Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Trip to Buenos Aires (and Montevideo) for young couple in August?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat

I thought I would post my queries on a week-long trip to Buenos Aires and Montevideo for a young couple here, as I hope there might be some Buenos Aires and/or Montevideo natives here

My partner is going away on work for three months and we thought we would take a holiday together to somewhere new for us just before he goes away (in September). I have thought of Buenos Aires in the last week of August (with a two day/one night stay in Montevideo also). I know the weather won't be particularly warm, but coming from Scotland that is nothing new for us , nor is it a concern.

My queries are, and I hope some of you can help:
1. Are two days/one night enough for Montevideo? I hear it's not that bustling a city.
2. For Buenos Aires I was looking at either the Novotel Buenos Aires or the "Anselmo Buenos Aires, Curio Collection by Hilton". The Curio would normally have been my first choice as I have gold status with HHonors, but have since read that San Telmo isn't the safest place. This hotel is between Avenida Independencia and Avenida San Juan. Is this a particularly risky area? I liked the look of this hotel, and it seems there are two metro stops (San Juan and Independencia) close by for easy public transport to the direct centre. Or would you recommend the Novotel over the Curio?

I am not particularly worried about safety in either Buenos Aires nor Montevideo. We are a young gay couple and I know a few people that have been to Buenos Aires and Montevideo with no issues whatsoever. I also think Buenos Aires and Montevideo are quite gay friendly cities, but could someone confirm or deny this?

Thank you so much in advance,

AMBurns1512
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
I am not a BA native but have lived here for more than 8 years , so hopefully my views will be helpful. The name malagajohn is an old monicker from when I lived in Spain , I was actually born in Scotland!

Buenos Aires is like any big city. Be sensible and you will be safe. Don’t flash cash about and be careful when if you have a decent phone. San Telmo is a vibrant area with good night life. We live about 45 minutes away but we often go for drinks and meals to San Telmo. We have a friend staying in the Anselmo in 10 days time, so I can maybe give you an accurate report on the hotel and its exact location then.

The Novotel is right in the centre about two blocks from the Obelisk. If you are in town for business for a day its fine but I would look for somewhere in San Telmo, Recoleta or somewhere in Palermo. Better restaurants, better bars and better nightlife would be the principal reasons.

Two days and one night in Montevideo is fine. It’s a quieter city but there are things to do depending on your own interests. I would look to stay close to Punta Carretas, Pocitos or the World Trade Center. Again better restaurants and bars would be my reason.

For travelling between the two cities, I would recommend the direct ferry which takes just over 2 hours. If you have loads of air miles or can get the BUE-MVD flight priced into your intercontinental ticket, just ignore my comment.

I haven’t seen any gay couples having problems in either city, so I think you guys will be fine.

Don’t hesitate to post for more concrete info or pm if you wish.

Cheers.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

malagajohn knows BA far better than me...I'm just a country bumpkin who only visits when I really have to.
We've stayed in the Novotel and enjoyed it. It had a decent and reasonably priced restaurant when we were there although that was a few years ago. I was getting rid of some points hence why I chose it but I'd happily pay cash to stay there again. From what I've seen apart from the theatre there isn't much going on around the Ave Corrientes area although we didn't venture far at night when we were there.
I personally prefer the Puerto Madero area in the evening as it has a decent choice of bars/cafes/restaurants all close to each other. The Hilton Puerto Madero gets good reviews and is the hotel I usually recommend to people I know who are visiting for the first time.
I've only used the Subte once and caught a guy trying to pickpocket me - he wasn't very good at it - hence why I much prefer just jumping in a taxi or better still walking....the August weather is ideal for walking as summer is far too hot.
Montevideo is worth the visit even if it's just to say you've been there. I find like it a mini version of BA to be honest.

As for being a gay couple. I really don't see you having any problem at all in either city.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I am a few blocks from the Anselmo (actually, as we speak). The neighbo(u)rhood is fine. The same street smarts you would use in any European city would serve you just fine. I tend to avoid the area south of Av. San Juan esp. at night, and if you go up to Caminito (La Boca), take a taxi. Also, inter-neighbo(u)rhood at night I suggest taxis (but that would be anywhere in the city).

I think Puerto Madero is too sterile (as a place to stay) but it is a very short walk from here, when I want to go to one of the restaurants, or just take a more peaceful walk.

2 days seems plenty for MVD. I've been once, and it was for 2 partial days and one night and it was almost enough.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:00 am

As Hiddy and EastbayIK say taxis are a decent option in Bs As . Althought they have gone up in price over the last couple of years they are still cheap by UK standards.

The Hilton in Pto Madero is fine but the whole area is quite sterile and artificial as EB says.

