Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Uber now available in Buenos Aires

Uber now available in Buenos Aires

Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by malagajohn
If you guys are wondering how a company declared illegal by the courts can be a sponsor of the national soccer team , remember this is Argentina.

The Argentine FA is one of the most corrupt organizations in the country.
The Argentine football federation is a disgrace, but Uber is not an illegal company in Argentina. Actually they are allowed to operate in Mendoza, and it seems Rosario and La Plata will also pass local ordinances so as to allow Uber to operate while paying taxes. The big problem for Uber is Buenos Aires, where they are illegal, Uber razzias are organised by the transit police and yet they are still operating and they seem to be quite successful. This sponsorship thing seems to be another provocative, Ryanair-esque way to advertise themselves. Flybondi is also doing this kind of "violent" advertising these days. I bet you have seen their ads throughout BA asking members of Congress to be more austere and fly cheaper Flybondi instead of Aerolíneas. Free market is fun.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: LH Frequent Flyer
Hi guys!
What do you think, since next week the G20 will happen in Buenos Aires, will the police be more strict regarding random checks for possible Uber drivers in the city? Will it be more risky to take an Uber in these days?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:13 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Ive said this before and I will say again...... Uber in Buenos Aires is a silly silly thing to do. Given what the Taxi costs are, the savings DO NOT justify the risks involved.

Originally Posted by garam93
Hi guys!
What do you think, since next week the G20 will happen in Buenos Aires, will the police be more strict regarding random checks for possible Uber drivers in the city? Will it be more risky to take an Uber in these days?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:19 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
We can agree to disagree... that is perfectly fine.

A good portion of Taxis are stepping up to the plate, more Cabs are now taking credit cards and the Top Rario Taxi companies now have Apps and are forcing drivers to have new cars or leave to another service. Things are slowly improving. Uber is a multi-million dollar corporation and I chose not to support their Argentine Operations in Buenos Aires until they agree to sit down with the local authorities, pay up on all their local taxes and comply with all the workers comp and benefits that are applicable for Remise and Taxi Companies.

And I state again that I think it is a SILLY IDEA to have visitors use Uber.... even with the very "good" language barrier issue. The Top Radio Taxi companies handle call centers with staff that handle Tarzan English so it is perfectly possible to order a Cab.... and pointing to an address to tell your driver where you are going is not something that most folks can handle/overcome..... alas, to each his/her own.

Safe travels !!

Tha
Originally Posted by RafKa
I beg to differ: as a “disruptor”, Uber (like Airbnb, Turo and other platform businesses) rely on challenging existing regulations. As such, they will be operating on a gray area initially in most places. That includes the US, Europe, and most other places which still have not regulated ridesharing businesses.

As such, most of the “risk” lies with the platform provider (Uber), followed by the party providing the service (drivers), and finally, the end user (rider). In the case of uber, it would be Uber>driver>rider. The biggest risk for Uber is getting banned/sanctions, etc. Risk to driver is fines/vehicle impounded, vandalism by cabs, etc. In most locations – including London – bans to Uber have mostly been temporary. Punishment on drivers have been very occasional, mostly to make an example. Now, I never heard of any cases of riders getting the short end of the stick (i.e. getting fined or arrested for using Uber?). Worst case scenario: getting caught in crossfire between taxis and uber drivers. In case of any problems I would imagine the rider will just walk away.

Whether Uber will eventually become regulated in Buenos Aires, it’s hard to know. These things could take years, as the lobby of taxi drivers push for an unrealistic total ban of all ridesharing. In the meantime, if taxis could improve their service by providing cleaner better maintained cars, with functioning seatbelts, take card payments and/or being able to provide change instead of complaining that passengers don’t have the exact amount for their ride, and improve their navigation skills, they would go a much better way towards clawing back at competition.

For visitors, in BsAs and elsewhere alike, it’s often not just about saving money, but the convenience of overcoming a language barrier by having your itinerary sent directly to the driver, ease of payment with a pre-confirmed amount or estimate, and a record of the ride details in case of problems.
RafKa likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:51 am
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
I have been in B.A. for 2 days and used a cab from the airport but Uber for the most part. It's just easy. I only had one encounter where the Uber driver tried to get me to cancel the ride to pay him in cash which I declined. Other than that, Uber does what it does.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
www.mendozapost.com/amp/106677-con-el-precedente-de-mendoza-buenos-aires-ratifico-que-uber-es-legal
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:24 am
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
I saw ads for Uber all over the EZE airport....
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
After my first use on this trip (US-based account), I received a message from UBER with a discount code for 20% off my next two trips ($80 max. discount per ride).
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA
I usually prefer Uber everywhere overseas. But Cabs work fine in BA. And Uber is a disaster in Peru, theyre more expensive in Chile, and unnecessary in Buenos Aires. South America is taxicab first.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
I usually prefer Uber everywhere overseas. But Cabs work fine in BA. And Uber is a disaster in Peru, theyre more expensive in Chile, and unnecessary in Buenos Aires. South America is taxicab first.
Not sure I completely agree and I too prefer to use Uber when travelling across the world. The primary motivator for me is the ability to pay without local currency: getting cash in Argentina, Chile and/or Uruguay I find either expensive (ATM fees) or tedious (Currency exchange).
The second motivator is the ability to enter a specific destination straight in the app, particularly useful when you don't speak (well) the language.

My experience with Uber in Latin America is on balance positive. Never had a problem in Lima, agree they are not significantly cheaper in Santiago and you are asked to sit in the front with the driver, in BsAs the biggest issue was at EZE, but otherwise pretty straight forward. In Mendoza, although now legal, there is just not enough of them.

Last edited by mzb00; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:25 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mzb00
The second motivator is the ability to enter a specific destination straight in the app, particularly useful when you don't speak (well) the language.
That is key, and in fact, why I used it on a particular ride in Buenos Aires recently. I speak the language ok, but I wasn't particularly familiar with the destination. Took a street taxi back
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
How ones summon a "yellow roof" taxi cab in BA that will accept credit cards? Is there an app for that?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Taxi Premium was the app I used when i lived in the capital . I think you can now pay by card but not too sure.....
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: QF; VA; AS
It's been 6 years since my last visit to BA but I have been there 8 or 9 times and during all those times there was a common taxi driver scam involving switching of large denomination banknotes for counterfeit. Not sure if this scam is still in play but that alone would encourage me to take an Uber, certainly when going from EZE.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scottyrocket
It's been 6 years since my last visit to BA but I have been there 8 or 9 times and during all those times there was a common taxi driver scam involving switching of large denomination banknotes for counterfeit. Not sure if this scam is still in play but that alone would encourage me to take an Uber, certainly when going from EZE.
Given that the $100 note is worth about US$2.50, you can't get screwed too badly. Keep away from the $500s and $1000s (I've only seen 1 $1000 note) and you're still fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.