Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Considering renting a car in Mendoza - safe for American?

Considering renting a car in Mendoza - safe for American?

Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
First I've heard carrying fruit and vegetables between provinces wasn't allowed. Didn't know wearing seat belts was compulsory either.
Yes.... various provinces have intra-provincial quarantine and other meat/produce related restrictions.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Yes.... various provinces have intra-provincial quarantine and other meat/produce related restrictions.
I suppose in a country the size of Argentina such restrictions are wise especially in the meat industry.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I think in Mendoza controls are there because Cuyo is free of the fruit fly ("mosca de los frutos"). Meat is the reason in Patagonia, the whole area is naturally free of foot and mouth disease while in the rest of the country cattle must be vaccinated.

The fruit control between Mendoza and San Juan works as a toll. Open the trunk, let them take a peek, drive through a puddle of insecticide and off you go.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:18 pm

This is the flyer I have in the car. Usually it is the crossing thru La Pampa from/to Mdz/Nqn. The stops are for meat and for Mosca de los Frutos when headed into Patagonia. Just like the 'toll' you pass in San Juan. Sorry off topic and only slightly related to the OP. https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/124827835

Old Oct 24, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by secondsoprano
"I would be very careful with drinking and driving as alcohol breath tests are quite common throughout the country (limit is 0.5 grams of alcohol per litre of blood). "
I think you're missing a 0 .... at 0.5 you wouldn't be driving, you may well be dead.
Assume you meant 0.05. As long as you don't drink more than 1 standard drink (small glass of wine), and don't drink on an empty stomach, you will stay under that limit.
Sometimes math is tricky. Just ask someone who wants to qualify for AA status with EQP (points).

A litre (or liter in NA) is 1000 cc (or 1000gm of pure water at standard temperature) so 1 gm in 1000 gm is 0.1 percent.
0.5 gm is 0.05 percent which is the don't get breathalyzed line in Australia as well.

Happy wandering (as you look for that scientific calculator)

Fred
Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I suppose in a country the size of Argentina such restrictions are wise especially in the meat industry.
Yes... ^
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
Only special in the sense that my Spanish sucks! Poor phrasing, I apologize.

Foreign tourists are helpfully warned about the hot dog trick, motorcycle bandits, etc, when walking in B.A.

Are there similar or parallel problems for foreign tourists to consider when driving in Mendoza?
Well traveling from MDZ to the UCO valley you may encounter an "official" stop or two. Where they may waive you over to ensure that your documents are in order. Looks a little imposing, but as a passenger the cars I have always traveled in were never stopped.. Safe Travels
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:11 am

Signage in Mendoza isn't the best, so I advise anybody renting a car to have a properly updated GPS on board. Also, given all the construction going on in Mendoza as of late, even the laters GPS maps may not have all the detours and new exits, so be prepared for creative routing.

For those going to visit wineries..... I think its a horrible idea to do this and have to drive, but then.... to each his own. Getting a car with a driver is the best possible investment you can make.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.