Search

PH, Sheraton, or IC in Mendoza?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
PH, Sheraton, or IC in Mendoza?

Hello all,

I am looking at taking my mom (and possibly my dad if we can get him out of the house) to Mendoza, Argentina for between 3 and 5 days.

Being that the InterContinental is now only 5k points/ night via PointBreaks, we could get that property for up to 5 nights for free, so that is definitely the property I'm leaning toward... I mean, I could even book two rooms at that property at those point rates.

I'm also looking of course at the Sheraton or Park Hyatt, using points as well.

All three properties considered, which are the best based on location (walkability to good restaurants, cool sights, nice areas, etc.), and then of course, which property edges out the others?

I've seen all of the great recommendations for the more unique properties around Mendoza, but alas, free (with points) is going to have to trump them this trip.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Never stayed at any of the three but the Intercontinental is not in a great location for touristic purposes. You'd have to drive or take a cab to downtown Mendoza. The other two hotels are very downtown.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:17 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I agree with Marambio. Of the two remaining properties, I would take the PH over the Sheraton for not only location but also service and general amenities, etc.

For additional issues Mendoza and especially wine related, please feel free to PM and/or email me.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I agree with Marambio. Of the two remaining properties, I would take the PH over the Sheraton for not only location but also service and general amenities, etc.

For additional issues Mendoza and especially wine related, please feel free to PM and/or email me.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
However, OP is SPG Plat but only Plat and not Diamond with Hyatt. That might be an argument to pick the Sheraton and get the free breakfast and other perks, including a possible upgrade. When I've looked at the PH Mendoza (never been there) the rates didn't seem to make it a good place to stay on points.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by joeypore
Hello all,

I am looking at taking my mom (and possibly my dad if we can get him out of the house) to Mendoza, Argentina for between 3 and 5 days.

Being that the InterContinental is now only 5k points/ night via PointBreaks, we could get that property for up to 5 nights for free, so that is definitely the property I'm leaning toward... I mean, I could even book two rooms at that property at those point rates.

I'm also looking of course at the Sheraton or Park Hyatt, using points as well.

All three properties considered, which are the best based on location (walkability to good restaurants, cool sights, nice areas, etc.), and then of course, which property edges out the others?

I've seen all of the great recommendations for the more unique properties around Mendoza, but alas, free (with points) is going to have to trump them this trip.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
The IC at 5K @ night on Point Breaks equates to aboout $35 USD a night. (if you know the .07 way) In any event. The PH is best location wise but I would go for the IC as you will be driving to most places anyway (assume you will have a car)
BTW a few blocks from the PH is a Wine Shop "Winery" They have a few in BsAs as well (18 locations in total) Very good selection and prices if thats what your seeking.. Thanks and Safe Travels

Last edited by Flying Machine; Aug 5, 2015 at 11:40 pm
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:19 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I personally quite dislike the location of the IC.... but then, this may not be relevant for someone that has the right status with this chain.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I personally quite dislike the location of the IC.... but then, this may not be relevant for someone that has the right status with this chain.
A few months ago, I was ready to use points for the IC and then when I did more location research, decided on the Sheraton. (The trip has not yet occurred.)
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A few months ago, I was ready to use points for the IC and then when I did more location research, decided on the Sheraton. (The trip has not yet occurred.)
The Sheraton is not in a pristine area of the city either. (quite busy with allot of Street Traffic) As we all know Mendoza is quite small. But the OP was speaking about the Points Break of 5 K Points is a wonderful deal for a Hotel that is just a few years old. Via the Acesso Este its less than 10 minutes between the two. If you have IHG Points and havent taken your trip (as stated) Its a killer deal..
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
Thank you all so much for your input.

I have 25k IHG points from one of the Daily Getaway deals a while back, so it'd be nice to burn them... I'm no longer Plat with IHG (I need to update my profile), but Plat didn't get me anything anyway...

With the 5k / night Point Breaks right now, we could even get 2 rooms which would be nice...

The Sheraton doesn't cost very many points (4k / night?), and the Hyatt is only 8k / night.

Overall, none of these properties are going to break the bank with points, and we were thinking it may be worth it just to go with the Park Hyatt for its location.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by joeypore
Thank you all so much for your input.

I have 25k IHG points from one of the Daily Getaway deals a while back, so it'd be nice to burn them... I'm no longer Plat with IHG (I need to update my profile), but Plat didn't get me anything anyway...

With the 5k / night Point Breaks right now, we could even get 2 rooms which would be nice...

The Sheraton doesn't cost very many points (4k / night?), and the Hyatt is only 8k / night.

Overall, none of these properties are going to break the bank with points, and we were thinking it may be worth it just to go with the Park Hyatt for its location.
Wow! Never thought that the PH would be just 8K points. If that's the case and you have a another use for the IHG, I would stay at the PH then. Its by far the nicest of the 3 spots. Enjoy and Safe Travels.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Normally 8K Hyatt points means an ordinary and not particularly nice Hyatt Place unless it's in an expensive area of the USA. In fact, just the points part of points and cash for the Park Hyatt (which is wonderful) in Buenos Aires is 10,000 points (plus $125 per night IIRC, versus rates around $500 per night at the official exchange rate). Mendoza must be the lowest category PH in the system.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Setting aside issues of $$ and points, my vote would be the Hyatt. To be clear I haven't stayed in either of the other two places, perhaps because after staying at the Hyatt once I saw no reason to look elsewhere. It's centrally located and is a very nice hotel. I highly recommend it.

(no politics here please)

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 11, 2015 at 6:35 pm Reason: removal of political comments
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(quote of political comments removed)

PH is definitely the best location.
Sheraton was my choice because I'm Platinum, and am really close to lifetime Platinum.
IC is out because I want to be able to walk and not have to take a taxi, no matter how cheap or plentiful, for most every trip out of the hotel.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 11, 2015 at 6:36 pm Reason: remove political comments
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
(quote of political comments removed)

Although I have been many times to Mendoza, as said before I have never stayed at any of the properties mentioned (I like to stay in Chacras de Coria). I did however go to the Park Hyatt for drinks a few times and by the looks of its lobby, bars and restaurant it's probably the best hotel in the city, plus the location is great.

The Intercontinental should be a nice hotel but as mentioned by others you have the location problem. Guaymallén/Villa Nueva is basically a middle-class suburb with a huge shopping mall next to the hotel, and it's a 15-minute drive to downtown Mendoza. You would need to drive or to take a cab for pretty much anything touristic. I'd stay there only, and only, if I had a car with me.

Walking distance from the IC you only have the shopping mall. Oh, and you can get Mercedes Benz spare parts - their regional car dealer for Western Argentina is not too far from there

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 11, 2015 at 6:38 pm Reason: removal of political comments
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:11 pm

Well, I am all for free speech, but I am kind of mystified about the comments about Cristina and Mendoza. How does that relate to anything relevant in this discussion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.