Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires trip - Mar 2016 Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL DMD, Hildon DMD, Velocity Plat
Buenos Aires trip - Mar 2016 Itinerary

Hi all, I'm planning to go to BsAs on one of these crazy ex-EU-US-BsAs AA routings with my partner. We have eight days on the ground and I just wanted some feedback on the itinerary. Hopefully this is the right place to ask questions. We like doing walking tours, food, museums historic buildings and such. Here is the plan:-

22 Mar (Tue) - arrive EZE, check in etc. AM, walk ard Microcentro in the PM
23 Mar (Wed) - day trip to Colonia
24 Mar (Thu) - day trip to Tigre/ San Isidro
25 Mar (Fri) - Recolecta cemetery & area
26 Mar (Sat) - Palermo
27 Mar (Sun) - San Telmo, Tango etc.
28 Mar (Mon) - spare/ rest
29 Mar (Tue) - tbd, PM en route to La Calanderia, overnight
30 Mar (Wed) - La Calanderia, transfer to EZE for evening flight

Thoughts? Am I missing anything? Should I drop something?

Also I had some related questions:-
1) I was thinking of getting a local prepaid sim card for data and google maps. Which one and where to buy?
2) We're looking at staying at the Hilton or Hyatt. But the Hyatt prices are too high for us. Even the Hilton seems pricey compared to NYC. Or we could just rent an apartment for a week...
3) I was thinking of going to Iguazu Falls also. But how many days minimum is required? Is one night enough? Or could we go somewhere else?
4) For restaurants, we will follow the other thread. Looking forward to the beef!

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looks okay to me although I personally wouldn't go off on day trips two days running so soon after arriving....I'd space those out more.
I'd forget Iguazu as you need at least two nights away to make it worth your while. Sim cards are easily available although you don't need one for a map as your phones GPS system will do if you download a map before you arrive. BA is easy to navigate using a small map due to the grid system anyway.

The Hyatt is nice but I think it would be silly to pay over the top prices for it when you can have a very enjoyable stay in a 4* hotel at a fraction of the cost.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
If you want to see something other than BsAs, I'd suggest either Mendoza (wine), or Iguazu (but not both in such a short trip). Otherwise I'd just stay in the city and explore.

Personally I'd skip Tigre/Colonia/La Calanderia and go for a couple of days in Mendoza and do a wino tour.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both for your feedback. I am intrigued about Mendoza and will look into it.
In any case, I will space out the days we are travelling out of the city, if we are doing day trips.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
RE: apartment, check out Eastbay1K's signature line.

With such a short trip, I'm not sure I'd do Mendoza unless you are really into winery tours. It's a perfectly nice city, but not a lot else to see.

Iguazu is really unique, though. You'd need two days to see that, even flying, and a Brazil visa to do it right.

If you enjoy a good walk, I found these free walking tours a great way to see a lot of BsAs. Free, just tip what you like.

http://www.bafreetour.com/english-home

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._District.html

There's a great street fair stretching from near the Casa Rosada to San Telmo on Sundays. Worth a visit.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Mendoza is nice, Iguazú is spectacular. You need at least 2 nights and you can stay in the Argentinian side and still enjoy it. The Brazilian side is also worthy but you would need to apply for a visa. I would take a few days off Buenos Aires and go to Iguazú.

Re hotels, there are many good places to stay in Buenos Aires, no need to pay extra to stay at the Hilton or Hyatt.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by brooding
3) I was thinking of going to Iguazu Falls also. But how many days minimum is required? Is one night enough?
How many days may depend on your passport and need/willingness to get a Brazilian visa. If you need a visa for Brazil and do not choose to get one (which should be done well in advance to give time to get an appointment if necessary and for processing), you will be limited to the Argentine side of the park. In that case, and depending on flight times, you could spend one night. Do realize that half a day will probably be spent on travel into Puerto Iguazu and another half day returning to buenos Aires.
If you intend to see the Brazilian side of the park, from which most of the iconic photos of the falls are taken, and the interesting Bird Park, or take a heli flight over the falls, allow two nights minimum. Boat rides under the falls are available from both sides. You can also visit the Itaipu dam. It takes about 40 minutes to travel from one side to the other, stopping at the border to stamp your passport.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
How many days may depend on your passport and need/willingness to get a Brazilian visa. If you need a visa for Brazil and do not choose to get one (which should be done well in advance to give time to get an appointment if necessary and for processing), you will be limited to the Argentine side of the park. In that case, and depending on flight times, you could spend one night. Do realize that half a day will probably be spent on travel into Puerto Iguazu and another half day returning to buenos Aires.
If you intend to see the Brazilian side of the park, from which most of the iconic photos of the falls are taken, and the interesting Bird Park, or take a heli flight over the falls, allow two nights minimum. Boat rides under the falls are available from both sides. You can also visit the Itaipu dam. It takes about 40 minutes to travel from one side to the other, stopping at the border to stamp your passport.
Thanks all for your inputs. I think we'll need to book another trip to do Iguazu, the Jesuit missions and also Mendoza, given our timeframe and that we are doing some lengthy flying to get to BsAs. These places are on our list still to be ticked. In the meantime, we will be enjoying BsAs this time round.

