Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Low cost operations coming to Argentina?

Old Nov 18, 16, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1953173-l...ielo-argentino

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1954833-l...el-ano-proximo

Old Dec 18, 16, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
It will be interesting to see how Norwegian rolls out. Not only are they planning International Flights they are applying for Domestic Slots as well.. They have several new planes on order and going to dispatch them for Argentina Domestic Travels sometime in 2017 I believe..

UPDATE: Found the article that I had read..

http://allplane.tv/allplane/airlineb...s-in-argentina
Old Dec 18, 16, 3:10 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
I am not convinced that Norwegian is serious about Argentina. Other low cost start ups are further advanced in planning for start up some time next year.

There are two unanswered questions thats still have to be addressed.

What will the reaction be from Aerolineas Argentinas ? They make cash from the domestic market operation and are unlikely to stand by as new companies come in looking for market share.

Will AA2000 , the airport concession manager reduce tarriffs to allow low costs to compete and will they offer similar deals to Aerolineas and LATAM?
Old Dec 18, 16, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
I am not convinced that Norwegian is serious about Argentina. Other low cost start ups are further advanced in planning for start up some time next year.

There are two unanswered questions thats still have to be addressed.

What will the reaction be from Aerolineas Argentinas ? They make cash from the domestic market operation and are unlikely to stand by as new companies come in looking for market share.

Will AA2000 , the airport concession manager reduce tarriffs to allow low costs to compete and will they offer similar deals to Aerolineas and LATAM?
And then there's the other unanswered question - Does Norwegian have any idea what it is like to deal with labo(u)r issues in Argentina? Methinks that much of the rest of the world is like child's play when compared to Argentina's labo(u)r unions.
Old May 9, 17, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Seems like its moving forwad.

Board Approval Granted by Norwegian. Seems to me its going to move forward:

http://www.atwonline.com/airlines/no...head-argentina

Read on..
Old May 9, 17, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This could be fun to watch.
Old May 9, 17, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA/AA
It will be very interesting to see what their route network will look like. North American centric or Euro centric?
Old May 10, 17, 8:23 am

Most likely to be Eurocentric

UK , Spain and possibly a Scandinavian destination
Old May 10, 17, 9:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
Most likely to be Eurocentric

UK , Spain and possibly a Scandinavian destination
Norwegian has already spoken of flying LGW-EZE before the end of the year. I am really looking forward to this, not so much because of Norwegian per se but rather because this should lower the prices on BA, which on the LHR-EZE route is absurdly expensive. Spain could also be, though Iberia is starting BCN-EZE through its LCC, "Level", in a few months.

Re Scandinavia, I just checked and it amazes me that the 787-9 could fly EZE-ARN or EZE-OSL nonstop. Both are over 1,000km longer than EZE-FRA, currently the longest flight out of Buenos Aires, so we are talking of 15+ hour flights. On a low-cost. Phew!
Old May 10, 17, 12:15 pm

Norwegians business plan for Argentine was approved by the main board in Oslo yesterday

http://www.aviacionline.com/2017/05/...-en-argentina/

edited

Oops sorry , just saw that Flying machine posted the same post before me

Last edited by malagajohn; May 10, 17 at 12:17 pm Reason: similar post by Flying machine
Old May 11, 17, 11:06 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Avianca is in the news today, appears they are now cleared to commence local operations....?
Old May 12, 17, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jaymar01 View Post
It will be very interesting to see what their route network will look like. North American centric or Euro centric?
I disagree.

Ultra long-hauls are much costlier to operate and volumes aren't that strong, compared to Argentina-Brazil, Argentina-Chile.

Regional ops should be their bread and butter: quick turnarounds on single-aisle planes, no need to spend on crew lodging, etc. I just paid U$400 for GIG-MDZ flights on Aerolineas, and that's cheap. That's 1200 miles. If I shop really well, I can find GIG-JFK (4 times the distance) for U$600, but more likely U$800.

MDZ-GRU has a measly 3 weekly flights on G3, and they cost a fortune. You can fill planes with Brazilians every day of the week, year round to places like Mendoza, Bariloche, Ushuaia and El Calafate. And there's no shortage of Argentineans wanting to travel to Rio, Salvador, Recife, etc.

I know LH on a 787-9 sounds way sexier, but the reality is that these guys are rational and will look where there are the biggest potential profits, and right now, that's regionally.
Old May 12, 17, 9:05 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are these places domestic or international airports?

Do Argentina and Brazil allow "fifth freedom" flights?

Brazil already seems to have some carriers that are at least borderline LCCs. Azul is one example as well as GOL's domestic service.
Old May 12, 17, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

Do Argentina and Brazil allow "fifth freedom" flights?
Yes, and I'm sure you are aware of them, such as carriers that have either stopped @ EZE or GRU en route to/from SCL (or vice versa, such as AC), and the US carriers that used to fly to MVD with a stop in EZE.
Old May 12, 17, 9:39 am

True, but are these routes and airports considered special, or are the skies truly wide open down there? IIRC AF still has the tag on segment from EZE to MVD.

Search this Thread