Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

need help with plans for 4 days in BA

Old Nov 19, 17, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold

My husband and I will arrive in BA on Tuesday Feb. 27 from the Emerald Princess. That day we have an 8 hour waking tour of the city with people from the cruise with Buenos Tours. We will disembark on Wednesday Feb. 28 by 9:00 and transfer to a hotel for 3 nights. We depart from EZE on Saturday March 3 at 6:00pm on LAN 532 EZE-SCL in J class so we should be able to use the lounge at EZE to clean up after a day of touring the city.

I am looking for a plan of what to do for the 3 1/2 days we have in Buenos Aires. We like to walk and ride bikes, so I was thinking of a bike tour. We like culture so I was looking at tours of the theater and the art museum. A day trip to Colonia and/or Tigre Delta are possibilities. We often take cooking classes and street food tours when we travel. We both like ballroom dancing and were thinking about a half day of tango classes for amateurs if such a thing exists.

The trickiest will be the last day, Saturday March 3 when we will need to check out of the hotel, leave the luggage there until going to the airport at 3:00pm for a 6:00pm flight home.

I am looking for suggestions for our 4 days in BA. Should I book tours ahead of time or wait until we get there? I know this is high season; are tours and activities likely to be filled up? FT'ers have always been so helpful in helping me with vacation plans. Gracias for your help in advance.
Old Nov 19, 17, 5:39 pm

I have a few friends that work in tourism so I might be able to chip in here based on their suggestions, my own experiences and some hearsay.

BuenosTours have a solid reputation as being some of the best walking tour guides in BA. Good choice and a good way to start the city.

Biking Buenos Aires and Urban Biking are both reputable biking companies.

I would say Tigre before Colonia. Colonia will chew up an entire day and is "meh" in my opinion. It's good to add a passport stamp and see different money, but it is not that different from Argentina. You need to go further into UR.

Bring your walking shoes. BA is very walk friendly and I find myself walking 5-10 kilometers a day without even thinking about it. San Telmo and Palermo are especially easy to explore. Just stay clear of La Boca and Constitucion.

Keep an eye on LandingpadBA's blog. They write an article once every 2-3 weeks or so. Useful for keeping you in the know. I've been to a couple of futbol games with them which should be considered as well. The Argentine fans are something else!

I would say depending on the companies cancellation policies book in advance. Better to be safe than sorry. Buenos Tours I imagine will be booked up around that time.

Street food, I'd swing by Nuestra Parrilla. That same site, Pick up the Fork is a god's send for food info.

Teatro Colon is a given as is the MALBA. Perhaps add on the PROA and MACBA. I would taxi in and out for the PROA though. I'm not a fan of the surrounding area in La Boca and you should stick to the touristy section.

I dont know much about tango or luggage storage, but I am sure tons of suggestions are coming at you.
Flying Machine and abeyro like this.
Old Nov 22, 17, 11:42 am
Original Poster

RobertWill:

Any thoughts on which of the companies running day trips to Tigre Delta would be a good one to use? Since our prior cruise stop before BA is Montevideo a visit to Colonia might be needed then.
Old Nov 24, 17, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
After an hour of walking about the historical area we'd seen all we wanted to see in Colonia so I'm glad we went by road while staying in Montevideo rather than a day trip from BA.I certainly wouldn't put people off from going but as it wasn't our cup of tea.
Old Nov 24, 17, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
RobertWill:

Any thoughts on which of the companies running day trips to Tigre Delta would be a good one to use? Since our prior cruise stop before BA is Montevideo a visit to Colonia might be needed then.
Let me ask around about Tigre, but I don't know of anyone off the top of my head.

Generally speaking there two ways to do Tigre IMO:
1. Take the train into Tigre, walk over to the Puerto de Frutos and explore for a few hours. Walk along the river and have a nice stroll. Return. The Puerto is a large outdoor market full of booths selling everything from gaucho knives to homemade honey. There are also permanent fixtures that sell furniture and nic nacs.
2. Get to Tigre and take one of the "boat buses" or hire on a private "taxi boat" and go island hopping. You'll find these restaurant sort of resorts that are good for day trips, relaxing in the sun by the river, ping pong tables, soccer fields. They have kitchens so lunch/snacks won't be an issue.

I highly recommend doing something by boat. It's pretty unique seeing the delta island way of life. All the stores are stocked with supplies brought over by boats, bus boats, pier boat bus stops, taxi boats.
Old Nov 26, 17, 4:08 am

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
Did Tigre (quite) a while ago. I believe there are still two train routes to/from the city (although different city train terminals).

The boat trip was quite enjoyable....

Just wandering
Fred
Old Nov 26, 17, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
After an hour of walking about the historical area we'd seen all we wanted to see in Colonia so I'm glad we went by road while staying in Montevideo rather than a day trip from BA.I certainly wouldn't put people off from going but as it wasn't our cup of tea.
The port we will have stopped at before we get to BA is Montevideo. If Colonia is similar I will definitely skip it and go to the Tigre delta instead.
Old Nov 27, 17, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
The port we will have stopped at before we get to BA is Montevideo. If Colonia is similar I will definitely skip it and go to the Tigre delta instead.
The currency is quite similar between Montevideo and Colonia. Otherwise, Colonia is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the historic portion of the City is well worth a half-day, while Montevideo is a pleasant mid-sized city.

Attached is a Dengue (and Chikunguña y Zika) prevention flyer from the Municipality of Tigre.
http://www.tigre.gov.ar/no-le-hagas-lugar-al-dengue/

Search this Thread