Thanks all!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that Brazil is apparently going to suspend visa requirements for USA and other citizens in the period leading up to the Olympics in Ausgust 2016. I'm not sure the final details are available yet, so check the rules and policies as this is clarified.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by brooding

23 Mar (Wed) - day trip to Colonia
24 Mar (Thu) - day trip to Tigre/ San Isidro
25 Mar (Fri) - Recolecta cemetery & area
26 Mar (Sat) - Palermo
28 Mar (Mon) - spare/ rest
29 Mar (Tue) - tbd, PM en route to La Calanderia, overnight
30 Mar (Wed) - La Calanderia, transfer to EZE for evening flight

Thanks!
My feedback would be to stick the two day-trips (Colonia and Tigre) in the middle after a day or two exploring BsAs. Take the fast boat to Colonia and find a reason to take the local ferries up the river delta in Tigre, there are several restaurants where you can disembark and spend a half-day playing beach sports (volleyball, badminton), swimming or sunbathing, and eating a pleasant meal along the riverbank.

Recoleta cemetery now charges foreigners I think. In the surrounding area there are some free museums and national galleries as well as a very large outdoor market with goods made by local artisans, mostly leather and jewelry and weaving but prices are awesome for handmade anything so bring plenty of cash. La Boca is a very cute neighborhood worth a walking excursion during daylight hours. The Japanese Gardens and, to a lesser extent, the Botanical Gardens, are also worth a few hours.

I think with Colonia and Tigre on your itinerary Iguazu and Mendoza should be off of it. Doing all of that plus multi-day flying trips would be really hectic.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
La Boca is very cute but dress down and leave valuables in the hotel. Even during the day there can be occasional problems.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philip0
My feedback would be to stick the two day-trips (Colonia and Tigre) in the middle after a day or two exploring BsAs. Take the fast boat to Colonia and find a reason to take the local ferries up the river delta in Tigre, there are several restaurants where you can disembark and spend a half-day playing beach sports (volleyball, badminton), swimming or sunbathing, and eating a pleasant meal along the riverbank.

Recoleta cemetery now charges foreigners I think. In the surrounding area there are some free museums and national galleries as well as a very large outdoor market with goods made by local artisans, mostly leather and jewelry and weaving but prices are awesome for handmade anything so bring plenty of cash. La Boca is a very cute neighborhood worth a walking excursion during daylight hours. The Japanese Gardens and, to a lesser extent, the Botanical Gardens, are also worth a few hours.

I think with Colonia and Tigre on your itinerary Iguazu and Mendoza should be off of it. Doing all of that plus multi-day flying trips would be really hectic.
Thanks for all the fantastic feedback on the itinerary. As we are now finalizing the hotels, and after hearing and reflecting on the feedback, we are #evolving our itinerary. Totally agree with the points about the hassle of inter country trips. For us, not this time.

We are dropping the gaucho day, but plan still to take 1-2 trips out of the city mid-trip. Colonia definitely and maybe Tigre.

day trip to Colonia
day trip to Tigre/ San Isidro

23 Mar (Wed) - Rest and relax day.
24 Mar (Thu) - Recolecta cemetery & area.
25 Mar (Fri) - Tigre day trip (Good Friday, is anything open?)
26 Mar (Sat) - Palermo
28 Mar (Mon) - Colonia day trip
29 Mar (Tue) - Do some museums, etc.
30 Mar (Wed) - Do some museums, etc. transfer to EZE for evening flight

On the hotel front, we managed to snag a few BRG's however have to move around a bit. Hilton 22-23. Hyatt 23-24. Curio by Hilton San Telmo 24-30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.