Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Argentine destinations from SCL?

Old Sep 17, 16, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold

I took my first trip to South America(Buenos Aires) in August and I loved it so much that I booked another flight for November, this time to Santiago.

I land in SCL in the morning of Nov 19th and fly home at night on Nov 27th.

I miss Argentina so much that I was thinking of trying to spend a couple of days in Buenos Aires, Cordoba, or Mendoza. Hopefully flights are cheap or I could use skymiles or AA miles.

Any recommendations for an easy city to get to and spend a few days? Or should I stick to exploring Santiago and a few days trips from there?
Old Sep 17, 16, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"Any recommendations for an easy city to get to and spend a few days?"

Mendoza is very easy to reach, but rather than fly, I would suggest taking a bus over the Andes. We did this several years ago and used Andesmar. The seats were super comfortable and the views were spectacular. There is a lot of information on the Santiago Tripadvisor forum. Just do a search using key word "Mendoza".
Old Sep 17, 16, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By Googling "SCL airport wiki" you can find a list of all airlines that serve SCL, and their destinations. BA Avios should provide good value on LAN flights between SCL and Argentina.
Old Sep 17, 16, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orlando Vic View Post
"Any recommendations for an easy city to get to and spend a few days?"

Mendoza is very easy to reach, but rather than fly, I would suggest taking a bus over the Andes. We did this several years ago and used Andesmar. The seats were super comfortable and the views were spectacular. There is a lot of information on the Santiago Tripadvisor forum. Just do a search using key word "Mendoza".
Thanks! I like the idea of taking the bus to Mendoza for the scenic views of the Andes. 8 hours is a little bit long, so maybe I would want to take the bus there, spend a day or two in Mendoza and catch a one way flight back to SCL. I'll have to check how far the airport is from the city, maybe it would even out with taxi time, security, etc.
Old Sep 17, 16, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
By Googling "SCL airport wiki" you can find a list of all airlines that serve SCL, and their destinations. BA Avios should provide good value on LAN flights between SCL and Argentina.
Thanks that's a good list. Sky looks like it's pretty cheap and has several destinations. Otherwise KLM to EZE isn't too expensive and LATAM seems like the best option to Cordoba.
Old Sep 17, 16, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Psyduck1 View Post
Thanks! I like the idea of taking the bus to Mendoza for the scenic views of the Andes. 8 hours is a little bit long, so maybe I would want to take the bus there, spend a day or two in Mendoza and catch a one way flight back to SCL. I'll have to check how far the airport is from the city, maybe it would even out with taxi time, security, etc.
If I remember, the actual bus ride was 6 hours plus another 1 hour for the border crossing. I can't emphasize just how comfortable the Andesmar buses are and how reasonable the fare is.
Old Sep 17, 16, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be aware that the Mendoza airport is closed for several months, maybe longer. Airlines are flying instead to nearby airports and then sending passengers by bus for the last few hours. AFAIK the airlines are nevertheless still selling nonstop tickets to Mendoza, so be careful about this.
Old Sep 18, 16, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orlando Vic View Post
If I remember, the actual bus ride was 6 hours plus another 1 hour for the border crossing. I can't emphasize just how comfortable the Andesmar buses are and how reasonable the fare is.
They are pretty cheap and for full recline seats! I want to do Santiago-Mendoza during daylight for the views. But overnight to Córdoba or back to Santiago I'd be paying for transport and hotel in one shot, and this is a budget trip for me. Well, I say that now.
Old Sep 18, 16, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Be aware that the Mendoza airport is closed for several months, maybe longer. Airlines are flying instead to nearby airports and then sending passengers by bus for the last few hours. AFAIK the airlines are nevertheless still selling nonstop tickets to Mendoza, so be careful about this.
That explains why I've had trouble finding Mendoza flights! Looks like my visit is during the closure, Sep-Dec.
Old Sep 18, 16, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Psyduck1 View Post
use skymiles or AA miles.

Any recommendations for an easy city to get to and spend a few days? Or should I stick to exploring Santiago and a few days trips from there?
(1) there are some really good RT airfares SCL/BUE, and
(2) be sure to check out more of Chile. Anything from get a car and take some day/overnight trips to fly a couple of hours and spend a couple of nights. Either north or south - different worlds, each great in their own ways. Late November should already have decent enough weather in the south.
(3) Save Mendoza for another time.
Old Sep 18, 16, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Something I've wanted to do ever since visiting Bariloche is take the "Lake Crossing" between Bariloche and Puerto Varas. You might look into that. The mountains and scenery in that region are spectacular.

A longer trip, but you could bus from SCL to Mendoza, then take the overnight bus to Bariloche, then the Lake Crossing.

(Hmmm...

I may have to look into some tickets...)
Old Sep 21, 16, 3:56 pm

I forgot to mention before, but if you do take a bus over the Andes, try to book seats on the upper level and as far forward as possible (for best views). I think Andesmar allows one to book seats 30 days in advance.

Search this Thread