Another option to consider would be the Sofitel BA , given your Accor status . I love the hotel although it is a little close to the Retiro area , which can be a little scarey at night .
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malagajohn
I am not a BA native but have lived here for more than 8 years , so hopefully my views will be helpful. The name malagajohn is an old monicker from when I lived in Spain , I was actually born in Scotland!

Buenos Aires is like any big city. Be sensible and you will be safe. Don’t flash cash about and be careful when if you have a decent phone. San Telmo is a vibrant area with good night life. We live about 45 minutes away but we often go for drinks and meals to San Telmo. We have a friend staying in the Anselmo in 10 days time, so I can maybe give you an accurate report on the hotel and its exact location then.

The Novotel is right in the centre about two blocks from the Obelisk. If you are in town for business for a day its fine but I would look for somewhere in San Telmo, Recoleta or somewhere in Palermo. Better restaurants, better bars and better nightlife would be the principal reasons.

Two days and one night in Montevideo is fine. It’s a quieter city but there are things to do depending on your own interests. I would look to stay close to Punta Carretas, Pocitos or the World Trade Center. Again better restaurants and bars would be my reason.

For travelling between the two cities, I would recommend the direct ferry which takes just over 2 hours. If you have loads of air miles or can get the BUE-MVD flight priced into your intercontinental ticket, just ignore my comment.

I haven’t seen any gay couples having problems in either city, so I think you guys will be fine.

Don’t hesitate to post for more concrete info or pm if you wish.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
malagajohn knows BA far better than me...I'm just a country bumpkin who only visits when I really have to.
We've stayed in the Novotel and enjoyed it. It had a decent and reasonably priced restaurant when we were there although that was a few years ago. I was getting rid of some points hence why I chose it but I'd happily pay cash to stay there again. From what I've seen apart from the theatre there isn't much going on around the Ave Corrientes area although we didn't venture far at night when we were there.
I personally prefer the Puerto Madero area in the evening as it has a decent choice of bars/cafes/restaurants all close to each other. The Hilton Puerto Madero gets good reviews and is the hotel I usually recommend to people I know who are visiting for the first time.
I've only used the Subte once and caught a guy trying to pickpocket me - he wasn't very good at it - hence why I much prefer just jumping in a taxi or better still walking....the August weather is ideal for walking as summer is far too hot.
Montevideo is worth the visit even if it's just to say you've been there. I find like it a mini version of BA to be honest.

As for being a gay couple. I really don't see you having any problem at all in either city.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I am a few blocks from the Anselmo (actually, as we speak). The neighbo(u)rhood is fine. The same street smarts you would use in any European city would serve you just fine. I tend to avoid the area south of Av. San Juan esp. at night, and if you go up to Caminito (La Boca), take a taxi. Also, inter-neighbo(u)rhood at night I suggest taxis (but that would be anywhere in the city).

I think Puerto Madero is too sterile (as a place to stay) but it is a very short walk from here, when I want to go to one of the restaurants, or just take a more peaceful walk.

2 days seems plenty for MVD. I've been once, and it was for 2 partial days and one night and it was almost enough.
Thank you all for your advice, it has been really helpful and informative! I'll get right on it! Quite excited to visit the Southern Hemisphere for the first time!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
If you Guys are into Wine.... we need to talk.....
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
You are going to have fun! ^^^

The transition to spring will start in August so it could range from very cold in the morning to quite hot in the afternoon. I was there last year and would layer a light fleece or sweater which I could remove when it got hot.

I stayed in Retiro which most people would not recommend(I booked my hotel as part of a vacation package before doing research ) and it was ok. The location is central which is nice, but there is nothing going on at night and it can get a little bit dangerous. I think I would pick Recoleta next time.

What kind of things are you interested in and do you already have an idea of what to you want to do?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
1. Are two days/one night enough for Montevideo? I hear it's not that bustling a city.
One night is perfect for Montevideo. I once planned on staying three nights there and ended up going somewhere else after night 2 as there was not much to do. Still, it's worth a detour.

2. For Buenos Aires I was looking at either the Novotel Buenos Aires or the "Anselmo Buenos Aires, Curio Collection by Hilton". The Curio would normally have been my first choice as I have gold status with HHonors, but have since read that San Telmo isn't the safest place. This hotel is between Avenida Independencia and Avenida San Juan. Is this a particularly risky area? I liked the look of this hotel, and it seems there are two metro stops (San Juan and Independencia) close by for easy public transport to the direct centre. Or would you recommend the Novotel over the Curio?
Location wise, between the Novotel and the Anselmo I would definitely stay in the Anselmo. The location is very good, just off the main plaza in San Telmo, very touristic with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby. Also Puerto Madero is a few minutes of taxi away (even more bars and restaurants), as is downtown Buenos Aires. The Novotel is too centric. Other than offices and (Spanish-speaking) theaters there isn't much to do in Corrientes avenue.

