Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Coming to Mendoza via Santiago - issues bringing Argentinian wine back to Chile?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coming to Mendoza via Santiago - issues bringing Argentinian wine back to Chile?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion

I found a great airfare to Santiago in Oct and plan to take the scenic bus over the Andes to Mendoza.

I will either bus or fly back to Santiago, whichever makes sense.

I'd like to buy a couple of cases of wine in Mendoza. Will I have issues returning to Chile for my return flight? Problems, taxes, etc.

Does returning via bus vs. car make a difference?

Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If you are over limit, be prepared to pay tax. Unlikely on a case.

If you are considering flying, note that RT tickets will be a lot less than a OW. If you are considering flying, note that unless you have OW status, you'll have a 23kg total checked baggage allowance.

All inbound luggage is x-rayed at SCL customs.

Depending on cost, you might be much better off shipping your wine directly from Mendoza.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
If you need help with shipping wine back to Boston (or AL or GA), please feel free to PM or email me.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
I found a great airfare to Santiago in Oct and plan to take the scenic bus over the Andes to Mendoza.

I will either bus or fly back to Santiago, whichever makes sense.

I'd like to buy a couple of cases of wine in Mendoza. Will I have issues returning to Chile for my return flight? Problems, taxes, etc.

Does returning via bus vs. car make a difference?

Thanks.
If you take the Bus, a few peso tip to the porter whom loads the baggage hold will be mighty appreciative.. (If not, he may direct you to bus counter to pay for extra baggage) Whom are you flying SCL to USA? I can lend more insight once I know the carrier. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Thanks for your responses. My plans have changed and I am no longer coming via Santiago, so no more bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.