Search

Using miles for domestic travel in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Using miles for domestic travel in Argentina

Hi all

Spending a week in Argentina with EZE as point of entry, Is there a way to avoid paying super expensive tickets by using miles? By using miles I mean purchasing them as I don't currently own any. I've tried with Avios but FTE isn't bookable & this is manly where I Want to go, BRC & FTE to be exact.

I know Star Alliance miles aren't worth much down there, I was thinking maybe Skyteam with the national airline...

Many thanks in advance for your help
Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:08 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
AR operates to BRC and FTE from AEP/EZE which is in SkyTeam.
4M operates to BRC and FTE from AEP which is in oneworld.

What do you mean by "I've tried with Avios but FTE isn't bookable"? You may need to call BAEC to book some routes.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help well on the BA site I see flights to BRC but not to FTE for instance.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to make sure there's availability. Just because a flight exists on an airline you could theoretically use miles on, you can't use miles unless the airline publishes availabilty in a way that's avialable to the airline you have miles with.

LATAM is notorious for having problems at times making their inventory available to other oneworld airlines. And on some routes that are expensive (because demand outstrips supply), they may not release much in the way of award seats anyway. (I know these things from following the LATAM forum for several years and the AA forum for many many years.)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we move your query to the Argentina forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I don't know anything about buying miles but I do know from first hand experience that redeeming oneworld miles on LATAM is almost impossible, just like using LATAM kilometres in oneworld airlines.

Your safest bet is on Skyteam, especially because everywhere LATAM Argentina flies, so does AR and with more daily frequencies. I have used AF/KL miles on AR without much trouble.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Marambio
I don't know anything about buying miles but I do know from first hand experience that redeeming oneworld miles on LATAM is almost impossible, just like using LATAM kilometres in oneworld airlines.

Your safest bet is on Skyteam, especially because everywhere LATAM Argentina flies, so does AR and with more daily frequencies. I have used AF/KL miles on AR without much trouble.
I'd agree with that you'd be better using Skyteam.

LAN awards using Avios on the most expensive domestic routes here are impossible to get even when you're flexible with dates.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'd agree with that you'd be better using Skyteam.

LAN awards using Avios on the most expensive domestic routes here are impossible to get even when you're flexible with dates.
I've seen some availability AEP-BRC for instance, haven't tried booking but it shows available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.