I am not particularly worried about safety in either Buenos Aires nor Montevideo. We are a young gay couple and I know a few people that have been to Buenos Aires and Montevideo with no issues whatsoever. I also think Buenos Aires and Montevideo are quite gay friendly cities, but could someone confirm or deny this?
Just take the normal precautions and you will be fine (no expensives watches, wallet in the front poket, try not to play so much with your phone while on the street). BA has its ugly areas but they are very far away from the touristic zones. At any upscale restaurant or bar you can ask the waiter to call you a radiotaxi if you don't want to hail one on the street. Uber is also available and I've had good experiences with them here, it's usually half the price of a taxi. BA and Montevideo are both gay friendly cities.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
If you Guys are into Wine.... we need to talk.....
I like wine ...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Psyduck1
You are going to have fun! ^^^

The transition to spring will start in August so it could range from very cold in the morning to quite hot in the afternoon. I was there last year and would layer a light fleece or sweater which I could remove when it got hot.

I stayed in Retiro which most people would not recommend(I booked my hotel as part of a vacation package before doing research ) and it was ok. The location is central which is nice, but there is nothing going on at night and it can get a little bit dangerous. I think I would pick Recoleta next time.

What kind of things are you interested in and do you already have an idea of what to you want to do?
That type of weather sounds fine, to be honest. We quite like going to museums and art galleries, as well as simply walking around and getting a feel of the place. So far we've stuck to looking at tripadvisor to have a look at what BA can offer, of which there seems lots!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marambio
One night is perfect for Montevideo. I once planned on staying three nights there and ended up going somewhere else after night 2 as there was not much to do. Still, it's worth a detour.

Location wise, between the Novotel and the Anselmo I would definitely stay in the Anselmo. The location is very good, just off the main plaza in San Telmo, very touristic with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby. Also Puerto Madero is a few minutes of taxi away (even more bars and restaurants), as is downtown Buenos Aires. The Novotel is too centric. Other than offices and (Spanish-speaking) theaters there isn't much to do in Corrientes avenue.

Just take the normal precautions and you will be fine (no expensives watches, wallet in the front poket, try not to play so much with your phone while on the street). BA has its ugly areas but they are very far away from the touristic zones. At any upscale restaurant or bar you can ask the waiter to call you a radiotaxi if you don't want to hail one on the street. Uber is also available and I've had good experiences with them here, it's usually half the price of a taxi. BA and Montevideo are both gay friendly cities.
Thanks for your help. I was leaning towards the Anselmo so this is nice to hear. And thanks for your advice, it's really appreciated.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
That type of weather sounds fine, to be honest. We quite like going to museums and art galleries, as well as simply walking around and getting a feel of the place. So far we've stuck to looking at tripadvisor to have a look at what BA can offer, of which there seems lots!
There are a few small museums within a few blocks, including the MACBA and MAMBA on Av. San Juan - these are good for when you have a half hour or so to spare, and want to do something nearby. Also very close is a restaurant, El Baqueano, which is an experience you won't likely have many other places. The menu is of all native land and water creatures, prepared in a quite refined manner, and remains under US$100 pp. The same meal elsewhere would be $200++. I try and make it on just about every one of my visits. One cannot live on steak/empanadas/pizza alone.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:19 pm

We spent some time in the Anselmo this weekend , as some friends stayed there.

The hotel is quite small . It seems to be quite a new build with the old facade being maintained. Rooms are well furnished but quite small . Not sure if your gold status will count for much as almost all the rooms are the same size - the corner rooms are bigger but there are only a few of these.

Breakfast seemed decent enough . The bar was also decent with a 2 x 1 in wine every evening for a couple of hours. Our friends didnt try lunch or dinner as there are good options locally . Our favourite parilla La Brigada is only two blocks away.

The hotel is situated in Dorrego square which is the principal venue for the antiques fair held every Sunday.

Not sure how many days you plan to be in BA , but if you can live with the smallish rooms , this place will be just fine.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL
I lived in San Telmo for 6 months in that same area (was located at Estados Unidos and Chacabuco). It is "grittier" than the more polished neighborhoods, but also has a very real Buenos Aires barrio feel to it which a lot of people really like. Think cobblestone streets, old street lamps and traditional building facades. Some of the riff raff drifts in from the neighboring areas, but there are a lot of cops around and just dont wear anything flashy. Avoid going further than Parque Lezama. You'll fit right in. Nothing to worry about.

Coffeetown for good caffeine fixes, Banco Rojo or La Cresta for tasty lunches, Nuestra Parrilla for possibly the best street meat in town (try their choripan).

I second La Brigada for dinner at least once.

Bar Sur for a tango show, Sunday street fair runs on Defensa...San Telmo is a cool place!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.