FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   How long do customs/etc. take in AEP for trying to connect to another flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1735192-how-long-do-customs-etc-take-aep-trying-connect-another-flight.html)

dancintoothbrush Dec 30, 2015 4:06 am

How long do customs/etc. take in AEP for trying to connect to another flight?

Hi all,

A friend and I are flying to AEP w/ layover in Sao Paulo and arriving at 14:06. We'd like to catch a flight straight to IGR (Iguazu) when we get in -- there's one at 15:20, 16:25 and 19:30. Could anyone give me an approximation of how long customs and everything else takes at AEP so which flight to IGR we should take? My friend is a US citizen and I'm EU. I figure we have to go through customs since we're coming from abroad and can't just straight go to the gate for the IGR flight, but any insight would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Nadia

malagajohn Dec 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Customs is a lottery and will depend on how many travelers are at the airport and how many immigration and customs officials are working at the time.
15,20 is really impossible
16,25 is a possibility but delays would upset yr plans.
19,30 is playing it safe and is the sensible option.

If you book a through ticket with the same airline things would be easier.

Gaucho100K Jan 1, 2016 6:03 am

Do you have checked bags...? I agree that 15:20 would be taking a chance but if you don't have bags then your odds get somewhat better. Also, what is your incoming airline... if its a SkyTeam member then maybe you can get check through boarding passes...? AR is part of SkyTeam so this may be of some use, depending on which airline you are coming in with...?

Not advocating you take chances, just trying to help you reason though your options and plan accordingly. And I do agree with malagajohn that there is quite some "random" component in the entire customs/immigration processing time.

MSPeconomist Jan 1, 2016 7:44 am

Originally Posted by dancintoothbrush (Post 25934572)
Hi all,

A friend and I are flying to AEP w/ layover in Sao Paulo and arriving at 14:06. We'd like to catch a flight straight to IGR (Iguazu) when we get in -- there's one at 15:20, 16:25 and 19:30. Could anyone give me an approximation of how long customs and everything else takes at AEP so which flight to IGR we should take? My friend is a US citizen and I'm EU. I figure we have to go through customs since we're coming from abroad and can't just straight go to the gate for the IGR flight, but any insight would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Nadia

This sounds like you'll have two separate tickets, which is risky if you miss the connection. It would also help to know the airlines you plan to use.

VidaNaPraia Jan 1, 2016 7:53 am

I understand that your flight may be booked already, and this is not the issue you wrote about, but not understanding why, if you are going through SP, you didn't plan to go from SP direct to IGU at the falls, instead of back and forth.

craigthemif Jul 6, 2018 6:49 pm

Bumping an old thread...

I'm arriving international into AEP and then connecting domestic. Checked bag, same ticket.

I'm wondering whether I need to pick up luggage and pass through customs, US style. Or will bag be checked through to final destination? (Europe style)

ticino Aug 4, 2018 7:02 pm

US-style. So be aware that even if your bag is tagged outside Argentina to your final destination you will still have to pick it up in AEP and send it in once more.

On the way back they'll send your bag straight to your final destination outside Argentina, but you will have to go through passport control.

David Beach Aug 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Correcto....#6 will definitely have to go through immigration and customs, and then recheck in for the bags.....I do not understand anyone considering cutting things so close, especially when immigrations and customs is involved.

Even if you fly in and out of Aeroparque, you need a minimum of 4 hours connection time minimum to be mildly safe, considering possible arrival and in-airport delays.

Factor in an EZE/Aeroparue combination, at least 6 hours (more for an international flight out), or an overnight in BA. You aint in Kansas anymore Todo.

dgravina Aug 24, 2023 12:00 pm

Hello I am in the same predicament 2hr 40min stop at AEP (ASU AEP COR same ticket). When they mentioned I have to re-check my bags at AEP does that mean I have to stand in line at the ticketing counter at AEP, or just drop them off in the customs area (like at LAX) ? I am guessing Aerolineas will give me boarding pass for both segments at ASU, but not sure about the situation with the bags.. thank you !