Looking for updated ATM advice in Argentina

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for updated ATM advice in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cyborg
I will be looking for a decent ATM during my visit to BA for the Flyertalk CowDo and a bit of wine shopping at Argenology so might just have a backup plan using USD at an authorized bank exchange.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
For the last couple COW DOs, I've just used an official foreign exchange place within walking distance of my hotel. Bring nice new hundred dollar (USA) bills and also your passport.

IIRC there's one on an upper floor in the biggish modern shopping mall (not the artsy one with the home stores and an art museum for special exhibits, but the one with sensible stores, IIRC nest to a school) near Recoleta graveyard and one along the street almost at the mall. I plan to ask the concierge at my hotel for updated information.There once had been a semiofficial place in the back of a very small mall almost across the street from Fervor but it seems to be long gone.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold

Last edited by cyborg; Aug 22, 2019 at 4:23 pm Reason: Moving on from flyertalk
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Anyone have recent experience with maximum ATM withdrawals BsAs?

I read above that Banco de la Nation and HSBC will allow 20,000 peso withdrawals, has anyone experienced that personally?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I went to the Galicia branch that I normally go to yesterday. I first tried for 6000 pesos, said it was not a valid transaction, then I tried for 4000 pesos and it was accepted with a 635 peso fee. I just checked and the conversion was 59.65 pesos to the US dollar (the interbank rate) and luckily my bank returns all fees. This was about 11:30 in the morning.

If I’m lazy I’m gonna go back there today if not I’m going to seek either HSBC or Banco de la Nation to see if I can get a higher withdrawal amount

Update: so I took a walk this morning to the Banco de la Nacion in Plaza Italia. When I entered the lobby and the talk was which machines have money I knew I was going to have an issue. But I was committed! Started off at 20,000, then went down by 2,000 increments until the transaction was completed at 4000 pesos.with a fee of 378 pesos. This is a different system Link rather than Banelco at Galicia.. Since the difference between the interbank rate and blue rate are so slim, I figured I’d stick with the machines for now. Just an observation but the ATM lobbies are rather busy these days in just two transactions there must’ve been a line of 15 people deep when I left. Guess I’ll go back later in the day before I go out tonight to the Galicia branch to see if I could top up once the machines are refilled. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Nov 8, 2019 at 7:04 am
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:19 am

20,000 pesos withdrawal cannot be verified

The reports of 20,000 pesos from HSBC and Banco de la Nation Cannot be verified.

I have no limits on my withdrawal from my bank, and checked HSBC and Banco de la Nation yesterday

The best I can withdraw is 4000 pesos from any ATM

Since the spread on the interbank and blue rate is so slim I thought I’d use my ATM more and was saving my USD.

If things don’t change I may have to rethink that next week.

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
For what it's worth, I've found that ATMs connected to the Link network (such as Banco Nación) tend to have lower transaction fees than machines that use the Banelco network. This was true most recently in September when I used a few machines. Banco Nación had the lowest fee percentage, while HSBC was the highest.

Just something to keep in mind for those who don't get ATM fees refunded.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
The reports of 20,000 pesos from HSBC and Banco de la Nation Cannot be verified.

I have no limits on my withdrawal from my bank, and checked HSBC and Banco de la Nation yesterday

The best I can withdraw is 4000 pesos from any ATM

Since the spread on the interbank and blue rate is so slim I thought I’d use my ATM more and was saving my USD.

If things don’t change I may have to rethink that next week.

Any thoughts?
After eight transactions over the last two weeks my best withdraws has been 5000 pesos. I’ve tried Banco de la Nación, Galicia, HSBC and Superville. This is not hearsay like the other statements but actual withdrawals. All fees have been returned by my bank and I’m averaging around 59.50 pesos to the dollar. So please do not have expectations of higher withdrawal amounts. My only caveat would be perhaps this is been since the CEPO. Enjoy your travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.