Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

San Rafael - worth a visit?

Old Oct 11, 15, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion

Someone today in the States who visits Mendoza frequently told me I should check out San Rafael. I did read recently it's a top retirement destination - worth a look?
Old Oct 14, 15, 6:52 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Originally Posted by BostonGuy View Post
Someone today in the States who visits Mendoza frequently told me I should check out San Rafael. I did read recently it's a top retirement destination - worth a look?
It would help if you could be more specific..... what is your objective. Just a visit..? Looking to evaluate a potential long-term retirement destination..? Want to enjoy outdoor sports...? Want to drink wine...?

Vague questions with no beef on the bone will get you similar answers.
Old Oct 14, 15, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
This is pure vacation, primarily centered around wine, but I also wish to become more familiar with the region, its culture, and its sites. Because I anticipate returning multiple times, and bringing back friends next year, I'd like to learn as much as I can so I can be a knowledgeable source for them next time.

I suppose a better, more specific question is: is San Rafael more authentic, more homespun, and less touristy than Mendoza city? And, in your experience, do leisure travelers find it enjoyable?
Old Oct 15, 15, 10:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Never been to San Rafael myself but the girlfriend went there a few years ago on a business trip. I asked her and she really enjoyed rafting on río Atuel, the wineries she says were pretty similar to the ones in Mendoza.

After hearing all this I told her next time she has a business trip I'm going with her.
Old Oct 19, 15, 5:37 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
If you are big into wine, then San Rafael is a lot less interesting than the other principal Mendoza sub-regions. Your time is far better spent in places like Valle de Uco, Lujan de Cuyo, Maipu and the surrounding areas.

Search this Thread