FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   First visit to Argentina/BA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1795547-first-visit-argentina-ba.html)

Guster Oct 9, 2016 12:51 pm

First visit to Argentina/BA

I'm flying down from the UK for a week in BA shortly and was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions and possibly provide any tips.

Q1, Can I use the USD for taxis, restaurants shops etc?

2, I saw Groucho's post re Uber. Should Uber not be used at all, especially from the airport? If not how should I get a taxi from the airport? Is it best to pre book?

3, I was thinking of taking the fast boat to Montevideo for the day. I noticed that it is priced in $. Is the Pesos? The price is on the high side.

4, I'm staying in San Telmo. Is it safe to walk about here and BA in general? Is there anything or any area best avoided? I like to wander about but don't take silly risks.

If there's anything else I should be aware of I'd love to hear.

TIA

G

Eastbay1K Oct 9, 2016 2:24 pm

1) Taxis, generally no. Restaurants and shops are variable. Exchange rate by using US$ cash isn't going to be particularly favorable now vs. the official exchange rate.

2) Any of the booths inside the airport are fine for a car service into the city. They are located just past customs inspection before entering the general circulation area. For the EZE-unfamiliar, I wouldn't bother figuring out how to locate an UBER, all of which are unmarked. Within the city, I've tried UBER a couple of times and it has been fine.

3) Without a link to what you're looking at, no idea.

4) In most of San Telmo, it is safe enough using your normal precautions. At night, try and keep it to the main streets (Defensa, Chile, Independencia, Paseo Colon) for your longer walking, and try to avoid the south side of the highway. (It passes above ground past Av. San Juan.) As for other parts of the city you may explore, just normal street smarts by day, and take taxis/uber between neighborhoods at night. No matter what you do, if you are by the Retiro train station, do not wander on the back side of it.

Guster Oct 11, 2016 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 27324157)
1) Taxis, generally no. Restaurants and shops are variable. Exchange rate by using US$ cash isn't going to be particularly favorable now vs. the official exchange rate.

2) Any of the booths inside the airport are fine for a car service into the city. They are located just past customs inspection before entering the general circulation area. For the EZE-unfamiliar, I wouldn't bother figuring out how to locate an UBER, all of which are unmarked. Within the city, I've tried UBER a couple of times and it has been fine.

3) Without a link to what you're looking at, no idea.

4) In most of San Telmo, it is safe enough using your normal precautions. At night, try and keep it to the main streets (Defensa, Chile, Independencia, Paseo Colon) for your longer walking, and try to avoid the south side of the highway. (It passes above ground past Av. San Juan.) As for other parts of the city you may explore, just normal street smarts by day, and take taxis/uber between neighborhoods at night. No matter what you do, if you are by the Retiro train station, do not wander on the back side of it.

Thanks for your help.

Here's a link to the ferry site:

https://www.buquebus.com/BQBWebV2/we...016_V_1_0_0_SB

https://www.buquebus.com/english

It's quoted $1.884 outbound and $1.736 return. Am I correct in assuming this will be 3620 Pesos? Roughly £220 Sterling? This seems petty expensive.

malagajohn Oct 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Guster , the prices you see are correct. It is cheaper if you go via Colonia and then take the bus to MVD . Makes it slightly longer.....as well.
If you take the plane the prices will be anything between 4,000 and 5,000 pesos . Sometimes it may come down to the price of the boat..
But if you take the plane you have an expensive tacis ride from Mvd Airport to downtown and possible delays.

malagajohn Oct 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Just spotted some promo fares on the buquebus direct boat at around 2,400 / 2,500 pesos return in October

Flying Machine Oct 12, 2016 12:11 am

Try Seacat. If you take the Buque/Bus combination from BsAs to MVD and booking with a Promo rate can be around $50 USD RT.. Also try using the Uruguay Site vs the Argentina Site and compare prices. You use the Buque Bus Terminals, their buses and even sometimes their boats. I have used it 3-4 times in the past and works out great. They even have an office in BsAs.

malagajohn Oct 12, 2016 6:11 am

Seacat is great , if you dont mind the bus trip from Colonia to MVD . If time is short and you want a full day in MVD , the direct boat is the only option.

Guster Oct 13, 2016 4:35 am

Thanks for the info guys. I'm probably going to take the direct boat to save time as it'll just be a day trip.

I'm finding out that it's not easy at all to purchase pesos in the UK. I have a handful of USD but other than that only GBP. Is is possible and advisable to change cash in the airport on arrival?

Thanks.

Guster

malagajohn Oct 13, 2016 5:52 am

When you pass through Customs turn hard right and you will find Banco Nacion . You can change cash here - sometimes they ask to see your boarding card. Probably best to bring dollars as changing GBP can be a hassle

Eastbay1K Oct 13, 2016 9:00 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 27340369)
When you pass through Customs turn hard right and you will find Banco Nacion . You can change cash here - sometimes they ask to see your boarding card. Probably best to bring dollars as changing GBP can be a hassle

It won't be a hassle at the airport Banco Nacion.

malagajohn Oct 13, 2016 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 27340977)
It won't be a hassle at the airport Banco Nacion.

You are right .. in the Banco Nacion , you can change any legit currency . Anywhere else its a hassle even in branches of Banco Nacion downtown....;)

Guster Oct 14, 2016 4:22 am

Super, thanks for the help. I'm all set now and really looking forward to ending my three month break from alcohol with some bubbly at LHR and Argentinian red with beef in BA.

malagajohn Oct 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Guster (Post 27344771)
Super, thanks for the help. I'm all set now and really looking forward to ending my three month break from alcohol with some bubbly at LHR and Argentinian red with beef in BA.

Let me know if you have any room for square sausage in your case ! Have a great trip over !

malagajohn Oct 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 27346498)
Let me know if you have any room for square sausage in your case ! Have a great trip over !

Only joking - importing foodstuffs of the sausage variety is technically illegal.

Guster Oct 15, 2016 11:17 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 27346511)
Only joking - importing foodstuffs of the sausage variety is technically illegal.

Ha ha, I don't plan on becoming best friends with the immigration guys. Maybe a can of Tennents ;)