Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Argentina: popular street foods?

Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:26 am
Original Poster

I have a travel and food blog, and some time in the near future I am going to post about street food in Argentina.

I am beginning to plan for this post now, but I cannot find the 12 Argentina street foods that I need. Choripan, Alfajores, helades, empanadas...but not much else that constitutes proper street food. Googling doesn't actually help me that much, as its a strange topic with not much good info.

Any ideas from nationals or people who have travelled there? ^
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Mate. It's a drink but I think that qualifies as food.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I would strongly suggest that, if the OP wants to blog definitively, he/she goes to Argentina to research it. Not only is Argentina a fantastic place to visit, there's no way that you can get reliable information from Google or from random people on the web whom you don't know.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: AA
This is better than nothing as a guide.

http://www.mycitycuisine.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires

I haven't been to BA but it is maybe 25-33% for cities that I know, generally erring by being over-inclusive but, just for balance in its inaccuracy, sometimes missing important dishes too.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1 Million Miles, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Platinum, AA Citi Exec, Hilton Aspire, Bilt

Panchos (local name for hot dog), lomito (steak sandwich), milanesa (fried chicken or beef cutlet), chipa (regional, Google it), fernet branca mixed with Coca Cola, these items in addition to what the OP previously mentioned are about the extent of the somewhat "unique" Argentine street food. Keep in mind that although Argentine beef at the high end places is world class and there is regionally some good seafood, overall the cuisine of Argentina is not particularly exciting, innovative, distinctive or adventurous.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can you expand as to what you mean by 'street food'?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: FB Platinum
To what Rock Harders mentioned I would add bondiola (pork meat sandwich, not sure how to call the specific cut in English), and recommend any of the carts on Costanera Sur to try it. Sometimes during weekend you'll find there 'churros' vendors, which I suggest trying together with mate.

The 'carritos' (carts) selling bondiola will usually have several other barbecued pieces of meat to put in between bread. Thus you have, in addition to 'choripan', 'morcipan' (with morcilla - blood sausage - instead of chorizo), 'vaciopan' ('vaco', flank) and others.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Can you expand as to what you mean by 'street food'?
Well, I already gave examples in my OP.

Basically street food. Food they sell on the streets in Argentina.

I don't want to know about fulsome meals that you can get in restaurants. I am just a fan of street food.

So in the UK, that' fish and chips, jellied eels, sausage rolls, Cornish pasty etc. I just wondered what it was like in Argentina you see.

Thanks for the recommendations from everybody else, though - very helpful! ^
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Well, I already gave examples in my OP.

Basically street food. Food they sell on the streets in Argentina.

I don't want to know about fulsome meals that you can get in restaurants. I am just a fan of street food.

So in the UK, that' fish and chips, jellied eels, sausage rolls, Cornish pasty etc. I just wondered what it was like in Argentina you see.

Thanks for the recommendations from everybody else, though - very helpful! ^
You seem to be talking about food which is eaten outside while on the go rather than my idea of 'street food' which is of food actually cooked out on the streets and eaten....hence why your alfajores example threw me a bit.

To be honest not a lot of either goes on here compared to other countries like the UK so you may struggle with it. Choripan is the obvious one although even that isn't as common as you might think.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:37 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
This seems better suited for the appropriate destination forum

cblaisd & iluv2fly
Co-Moderators, Dining Buzz
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
You seem to be talking about food which is eaten outside while on the go rather than my idea of 'street food' which is of food actually cooked out on the streets and eaten....hence why your alfajores example threw me a bit.

To be honest not a lot of either goes on here compared to other countries like the UK so you may struggle with it. Choripan is the obvious one although even that isn't as common as you might think.
I don't remember seeing street food as such, but my experience in Argentina is not extensive.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by CALlegacy
I don't remember seeing street food as such, but my experience in Argentina is not extensive.
Street cooked food can be had along the esplanade near Aeroparque. From what I've seen they mainly cater for local taxi/lorry/car drivers taking a break. I believe there are others but they're not that common even in Buenos Aires.
In my town choripan stalls on the street are only used for fund raising events. Locals who don't have a garden will on occasions make an asado out on the street which is fun to see.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
One of my favorites was freshly squeezed orange juice at some of the street fairs. And definitely pizza in BsAs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.