Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Best Steak Houses in BsAs according to WSJ:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-5-b...ide-1507826106

What do you think?
I think I can't read the article because I don't subscribe to the Murdoch Business Rag Daily.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I think I can't read the article because I don't subscribe to the Murdoch Business Rag Daily.
Sorry about that, let me see if there is an open link (are others having the same issue) ?

Last edited by Flying Machine; Oct 12, 2017 at 7:24 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
http://www.twitter.com/PickUpTheFork...89171660234752

Try this one and click on the link in the pop up..
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Fervor (I think of them as almost more seafood than steak) and Misasol are the top two, with La Cabrera also on the list of five.

I suspect Gaucho100K would disagree.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Fervor (I think of them as almost more seafood than steak) and Misasol are the top two, with La Cabrera also on the list of five.

I suspect Gaucho100K would disagree.
I am not familiar with Misasol. Where is it located?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I am not familiar with Misasol. Where is it located?
I think he means Mirasol. I ate there once, and it was good, but it was also several years ago.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._District.html
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:54 am

This list has several steak houses on it along with other "essential" restaurants. What are your favorites ? Read on:
https://www.eater.com/maps/best-buen...restaurants-38

Last edited by Flying Machine; Oct 17, 2017 at 9:24 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:26 pm

Av. Chile 499

El Baqueano

Chef Fernando Rivarola uses the country's native ingredients to showcase Argentina's vast biodiversity and ancient cooking methods. It's not uncommon to see dishes like llama carpaccio, alligator empanadas, or a faux-sirloin dish that's really pacú river fish. The ever-changing seasonal menu is paired with local wines selected by co-owner and sommelier Gabriela Lafuente. El Baqueano might not have the most romantic decor, but it's the most distinctively Argentine tasting menu in the city, and for about 80 dollars per person, a total steal. [$$$$]

Well then, I will be staying in San Telmo this November and will be avoiding this this place like a plaque.
Indeed, USD 160 for a meal for two (with possible adds-up) is seriously a place anything else than a tourist trap?
Definitely a best priced place in a country where the local purchase power is around USD 1000 per month. LOL.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abeyro
[I]Av. Chile 499

El Baqueano
Um ... have you priced a decent a la carte steak in the city recently?

Not a tourist trap. The same dinner in NYC would be $200+pp in NYC. You want to compare a city's "top dining" (i.e., multi-course tasting menu by a renowned chef) with local purchase power? Come to San Francisco, or New York City. Dinner for 2 with a modest bottle of wine is $1000.

Oh, and your gratuity in la Argentina will be a modest 10%.

This is my favorite restaurant in Buenos Aires. See the thread title as to one the of the reasons.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
[I]Av. Chile 499

El Baqueano
Of course it's going to be more expensive. Fer and Gaby don't serve feedlot finished caimán, llama, viscacha or ñandú in their signature dishes

And yes, this is also my favorite restaurant in BA.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Of course it's going to be more expensive. Fer and Gaby don't serve feedlot finished caimán, llama, viscacha or ñandú in their signature dishes

And yes, this is also my favorite restaurant in BA.
And that horrible horrible restaurant made #19 in Latin America on the 2017 Pellegrino list.

http://www.theworlds50best.com/latin...-Baqueano.html

I am looking forward to another "non overrated steak" meal there in January.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well then, I will be staying in San Telmo this November and will be avoiding this this place like a plaque.
Indeed, USD 160 for a meal for two (with possible adds-up) is seriously a place anything else than a tourist trap?
I wouldn't pay near that anywhere in the world.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Went to El Mirasol in Recoleta last Sunday. Service was fine. Steaks were huge but nothing to write home about. Some of the other dishes were sub-par. Hubby's salad had three main ingredients, two of which were obviously out of a can and the third wasn't ripe.

We were supposed to go to Le Grill but couldn't make it. Went to Cabana de las Lilas instead. Definitely higher quality food overall and a most impressive wine list, which Gaucho100k explained to us has very modest markups compared to wine lists in the US. Would recommend las Lilas. Wish we could have tried Le Grill.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
I see Le Grill mentioned a few times here in this thread, turns out we are staying pretty close by so might check that out. Are reservations recommended?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DG206
I see Le Grill mentioned a few times here in this thread, turns out we are staying pretty close by so might check that out. Are reservations recommended?
They couldn't hurt, but I've never been when it has been over capacity. You can make easy reservations on restorando.com.ar - and from time to time, they have American Express discounts when booking there. (They did not last week, and for unrelated reasons, I didn't eat there.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.