Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber now available in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by DG206
Where can I pick up an Uber at EZE? A lot of airports have a designated area of sorts, curious where I would pick one up at EZE. My Spanish is abysmal, so it can be difficult when a driver calls me looking for me for a pickup and I don't know how to respond
International arrivals exit Terminal A. When you walk outside, the sidewalk to your right (about 150m long) is the pickup and dropoff area for the Terminal. Given Uber's status in Argentina, there's obviously no designated pickup area. You're just like any other passenger whose family is picking you up :-)

Your driver might text you (as mine did last week) to confirm which Terminal you're at. I texted back (in Spanish, that I was a blonde (guy), with black clothes with a cardboard box), so pretty easy to identify while he was cruising through those 150m ;-). This last trip the driver arrived in less than 5 minutes. On earlier trips I've had to wait 10 minutes. Previously I've also had a driver text me to meet him at the end (far right from your perspective) of the arrivals/dropoff area where it's easier to pull into the curb. I texted back when I was there.
DG206 likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Marambio
Today (April 12) at 4pm Uber starts its operations in Buenos Aires and surrounding areas. We shall see how the taxi drivers react.

According to some websites, the base fare will be 15 ARS with 4.50 ARS added per km, which is cheap compared to taxis.
I did not have a good experience with the service back in 2016. I believe that the boycott that the company suffered, plus the direct threats to Uber drivers by taxi cabs, have render the service unusable. A pity, I hope they get a second chance...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I got an email from Uber Argentina this morning stating that they have asked all their drivers to prove they have a D-class driver's license (professional license, the one cab drivers have) and a special type of insurance that also covers paying passengers. They also mention they now have an Argentine tax ID, and have asked all their drivers to get one as well. The email doesn't say it, but it seems like they are under some sort of talks with the city government to legalise their service. Let's hope!
Gaucho100K and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:22 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I got the same email...… having said this, Im not holding my breath to wait for Uber to become Mother Theresa overnight...…. I think there is still quite a bit of water coming down through this bridge....
Marambio likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:59 am

I had some really good experience with Uber in BA last week, and some really bad ones (wrong car and not the correct driver showed up). Reported some problems and got quick support.

Also had some really bad taxi experience. Earlier (2011-2014) taxi drivers in BA were the best in the world, me thinking. Nowadays its a mess. They dont find the ways to easy places as "Congresso" or famouse clubs. Needs directions...
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
While the protests against Uber continue here in Buenos Aires, Mendoza has just passed new legislation that allows Uber to operate legally.

I will see if I can find an article in English and post a link.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: LH Frequent Flyer
Hello there!
We will have around 6 hours between flights in Buenos Aires in 2,5 weeks from now and we are planning to visit the city. What is the current situation regarding Uber in BA? Is it a better option to take Uber instead of regular taxi/shuttle service? What is the approx. price for a ride from EZE to the city with Uber? What would be the price for the regular taxi/shuttles, which is the cheapest and which is the fastest way?

Thank you for the help in advance!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I just came back from Buenos Aires last week. I was fully intending to pay the ARS 990.00 for Taxi Ezeiza (U$ 27.50 at the current exchange rate of 36) for the ride to Centro, until they told me there was a 20 min wait for cars, so I resorted to Uber, using the airport's free wi-fi:

Driver took all of 3 minutes to show up, in a smallish but perfectly adequate car. Easy to find pickup spot: walk out of the int'l terminal bearing left towards the parking lots, cross the road and you'll notice plenty of people waiting for their Ubers.

Cost was ARS 401.99 (U$ 11.16) so cheap I felt guilty, especially as driver had to pay about ARS 100.00 worth of tolls (I can see why some will try to avoid the tolls). I tipped him U$5 as I had no pesos.

Was very satisfied and will always use Uber at EZE from now on.
Marambio likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
In early October I sold my old car and the new one didn't come until last week (it's a long way from Japan to Argentina), so for almost a month I was stuck with public transport, taxi and Uber. Just like RafKa said, I was very surprised with Uber's prices, which seemed ridiculously cheap -- an Uber ride from Villa Urquiza to Recoleta during the night was 150 pesos, vs. ca. 400 pesos for a taxi, while Uber-ing from downtown to San Isidro (ca. 20 km) came at less than 400 pesos. I too always try to be a good tipper, as I wonder how the drivers can make their ends meet.

