FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Avianca Argentina to start operations in July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1843484-avianca-argentina-start-operations-july.html)

Marambio May 19, 2017 11:28 am

Avianca Argentina to start operations in July

According to Aviacionline, which is usually a serious source for aviation news in this country, Avianca Argentina is starting operations next July.

First two routes should be AEP-ROS and AEP-PMY, both daily. Puerto Madryn is nowadays only served by Andes 5 times a week, so it's a big capacity increase on the route. Rosario surprises me as perhaps it is under-served (2x daily by AR/AU) but it's quite close to Buenos Aires - most people would drive or take a coach instead of flying. MDQ and SFN could come next, although Santa Fe Airport is closing today for 3 months.

There are still no news about their FPP, though. I have heard Avianca Argentina will eventually become a member of the Star Alliance (they need to operate for a few months until *A admits them) but no source can tell whether they will join Life Miles, Amigo (Avianca Brasil) or create their own programme

---

Off-topic, but worth mentioning since this is FlyerTalk, is the fact that until the end of May there's a special offer for converting Amex (Argentina) Membership Rewards points to BA/IB Avios. The usual exchange rate is 1,000 MR points = 800 Avios but now until May 31st they are doing 1 MR point = 1 Avios, i.e. a 25% increase. I have already transfered a few points to my Executive Club account as doing this transaction is also considered a "movement" in the account, so it postpones the Avios expiry date for a further 36 months. There's a cost of 199 ARS per transaction with a minimum of 1,000 MR points, which of course you have to pay with American Express :)

malagajohn May 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Marambio (Post 28333719)
According to Aviacionline, which is usually a serious source for aviation news in this country, Avianca Argentina is starting operations next July.

First two routes should be AEP-ROS and AEP-PMY, both daily. Puerto Madryn is nowadays only served by Andes 5 times a week, so it's a big capacity increase on the route. Rosario surprises me as perhaps it is under-served (2x daily by AR/AU) but it's quite close to Buenos Aires - most people would drive or take a coach instead of flying. MDQ and SFN could come next, although Santa Fe Airport is closing today for 3 months.

There are still no news about their FPP, though. I have heard Avianca Argentina will eventually become a member of the Star Alliance (they need to operate for a few months until *A admits them) but no source can tell whether they will join Life Miles, Amigo (Avianca Brasil) or create their own programme

---

Off-topic, but worth mentioning since this is FlyerTalk, is the fact that until the end of May there's a special offer for converting Amex (Argentina) Membership Rewards points to BA/IB Avios. The usual exchange rate is 1,000 MR points = 800 Avios but now until May 31st they are doing 1 MR point = 1 Avios, i.e. a 25% increase. I have already transfered a few points to my Executive Club account as doing this transaction is also considered a "movement" in the account, so it postpones the Avios expiry date for a further 36 months. There's a cost of 199 ARS per transaction with a minimum of 1,000 MR points, which of course you have to pay with American Express :)

Thanks for the heads up on the Avios exchange!

malagajohn May 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Avian Argentina ( I think thats how they want be called) is a subsidiary of Avianca Brasil.

There is no direct relationship with Avianca group , although we all know that Efrahamovich is the guy that rules in all the companies

Flying Machine May 19, 2017 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 28334616)
Avian Argentina ( I think thats how they want be called) is a subsidiary of Avianca Brasil.

There is no direct relationship with Avianca group , although we all know that Efrahamovich is the guy that rules in all the companies

Thanks to both of the posters for their insight.. Nice to know that Star Alliance entry may be imminent.. Safe Travels..