FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Staying in BA: one day visit to Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1869571-staying-ba-one-day-visit-colonia-del-sacramento-uruguay.html)

abeyro Sep 29, 2017 6:22 pm

Staying in BA: one day visit to Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay

I will be in Buenos Aires for 2 weeks in November.
Would like to make a one day trip to Colonia.
Which boat company is the best to choose?
Can you suggest any particular week day for less congestion/crowd? ;)

Gaucho100K Oct 4, 2017 1:57 pm

November will be OK to take the boat prettty much any day of the week... unless you happen to choose a long holiday weekend - not sure there is one in November. I have to check.... :D

Im a Fan of BuqueBus, but there are others....

Safe travels !!!

worldiswide Oct 5, 2017 9:44 pm

Slightly different question.. if i have one day from BA ..visit colonia or Montevideo?

Eastbay1K Oct 5, 2017 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide (Post 28899139)
Slightly different question.. if i have one day from BA ..visit colonia or Montevideo?

Day trip - Colonia
Overnight (1 night) trip - Montevideo

Flying Machine Oct 6, 2017 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 28894112)
November will be OK to take the boat prettty much any day of the week... unless you happen to choose a long holiday weekend - not sure there is one in November. I have to check.... :D

Im a Fan of BuqueBus, but there are others....

Safe travels !!!

Such as SeaCat

worldiswide Oct 6, 2017 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 28899251)
Day trip - Colonia
Overnight (1 night) trip - Montevideo

Tell me more...

Eastbay1K Oct 7, 2017 10:02 am

Originally Posted by worldiswide (Post 28902920)
Tell me more...

If you want a day trip as a "single day" trip, a half day in Colonia is plenty. Early AM boat, late lunch, late afternoon return.

If you want a "single day" trip that means about 24 hours, Montevideo is a perfect place for a lovely afternoon, evening, and morning, before your afternoon return.

worldiswide Oct 7, 2017 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 28904276)
If you want a day trip as a "single day" trip, a half day in Colonia is plenty. Early AM boat, late lunch, late afternoon return.

If you want a "single day" trip that means about 24 hours, Montevideo is a perfect place for a lovely afternoon, evening, and morning, before your afternoon return.

Thanks for expanding on your post. What would be your suggestions for Montevideo.. we like architecture, history, etc.. and walking and exploring neighborhoods.

MSPeconomist Oct 9, 2017 1:14 am

If you decide on Montevideo, be careful when looking at hydrofoil schedules. Most of them take the hydrofoil to Colonia and then continue by bus.

Alternatively you can fly, IIRC including an AF tag on segment if the times work for you.

RobertWill Oct 9, 2017 10:42 am

Nov 27th is the only holiday I am aware coming up so I would avoid that weekend. General rules of thumb are to avoid Friday late afternoon, Sunday late afternoons and Monday mornings. Those are the days the weekenders and commuters are piling on.

As MSPeconomist pointed out keep an eye on what type of boat you are booking as well. The slower boat is significantly slower.

Marambio Oct 9, 2017 11:16 am

The late November bank holiday is November 20. It's possible that you won't find tickets for Buquebus, Colonia Express, et. al. as many people will go to the beach in Uruguay on that weekend.

If you fancy Montevideo, flying is always an option although it doesn't come particularly cheap. AR and Amaszonas fly from AEP. AF operates from EZE, a tag on the CDG-EZE segment in some days (I think it's 5x weekly). While AF may be cheaper, it will probably take you longer to reach EZE from downtown BA than the flight per se.

malagajohn Oct 9, 2017 2:27 pm

Are AF not cancelling the MVD flight sometime soon?

malagajohn Oct 9, 2017 2:32 pm

The 20th November is the Dia de la Soberania Nacional !

Flying Machine Oct 9, 2017 3:13 pm

Note: The ground transportation cost (Taxi) from MVD to the City Center is quite high around $35 USD One-way and the Bus is real slow.. I would avoid flying if I could. If you time it right you can do SeaCat RT for about $60 USD. Hydrofoil to Colonia and a 90-120 minute ride by bus to Tres Cruces Bus Terminal all in.. (offers on the Uruguay Site) They also have a reasonable ground package with hotel as well

https://www.seacatcolonia.com.ar/

Use the flags on the upper right

worldiswide Oct 9, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks for all the details on dates and times, fast and slow boats. I thought there was a fast boat to Montevideo with no bus..was I mistaken..