FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Backpacking to Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1750825-backpacking-argentina.html)

danielsilano Mar 4, 2016 6:25 am

Backpacking to Argentina

Hi Guys,

I have been saving for almost 1.5 years to buy my flight to Bs As (staying 5 days) and then bus to Neuquen to start an adventure through La Patagonia.

Do you have any safety advices? What about some ways to save money as i will be travelling on a tight schedule

Thank you!!

HIDDY Mar 4, 2016 8:22 am

What do you mean by ''backpacking''?

Hitch-hiking, wild camping, walking etc?

danielsilano Mar 4, 2016 2:49 pm

backpacking, with a backpack and a tent

Gaucho100K Mar 5, 2016 7:21 am

If you have average street smarts and take the usual precautions, backpacking around Argentina will not be a problem. There are tons of Europeans that come down every year and 99% have zero issues. Suggest you read up on specific backpacking forums and also Lonely Planet for the most updated information.

danielsilano Mar 5, 2016 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 26287925)
If you have average street smarts and take the usual precautions, backpacking around Argentina will not be a problem. There are tons of Europeans that come down every year and 99% have zero issues. Suggest you read up on specific backpacking forums and also Lonely Planet for the most updated information.

I have just heard from a friend who travelled last year a way to earn some extra money carrying items to Argentina (iphone, clothes). He suggests me sherpals.com

Are you aware of it? Have ever carry tech or clothes to Argentina? I believe i can save the entrance fee at least.

Gaucho100K Mar 6, 2016 6:00 am

I didn't know about Sherpals. Sounds like a cool idea, although I don't know all the details of how it works and Argentina, although things have become a lot more "normal" now, does tend to have its own particular set of issues that need to be considered. Also not sure what sort of a "profit" you can expect to make, I haven't looked at the details but my first impression was that the site had the look & overall feel of being more "help someone" than "make a profit"....??? Again, Im just guessing, you will need to do the Due Diligence yourself.

What happens if you become a Sherpa and you get caught in Argentina Customs, what does the site T&C state in the "fine print"...? Forget having to pay customs, what if the stuff gets confiscated...? Who ends up paying for the Iphone is there is no phone left for you to deliver...?

Please, don't get the impression that I want to rain on your Parade, but there are details associated with what you seem to want to do and I think you need to be informed of the potential ramifications before you lay out your game plan.

HIDDY Mar 6, 2016 10:58 am

Originally Posted by danielsilano (Post 26285427)
backpacking, with a backpack and a tent

Not heard of anyone having a problem. From what I've seen in northern Patagonia, the nicest camp sites for surroundings rather than amenities can be in rather out of the way places if you don't have transport. The national parks have camp sites and you can camp wild without too much problem as long as you follow the rules. Some towns have camp grounds but they're not great and can be well out of town. So camping is certainly possible but you may be better staying in youth hostels which will be easier to find and will give you more opportunity to meet fellow travellers.

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 26291891)
I didn't know about Sherpals. Sounds like a cool idea, although I don't know all the details of how it works and Argentina, although things have become a lot more "normal" now, does tend to have its own particular set of issues that need to be considered. Also not sure what sort of a "profit" you can expect to make, I haven't looked at the details but my first impression was that the site had the look & overall feel of being more "help someone" than "make a profit"....??? Again, Im just guessing, you will need to do the Due Diligence yourself.

What happens if you become a Sherpa and you get caught in Argentina Customs, what does the site T&C state in the "fine print"...? Forget having to pay customs, what if the stuff gets confiscated...? Who ends up paying for the Iphone is there is no phone left for you to deliver...?

Please, don't get the impression that I want to rain on your Parade, but there are details associated with what you seem to want to do and I think you need to be informed of the potential ramifications before you lay out your game plan.

You been on the Malbec?

spainflyer Mar 6, 2016 11:19 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 26292817)
You been on the Malbec?

No, just anticipating a future posting! :D