Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Has anyone visited/dined at these wineries in Mendoza?

Old Aug 31, 17, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion

I have been to Mendoza before, but now coming back with a large group of friends. My goal for the trip is to spend half the time in Lujan/Maipu and the other half in Uco Valley. My driver / guide is suggesting some places I haven't been to before, so I am curious what you know about them.

Allandes

Finca Dagostino (lunch)

Lagarde

Gimenez Rilli

Monteviejo (lunch)

Finca la Anita (lunch)

RJ Vinedos

---

I have previously visited, Alta Vista, Achaval-Ferrer, La Azul, Cuvelier los Andes, Vina Cobos, Catena, El Enemigo (also suggested for this trip), Altocedro (also suggested for this trip), Tapiz, Salentein, and others.
Old Aug 31, 17, 9:16 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
I have visited with all of the above with the exception of one (Allandes). I would suggest doing Lagarde for Lunch and not missing RJ Vinedos which is owned by a fine Gentleman (Raul Joffre) and run mostly by his daughters.....

Not a fan of Monteviejo and Finca La Anita, but that doesnt have to mean anything in terms of your planning, but I would do Gimenez Rilli and Dagostino before going to either of the firstly mentioned.
Old Aug 31, 17, 9:16 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Also, try to see if you can get to visit Los Noques..... great little place (and wines).
Old Aug 31, 17, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Gaucho100K. I knew you would have insights.

My primary interest in visiting Monteviejo is that the food is now prepared by Nadia Heron (previously of Nadia O.F.)... several of us met at her previous restaurant so it would be nice in that way. Maybe we pair it with a tasting at Cuvelier los Andes (one of my favorites) or Flechas.

They are offering to open Lagarde for a private dinner for us, though I know they normally only serve lunch.

I think what I would like is to introduce my friends to a couple of well-known wineries, and balance that each day with one of these lesser-known, off the grid wineries.
Old Aug 31, 17, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Another thing I'm trying to decide is whether to splurge for a lunch or dinner at Siete Fuegos.

I'm in love with the setting, but am sure you can have just as good an asado at lots of other places.

If we go there, it's really for the show.
Old Sep 2, 17, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Gimenez Rilli is one of my favorites for a tasting. Their Joyas de familia is excellent. Can't comment on the food there, though.
Old Sep 2, 17, 11:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by BostonGuy View Post
Another thing I'm trying to decide is whether to splurge for a lunch or dinner at Siete Fuegos.

I'm in love with the setting, but am sure you can have just as good an asado at lots of other places.

If we go there, it's really for the show.
I haven't been to any of the other vineyards you mention, but Siete Fuegos is indeed spectacular, and its restaurant I rank among the best in Argentina (at least 2 years ago when we went there). I would definitely eat there during any stay in Mendoza.
Old Sep 3, 17, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by BostonGuy View Post
Thanks Gaucho100K. I knew you would have insights.

My primary interest in visiting Monteviejo is that the food is now prepared by Nadia Heron (previously of Nadia O.F.)... several of us met at her previous restaurant so it would be nice in that way. Maybe we pair it with a tasting at Cuvelier los Andes (one of my favorites) or Flechas.

They are offering to open Lagarde for a private dinner for us, though I know they normally only serve lunch.

I think what I would like is to introduce my friends to a couple of well-known wineries, and balance that each day with one of these lesser-known, off the grid wineries.
Marcelo and I are Friends, with that said I wouldn't overlook Monteviejo. I have had several private lunches there cooked in the hearth of the main room. The balcony/patio overlooking the vineyards is just spectacular and with a group of friends they would be impressed with the compound (perhaps you could arrange another tasting there as well)Perhaps if he is there he may break out his Guitar for a song or two.. For more information read this:

http://www.blackdresstraveler.com/20...o-mendoza.html

While Raul Joffre may be the best dressed owner of a Winery I know , he is not involved outside of his office in BsAs. His Daughters do run the place and I'm not that impressed with the style of the Wines produced or the Winery.. (just personal taste) Its just not the type of place I would try with a group in tow. Close by is Familia Cassone and Federico would make a fun outing for your group. Just a thought.. Have fun and your blog is very nicely put together! Thanks and Happy Drinking..

Search this Thread