Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Day of Tradition in San Antonio de Areco

Old Aug 10, 15, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

I plan to spend three or four weeks in Argentina, and would appreciate comments on my itinerary. Two weeks or so in BA, and a couple of side trips.

November is supposed to be a shoulder season and have good weather. In addition, I would like to spend a night in San Antonio de Areco for the Day of Tradition festival (official day is November 10). There will be a gaucho parade on Sunday, but I cannot find out the exact date. Will it be the Sunday before or after November 10?

I plan to arrive at San Antonio de Areco on the Saturday before the gaucho parade and stay there for the night. Then depart on Sunday after the parade. There are tour groups doing something similar, including a night at an estancia. But those seem a bit touristy for my taste.

Suggestions and comments?
Old Aug 11, 15, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
November is a good time weather wise to be in the capital as it normally isn't too hot. San Antonia de Areco has been in the news the last few days because of the flooding as has our area. We had two days of constant storms which cut off roads and put many acres under water.
I've not been to Areco but would recommend you go and spend a couple of nights there for the festival. We have a parade in my town where the only tourist you'll ever see is a lost one and the event is very enjoyable. They're not so much gauchos nowadays rather more countryside people who carry on with the traditions. Like these guys we see at our local cattle market.
Old Aug 11, 15, 11:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
According to this agency which sells a tour for the parade (http://arecotradicion.com/holiday/fi...-la-tradicion/), it will be held on November 8th.

San Antonio de Areco is very nice. It's become quite touristic over the years but that's actually positive, as you get the small town feeling with good accommodation, which is otherwise impossible to find in the Pampas. The estancia option is going to be very touristic but might be nice if you fancy horseback riding. Otherwise the town is nice enough for a night.

November will be hot but not terribly so, around 25-30C I'd say. Buenos Aires will be full of blossomed jacarandas. My favourite month of the year.
Old Aug 11, 15, 6:27 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Lets hope that the flooding subsides soon enough to allow for the areas affected to get back on their feet and be read for the visitors season that starts in late October....
Old Aug 16, 15, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks for the responses and confirming that the parade is on November 8.

I've come across very few trip reports on San Antonio de Areco. A good sign that it is off the beaten path for most tourists? These guys seemed to have a hard time with bus tickets and schedules. I'll try to avoid their problems, and perhaps purchase the tickets ahead of time.

http://tourist2townie.com/culture-fo...st-video-edit/
Old Aug 17, 15, 4:27 am

SA de Areco is a popular weekend daytrip/getaway for porteños. I don't know about foreigners, though.

Chevallier runs quite a few daily coaches from Retiro station. You can buy the coach tickets online but of course then you will pay the official exchange rate.
Old Sep 3, 15, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

I just learned that the festival had been rescheduled for each of the last three years! (That may be why I had a hard time finding out the exact date of the Gaucho parade online.) Having booked my flight to arrive in time for the festival, I pray that this year's would be on time.

What were the reasons for the rescheduling?
Old Sep 4, 15, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by getmethere View Post
I just learned that the festival had been rescheduled for each of the last three years! (That may be why I had a hard time finding out the exact date of the Gaucho parade online.) Having booked my flight to arrive in time for the festival, I pray that this year's would be on time.

What were the reasons for the rescheduling?
It was also rescheduled when I visited 6 years ago, due to weather (it was forecast to rain, but didn't).
Still, it was a pleasant outing for the day.
Old Sep 6, 15, 4:24 pm

We went to Areco this weekend with the girlfriend. Neither of us had been there in ages. It's a beautiful small town. Not that much to do but for a weekend break it was very nice.

We stayed at Antigua Casona, a 6-room boutique-ish hotel right at the city centre. At 1000 ARS per night (approx. 70 USD at the blue rate), breakfast included, it was money well spent. They don't take credit cards, only cash.

Had dinner the first night at Boliche de Bessonart, very good picadas, OK wines and strong Fernet Branca at reasonable prices. The other night we ate at La Cervecería, pizza was OK and the nice owner brews his own beers.

Spring is coming in the uttermost part of the Earth. With 20C and sunny skies, we had a very enjoyable and relaxing weekend less than 2 hours away from home.
Old Sep 6, 15, 7:18 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Great report !!!! Thanks for sharing !!!!

Originally Posted by Marambio View Post
We went to Areco this weekend with the girlfriend. Neither of us had been there in ages. It's a beautiful small town. Not that much to do but for a weekend break it was very nice.

We stayed at Antigua Casona, a 6-room boutique-ish hotel right at the city centre. At 1000 ARS per night (approx. 70 USD at the blue rate), breakfast included, it was money well spent. They don't take credit cards, only cash.

Had dinner the first night at Boliche de Bessonart, very good picadas, OK wines and strong Fernet Branca at reasonable prices. The other night we ate at La Cervecería, pizza was OK and the nice owner brews his own beers.

Spring is coming in the uttermost part of the Earth. With 20C and sunny skies, we had a very enjoyable and relaxing weekend less than 2 hours away from home.
Old Sep 8, 15, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Good report

Thanks for the report.

Not knowing whether the festival will be rescheduled, I hesitate to book a hotel for November 7 in advance. OTOH, many hotels, including Antigua Casona, have no vacancy for that day. I'll wait till I arrive at Buenos Aires in early November, and check on the festival day then.
Old Oct 1, 15, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Just came across this article about the flood. Does it mean the festival will again be cancelled or rescheduled?

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/art...cuations-in-ba
Old Oct 2, 15, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by getmethere View Post
Just came across this article about the flood. Does it mean the festival will again be cancelled or rescheduled?

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/art...cuations-in-ba
The article is two months old. I was in Areco last month and there was no sign of flooding in town.
Old Oct 3, 15, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
The article is two months old. I was in Areco last month and there was no sign of flooding in town.
Yes despite us having some 20 acres under water which usually happens every couple of years anyway it all drained off within a few days. It did take some areas in the province longer to recover but I can't see it having any effect at all on the Day of Tradition which is after all still weeks away.
Old Oct 3, 15, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Yes despite us having some 20 acres under water which usually happens every couple of years anyway it all drained off within a few days. It did take some areas in the province longer to recover but I can't see it having any effect at all on the Day of Tradition which is after all still weeks away.
That's good to know. How many such flooding occur each year in the past? IOW, will another flooding before the Day of Tradition be a surprise, or to be expected?

I didn't get any response to my question about why the festival was rescheduled in the last three years. Was it all due to weather condition, or was there other reasons?

Search this Thread