Yesterday the BA Legislature passed a new law that allows the police to impound Uber cars and the Uber driver's driving licenses on the spot. The law hasn't been published in the Official Gazette yet, but it sure will be next week. Let's see what happens with that.
RafKa likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Had a similar experience like in OTP where they canceled a total of 10 rides. Arrived during lunch time in EZE only to wait for ages and 4 drivers canceled the ride. Downtown 2 drivers canceled. So a total of 6 cancellations out of 9 rides.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:27 am

Ive said this before and I will say this again. I think it is a very silly idea to use Uber in Buenos Aires until they sort out their legal issues and get a full and proper license to operate according to local laws. Yes, those that venture out and use Uber may be able to save a little, but given what transportation costs in USD terms - I think that the potential risks of using Uber just cannot be justified.

For the record, Im not against Uber itself, but I cannot support their "strategy" of playing against the rules, this hard ball strategy is not the way to operate and I will not use Uber here as a matter or principle.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Ive said this before and I will say this again. I think it is a very silly idea to use Uber in Buenos Aires until they sort out their legal issues and get a full and proper license to operate according to local laws. Yes, those that venture out and use Uber may be able to save a little, but given what transportation costs in USD terms - I think that the potential risks of using Uber just cannot be justified.

For the record, Im not against Uber itself, but I cannot support their "strategy" of playing against the rules, this hard ball strategy is not the way to operate and I will not use Uber here as a matter or principle.
I beg to differ: as a “disruptor”, Uber (like Airbnb, Turo and other platform businesses) rely on challenging existing regulations. As such, they will be operating on a gray area initially in most places. That includes the US, Europe, and most other places which still have not regulated ridesharing businesses.

As such, most of the “risk” lies with the platform provider (Uber), followed by the party providing the service (drivers), and finally, the end user (rider). In the case of uber, it would be Uber>driver>rider. The biggest risk for Uber is getting banned/sanctions, etc. Risk to driver is fines/vehicle impounded, vandalism by cabs, etc. In most locations – including London – bans to Uber have mostly been temporary. Punishment on drivers have been very occasional, mostly to make an example. Now, I never heard of any cases of riders getting the short end of the stick (i.e. getting fined or arrested for using Uber?). Worst case scenario: getting caught in crossfire between taxis and uber drivers. In case of any problems I would imagine the rider will just walk away.

Whether Uber will eventually become regulated in Buenos Aires, it’s hard to know. These things could take years, as the lobby of taxi drivers push for an unrealistic total ban of all ridesharing. In the meantime, if taxis could improve their service by providing cleaner better maintained cars, with functioning seatbelts, take card payments and/or being able to provide change instead of complaining that passengers don’t have the exact amount for their ride, and improve their navigation skills, they would go a much better way towards clawing back at competition.

For visitors, in BsAs and elsewhere alike, it’s often not just about saving money, but the convenience of overcoming a language barrier by having your itinerary sent directly to the driver, ease of payment with a pre-confirmed amount or estimate, and a record of the ride details in case of problems.
Marambio and Flying Machine like this.

Last edited by RafKa; Nov 21, 2018 at 9:50 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RafKa

For visitors, in BsAs and elsewhere alike, it’s often not just about saving money, but the convenience of overcoming a language barrier by having your itinerary sent directly to the driver, ease of payment with a pre-confirmed amount or estimate, and a record of the ride details in case of problems.
^
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Uber is now an official sponsor of the AFA (Asociación del Fútbol Argentino).
https://www.clarin.com/deportes/uber...7KlyJD51k.html
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Uber is now an official sponsor of the AFA (Asociación del Fútbol Argentino).
https://www.clarin.com/deportes/uber...7KlyJD51k.html
If you guys are wondering how a company declared illegal by the courts can be a sponsor of the national soccer team , remember this is Argentina.

The Argentine FA is one of the most corrupt organizations in the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.