Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Mendoza - Wine Based Trip- Where to Stay?-May 2017 (Auberge Au Vin)

Mendoza - Wine Based Trip- Where to Stay?-May 2017 (Auberge Au Vin)

Old Jan 1, 17, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Question Mendoza - Wine Based Trip- Where to Stay?-May 2017 (Auberge Au Vin)

Hello everyone,

I'm in the midst of planning a trip to South America this spring (well spring in North America) and plan to visit Uruguay (Montevideo), Argentina (BA & Mendoza) and Chile (Santiago).

While accommodations will be a mix of airbnb and hotels (mainly Starwoods and Marriotts as I get a work discount there), I'm at a bit of a loss of where to stay in Mendoza.
I'm wondering if it's worth staying at the Auberge Au Vin in (well 80km outside) Mendoza or if I should stay within the city of Mendoza?
My thing is that while the Auberge looks nice, it's so remote that I'll be stuck at the mercy of the hotel in terms of doing a tour or tour availability due to not being in the city, not to mention the hassle of setting up a car and such.

Any thought's or suggestions?

Much appreciated in advance?
Old Jan 2, 17, 3:49 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
For Car Service and Private Guide, you need to contact Miguel Sanz. Miguel is a full service guide, and has all the connections you need to make your trip a true high-end Wine Experience. Miguel will be the best investment you make for your Mendoza leg of this trip.

Search this Forum and you will find plenty of excellent reviews of Miguel and his services.

As for staying outside the city, I actually think its a good thing... Mendoza proper can be nice, but the real Mendoza Wine Country experience is when you stay in a remote location overlooking the Andes.
Old Jan 2, 17, 4:31 am

look into this my friend

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm in the midst of planning a trip to South America this spring (well spring in North America) and plan to visit Uruguay (Montevideo), Argentina (BA & Mendoza) and Chile (Santiago).

While accommodations will be a mix of airbnb and hotels (mainly Starwoods and Marriotts as I get a work discount there), I'm at a bit of a loss of where to stay in Mendoza.
I'm wondering if it's worth staying at the Auberge Au Vin in (well 80km outside) Mendoza or if I should stay within the city of Mendoza?
My thing is that while the Auberge looks nice, it's so remote that I'll be stuck at the mercy of the hotel in terms of doing a tour or tour availability due to not being in the city, not to mention the hassle of setting up a car and such.

Old Jan 2, 17, 4:32 am

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g312781-d4714371-Reviews-Driving_Mendoz

Hello everyone,

Old Jan 2, 17, 4:45 am

Mendoza

I don't like to propose my self, but if you writ to me or read about my service will do something interesting.
I stay on the city and the Sheraton is great.
[email protected]
shuuy likes this.
Old Jan 2, 17, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
For Car Service and Private Guide, you need to contact Miguel Sanz. Miguel is a full service guide, and has all the connections you need to make your trip a true high-end Wine Experience. Miguel will be the best investment you make for your Mendoza leg of this trip.

Search this Forum and you will find plenty of excellent reviews of Miguel and his services.

As for staying outside the city, I actually think its a good thing... Mendoza proper can be nice, but the real Mendoza Wine Country experience is when you stay in a remote location overlooking the Andes.
So would you recommend staying at the Auberge and then using that as my "central" point to get around and visiting the vineyards as opposed to being based in Mendoza?

I don't need anything too high end and also don't need a private tour. Just want something not aimed at "noobs" or casual wine drinkers since I'm training to become a sommelier. Hell, I don't even need an English tour since I speak Spanish fluently. I do admit my Spanish wine terminology is at a noob level since my tastings are always in English though.

I will PM Miguel shortly though and go from there.
Old Jan 2, 17, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Considering stopping into Mendoza from and onwards to SCL would mean an additional $1100+ CAD, it's looking less and less likely that I'll be going to Mendoza unfortunately.

Seems I'm getting charged the foreigner rate for this unfortunately.

Edit- seems it would make more sense/cheaper, to go from BA to SCL and then go from SCL to MDZ as the flights are a fraction of what my original plan (BA > MDZ > SCL) would be. Am I right in leaning towards this option?

Last edited by iceblueshoes; Jan 2, 17 at 10:03 pm
Old Jan 3, 17, 4:36 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Edit- seems it would make more sense/cheaper, to go from BA to SCL and then go from SCL to MDZ as the flights are a fraction of what my original plan (BA > MDZ > SCL) would be. Am I right in leaning towards this option?
In two weeks, I start LAX-(SCL)-COR on LANTAM (AA award)
COR-MDZ on AR as a rather pricey flight at foreigner rate, but not too bad.
MDZ-SCL on Sky (pretty cheap and WAY less than LANTAM)

Perhaps buy Buenos A. to MDZ on Aerolinas Argentinas, followed by MDZ to SCL on either Sky or bus? Also, Sky does not fly the route 7 days a week.
Old Jan 3, 17, 11:02 am

Considering stopping into Mendoza from and onwards to SCL would mean an additional $1100+ CAD, it's looking less and less likely that I'll be going to Mendoza unfortunately.

