goods news for Canadians travellers!

https://paxnews.com/news/other/argen...fee/newsletter

Early this morning, the Argentine government officially suspended the reciprocity fee for Canadians, effective Jan. 1, 2018.
Good news.Now I wish Chile will do the same.
Michael
Old Dec 1, 17, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by yulmichael View Post
Good news.Now I wish Chile will do the same.
Michael
Chile got rid of its reciprocity fee for Canadians and Americans ages ago., only Australians need pay (currently) $US117 for Chile, and only when arriving at Santiago airport on an international flight.
Old Dec 2, 17, 10:39 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
Originally Posted by David Beach View Post
Chile got rid of its reciprocity fee for Canadians and Americans ages ago., only Australians need pay (currently) $US117 for Chile, and only when arriving at Santiago airport on an international flight.
Thanks for the info.Sorry, I didn't know.
Now it is Colombia's turn to get rid of it.
Michael
Old Dec 9, 17, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Michael
Does Brazil still have it?
Old Dec 10, 17, 7:38 am

Yes, Brazil requires pre-applied for travel visas (meaning going to Brazil Consulates or Embassies to get them beforehand) for Americans, Aussies and Canadians. They may or may not drop this out of practicality to attract more tourists, but it is still a major hurdle. If you go to Iguazu, you can get a visa from Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, Brazil Consulate after 24 hours application with bank payment and documentation.
Old Dec 11, 17, 11:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Michael
"Reciprocity" is the key word. It's perfectly fair for these countries to maintain these fees (and for Brazil to keep current visa requirements in place) as long as their citizens have to pay money to obtain a visa to enter Canada, and I'm sure that Colombia will drop their fee once the government of Canada waives entry visa requirements for Colombian citizens wishing to experience a real winter.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 17, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando View Post
"I'm sure that Colombia will drop their fee once the government of Canada waives entry visa requirements for Colombian citizens wishing to experience a real winter.
Waiving visas for Colombians? Not happening anytime soon.

Colombia imposed the tax because Canada started collecting a biometric fee on top of the regular visa fee from Colombians.
Old Dec 31, 17, 6:19 pm

Yeah that awful biometric fee Canada adds, as well as the outrageously high return courier fees, are a downright scandal. I went through the process for an Argentine friend who needed a Canadian tourist visa, it was a nightmare. And the bloody "helpline" of the biometric and processing company is in Venezuela, a bunch of idiots. I am so ashamed to be a Canadian over this! Canadiians are lucky they do not have to pay a fee at all for Argentina now!
Old Jan 28, 18, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by David Beach View Post
Yes, Brazil requires pre-applied for travel visas (meaning going to Brazil Consulates or Embassies to get them beforehand) for Americans, Aussies and Canadians. They may or may not drop this out of practicality to attract more tourists, but it is still a major hurdle. If you go to Iguazu, you can get a visa from Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, Brazil Consulate after 24 hours application with bank payment and documentation.
That was not true for Aussies anymore when you posted. Now it's no longer true for all nationalities that you mentioned.

E-visas are available:
Brazil Visa Information In eVisa - Home Page

Search this Thread