Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Flying to Argentina next week - where to go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion

Let me start by saying I know Buenos Aires very well - I've made seven trips. I'm normally making a Mendoza trek because I am a huge wine fan, but it seems like the airport closure is going to eat an additional day or two of travel time if I go there.

So many other places I've been meaning to go - Bariloche, Iguazu... what else is nice this time of year? I must admit the election has me wiped out. I am traveling solo, could use a nice spa, lots of walking and scenery, good food, and to get as far from Facebook as possible.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I don't know if Punta del Este has much going on this early in the season, but it is probably worth looking into. Weather is already pretty decent, and low season rates should be available everywhere.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
Let me start by saying I know Buenos Aires very well - I've made seven trips. I'm normally making a Mendoza trek because I am a huge wine fan, but it seems like the airport closure is going to eat an additional day or two of travel time if I go there.

So many other places I've been meaning to go - Bariloche, Iguazu... what else is nice this time of year? I must admit the election has me wiped out. I am traveling solo, could use a nice spa, lots of walking and scenery, good food, and to get as far from Facebook as possible.
I flew into UAQ last week.. The buses were waiting outside and I was in the Mendoza BusTerminal in 2.5 Hours. Mendoza is very light on tourists and the Bodegas are all feeling the tourism pain. They will roll out the extra special red carpet until December 7th.. If you like Mendoza I wouldn't let the few hours take away from visiting.. I had a really nice week there (albeit I was working).. Safe Travels..
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I flew into UAQ last week.. The buses were waiting outside and I was in the Mendoza BusTerminal in 2.5 Hours. Mendoza is very light on tourists and the Bodegas are all feeling the tourism pain. They will roll out the extra special red carpet until December 7th.. If you like Mendoza I wouldn't let the few hours take away from visiting.. I had a really nice week there (albeit I was working).. Safe Travels..
And it seems everyone flies into UAQ instead of San Rafael. I love the Uco Valley, which is why I ask. But it looks like LATAM doesn't fly there and people say that Aerolineas can be unreliable...

I was thinking tourists would be particularly welcome right now.

Flying Machine, I've stayed at Lares de Chacras in Chacras de Coria, at the Park Hyatt and Sheraton in Mendoza, and at Vines of Mendoza. Any other wonderful lodging you would recommend? At a glance, all the fancy places are all still premium priced - I would rather invest in great wine and experiences than spend $500 a night on a place to stay.

I wish I were traveling with friends as wine tasting is more fun then - I've had everyone's favorite driver Miguel Sanz take me around a few times and have also done things with Trout and Wine, which was fun.

I'm deeply involved enough into Argentine wine that I'm tempted to rent a car and explore bodegas on my own, but then of course there is the matter of drinking and driving.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
And it seems everyone flies into UAQ instead of San Rafael. I love the Uco Valley, which is why I ask. But it looks like LATAM doesn't fly there and people say that Aerolineas can be unreliable...

I was thinking tourists would be particularly welcome right now.

Flying Machine, I've stayed at Lares de Chacras in Chacras de Coria, at the Park Hyatt and Sheraton in Mendoza, and at Vines of Mendoza. Any other wonderful lodging you would recommend? At a glance, all the fancy places are all still premium priced - I would rather invest in great wine and experiences than spend $500 a night on a place to stay.

I wish I were traveling with friends as wine tasting is more fun then - I've had everyone's favorite driver Miguel Sanz take me around a few times and have also done things with Trout and Wine, which was fun.

I'm deeply involved enough into Argentine wine that I'm tempted to rent a car and explore bodegas on my own, but then of course there is the matter of drinking and driving.
I believe all the "high end" spots are quite empty right now. For perspective, I had lunch at Tapiz with a Winemaker Buddy last week. We were the only 2 there and they only had 1 room occupied at the time. I know of all the places you have stayed and may I suggest "The Diplomat" in Mendoza City. I would think you could get it for about $75/night right now. At that price its a great quality/price/ratio.. Very nice hotel and in a good location.. Safe Travels
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:29 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post good options in the "deep" Valle de Uco

You mention that you want to "get away"... so I would suggest you book yourself into one of the small Posadas that some of the smaller Bodegas have in the Valle de Uco. My first pick would be the Posada at La Azul. Else, if you want to have a similar experience that's not at a Winery itself, my first choice would be Tupungato Divino.

These choices are not luxury lodgings, but they are clean and properly equipped, and have very good service from the staff (and owners) that are on site... you mention spending $$$ on wine rather than on a room, so I think these places will be exactly what you seem to be looking for.

I know the owners of both establishments very well, please feel free to PM and/or email me and I will introduce you to them, you will be able to make arrangements with them directly.

I would not worry about Aerolineas... service has been better and the planes are new, sure LATAM is "better" but the difference is no longer significant. I would not dismiss Mendoza only because of the current airport closure.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
You mention that you want to "get away"... so I would suggest you book yourself into one of the small Posadas that some of the smaller Bodegas have in the Valle de Uco. My first pick would be the Posada at La Azul. Else, if you want to have a similar experience that's not at a Winery itself, my first choice would be Tupungato Divino.

These choices are not luxury lodgings, but they are clean and properly equipped, and have very good service from the staff (and owners) that are on site... you mention spending $$$ on wine rather than on a room, so I think these places will be exactly what you seem to be looking for.

I know the owners of both establishments very well, please feel free to PM and/or email me and I will introduce you to them, you will be able to make arrangements with them directly.

I would not worry about Aerolineas... service has been better and the planes are new, sure LATAM is "better" but the difference is no longer significant. I would not dismiss Mendoza only because of the current airport closure.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
I think this will help the FT community learn more about LA AZUL without the need for a PM or email:

http://fincalaazul.com.ar/en/

This link will give some color about Tupungato Divino and other places in the area:

http://www.experiencemendoza.com/en/...ungato-divino/

And lastley, I understand that these Monks make some very nice wine that is sold on the weekends and the location is just wonderful :

http://inmendoza.com/travel-in/monks-gualtallary/

Enjoy!

Last edited by Flying Machine; Nov 16, 2016 at 5:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.