Seems I'm getting charged the foreigner rate for this unfortunately.

Yes, this should be a good option. For the SCL to MDZ leg I recommend you consider the bus ride, and not only for the cost but for the scenery crossing the Andes.

This thread will provide all the info you need...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...argentina.html
Old Jan 3, 17, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You should be able to find quite attractive SCL/MDZ airfares, which are not residency-dependent. It is a very short flight, and is not much of a backtrack. (Note that most airlines will no longer interline your luggage on separate tickets, even within the same alliance, so you will need to allow time for arrival and departure formalities @ SCL should you do this without a stopover @ SCL.

If wine is your "thing" it would be a shame not to stop in Mendoza. During my last stay there, I used Miguel and we were extremely pleased. He'll put a day or two together for you better than anyone else, and you won't be subjected to tourbus hell.

I wouldn't want to stay out in the countryside for more than 1 night, but others may differ. The Sheraton was perfectly nice and the drive to/from the wineries was very nice. Besides, it avoided having to get transport to the countryside just to then start a wine tour. I also appreciate the opportunity to have a variety of dining options when not "stuck" at a resort or otherwise isolated locale.
Old Jan 3, 17, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info folks.

I did some quick flight searches and going from EZE to SCL to MDZ and back to SCL is about $400 which is a LOT more reasonable.
Going this route is better for me and I'd much rather do that than take the bus and spend who knows how long at the border.

As for the tour, I'd actually prefer to avoid a private tour due to the cost and am leaning towards a small group tour (6-8ppl max) but also depends on which wineries are visited.
Still keeping my options open of course.
I'm trying to keep this within a budget of sorts since Chile and Argentina aren't a major focus for the exam.

Maybe I'll hire a taxi for a day? But I still need to compare the price for that option as well.
Old Jan 4, 17, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

So my new wild idea for the day is to take the bus from Buenos Aires to Montevideo and from there fly onwards to Santiago.

Still crazy? lol
This is dependent on being able to get an overnight bus, but this brings me to my next questions, how are the highways in late May generally?
Old Jan 12, 17, 6:21 am

Location: Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C via Boston via New York
If money isn't an issue staying at The Vines is a must, we went for dinner and were floored by the views and service just at the winery and restaurant, would stay next time.
Old Jan 12, 17, 8:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
So my new wild idea for the day is to take the bus from Buenos Aires to Montevideo and from there fly onwards to Santiago.

Still crazy? lol
This is dependent on being able to get an overnight bus, but this brings me to my next questions, how are the highways in late May generally?
Did you check the Buquebus ferries? They're usually reasonable price and it's 3 hours vs. 12 on the road. I've never been on a bus to Montevideo but drove there many times. Other than peak summer (around this time of the year) there is not much traffic. From Montevideo to the border it's a single lane road which slows everything down a bit. From the border to Buenos Aires is a motorway, so the buses usually go at their maximum allowed speed.

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2 View Post
If money isn't an issue staying at The Vines is a must, we went for dinner and were floored by the views and service just at the winery and restaurant, would stay next time.
+1. With Madame we went for lunch last year and they willingly showed us some of the rooms. What we saw and the service at the restaurant made us think it's possibly one of the best hotels in the whole of South America.

Last edited by Marambio; Jan 12, 17 at 8:31 am
Old Jan 12, 17, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marambio View Post
Did you check the Buquebus ferries? They're usually reasonable price and it's 3 hours vs. 12 on the road. I've never been on a bus to Montevideo but drove there many times. Other than peak summer (around this time of the year) there is not much traffic. From Montevideo to the border it's a single lane road which slows everything down a bit. From the border to Buenos Aires is a motorway, so the buses usually go at their maximum allowed speed.

+1. With Madame we went for lunch last year and they willingly showed us some of the rooms. What we saw and the service at the restaurant made us think it's possibly one of the best hotels in the whole of South America.
bus?
I was planning on taking the bus from BA to Mendoza and the Ferry from Montevideo to BA.

I've looked around the buquebus site a bit to get an idea on pricing but can't book into May yet.

As for Mendoza, I ended booking the Sheraton in the city since my flight is later than I originally had planned.
Gives me a chance to explore a little before flying off SCL later in the evening.

Search this Thread