Wiki Posts
Search

Opera tickets for Teatro Colón

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Opera tickets for Teatro Colón

I will be in Buenos Aires the first week in April and hope to buy a ticket for Don Giovanni for the 5th or 6th (1st or 2nd performance, the only dates possible for me). Hoping that one decent seat will still be available, I have tried both the English and Spanish versions and cannot find any way to buy tickets for DG for any nights on the theatre website. Maybe I'm missing something? Any help appreciated (link or info). Thanks much.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: UA, WN, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
The Teatro Colon box office is currently selling subscriptions for the 2016 opera season. Sale of single tickets has not yet opened, and usually does not start until close to the date of the first performance of the season. That being said, I have not had problems in the past buying tickets after arrival in BsAs. Setting up an account and buying tickets online is another possibility once single ticketing opens. There is a dress code of sorts for the first performance of each opera (5 April for DG) for certain sections of the theater but I don't know how strictly it is enforced.

BsAs has another opera company - Opera Lirica - that opens on 8 April with Faust, but it looks like that date doesn't work for you.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:27 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Depending on where you will be staying, if your hotel has a proper Concierge Desk then this is something that you could have them do for you.

Enforcement of dress code is more "social" than practical.... so in the end, its highly unlikely that you will be turned away from the Colon - unless you push the limits to the extent of tank-tops and flip-flops. If you are underdressed, you will feel a little out of place as most Opera goers in Buenos Aires are very aware of proper attire, but it normaly doesn't go beyond that. Its hard to argue against having at least a sports coat and a nice shirt with a decent pair of pants as part of your luggage.... no need to go out for the full Tux or coat tail outfit if that isn't part of your wardrobe...
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Thanks very much to you both!
I'll be staying in La Recoleta about 8 or 9 blocks from the theatre but my little hotel will not have a concierge--I'm just hoping for a front desk staffed round the clock.

Sounds like I was really jumping the gun expecting tickets to be on sale already. (Used to months in advance in these parts.) So, I'll go see about a ticket when I get to BsAs. I will try for the second performance but will have apparel that won't be too horribly embarrassing if only the first night is available. (Being female, even with only carry-on it's easier to pack to span dress conventions.)

I am so excited to finally get to visit Buenos Aires, a city that has long called to me in spite of the fact that I usually wander around looking at how people build fences and what shape their barns take. Must have been all those Borges short stories.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
At the Colón there are always some tickets reserved for high-ranking public officials who might want to attend a performance (government ministers, Supreme Court justices, a provincial governor who happens to be in Buenos Aires, etc.). Usually most of those tickets remain unused and can be bought a day or two before the performance at the ticket office on calle Tucumán. I would try my luck as soon as you get here, you'll probably be able to get a nice spot.

In my experience the dress code has become laxer over the years. Some 10 years ago every male at the Gran Abono (1st performance) would show up on a dinner suit/tuxedo and women would wear long dresses. Last year the attire was still formal but I only saw two or three men wearing tuxs, the rest were on normal suits and tie. Still, you're expected to dress formally unless you buy a ticket for paraíso (the closest to the roof, hence the name) where there's neither such etiquette nor seats - you have to remain upstanding during the whole performance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.