FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Day trip: Iguazu Falls (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1622804-day-trip-iguazu-falls.html)

Dieuwer Oct 23, 2014 6:31 am

Day trip: Iguazu Falls

Interested in hearing about your experience taking a day trip from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls (arrive in the morning, leave at the end of the day).
Did you feel you had time enough to see what you wanted to see on the Argentinian side? Were the flights on time? What would you have done differently (if anything)?

HIDDY Oct 23, 2014 7:09 am

We spent two days seeing both sides of the falls and that was on an organised trip with provided transport and a guide.
If you're just into the business of ticking it off your 'been there' list and buying the T-shirt then it's possible just to see part of them. I think you'll miss out though.

Dieuwer Oct 23, 2014 7:40 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 23721743)
We spent two days seeing both sides of the falls and that was on an organised trip with provided transport and a guide.
If you're just into the business of ticking it off your 'been there' list and buying the T-shirt then it's possible just to see part of them. I think you'll miss out though.

On this trip I want to spend time on the Argentinian side only. When I visit Brazil someday, I plan to visit their side of the falls.

SpammersAreScum Oct 23, 2014 8:06 am

Did the Argentinian side only a couple years ago, flying to/from BA. If you try to do it -- including flights -- in one day, you're only going to get a few hours at the falls, which really isn't enough time to see them all, take boat rides, etc.

I don't recall any delays when I went, but GFlights says "often delayed 30+ minutes" for both flights.

M60_to_LGA Oct 23, 2014 8:45 am

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum (Post 23722045)
Did the Argentinian side only a couple years ago, flying to/from BA. If you try to do it -- including flights -- in one day, you're only going to get a few hours at the falls, which really isn't enough time to see them all, take boat rides, etc.

I don't recall any delays when I went, but GFlights says "often delayed 30+ minutes" for both flights.

I agree this is not an optimal day trip. Between the potential for delays at Aeroparque and the fact that there's so much to see at the falls, I'd plan to spend at least one night if not two.

VidaNaPraia Oct 23, 2014 8:47 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 23721909)
On this trip I want to spend time on the Argentinian side only. When I visit Brazil someday, I plan to visit their side of the falls.

It would be extremely wasteful of time and money, IMO, especially for someone who claims to have been sated in Niagara in a few hours, to return to the falls "someday" simply to spend a few hours on the Brazilian side.
You will miss the panoramic view and opportunity for iconic photos from the Brazilian side of the falls. Walking out into the middle of the river, being soaked by the spray, was quite an experience, not to be found equally on the Argentine side. Standing with a powerful fall of water passing just inches away beside your body is an experience in the Brazilian park too. The Bird Park is also quite interesting; unique opportunity to be next to macaws and parrots flying around you, indulging their own curiosity about you.

Gaucho100K Oct 23, 2014 10:30 am

As Ive gone on record before, while this is doable, it is in my view silly to have to rush though everything.........

Dieuwer Oct 23, 2014 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 23722849)
As Ive gone on record before, while this is doable, it is in my view silly to have to rush though everything.........

Looks like I can get a decent points+cash rate at the Sheraton, making it more palatable to stay one night.
In that case, the plan would be to fly SCL-AEP-IGR (I be in SCL at the start of my trip), spend one night in the park, and return IGR-AEP.

tupungato Dec 4, 2014 5:59 am

It's definitely worth it, one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Just look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrY63FFnQU

Small warning: watch out for credit card scanners in ATMs at the entrance to the national park!

Orlando Vic Dec 4, 2014 7:39 am

Agree with tupungato, but don't limit your trip to one day. You will be shortchanging yourself big time. Spend a night and soak (sorry) in all that the falls have to offer. You will remember this visit for the rest of your life.

El Cochinito Dec 4, 2014 3:16 pm

Have been fortunate enough to visit Iguazu twice and, given the opportunity, would return yet again. It is that fantastic.

When we stayed at the Sheraton guests were allowed onto the park trails at 0800 which if I recall correctly was about 1 hour earlier than the general public. In any case the tour busses didn't start pulling in and disgorging the day trippers until around 10 or so.

Dieuwer Dec 4, 2014 3:19 pm

Yes, I now plan to stay 2 nights.

davetravels Mar 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Help / Info for my Iguazu Day Trip from Buenos Aires Next Week

First of all, thanx a million for all the help you have given me in the other posts here. :)

I'm doing a day trip to Iguazu on March 27. I have a very early flight up - and the last flight back on the same day.

EZE/IGR 6:15 AM / 8:10 AM

IGR/EZE 8:10 PM / 10:10 PM

Booked with 25,000 Delta miles

I'm not quite finding the info I want, so, I thought I'd ask here . . . . I'd like to see as much of the Arg side of the falls as I can. Maybe, spend an hour or so in town before heading back to the airport to have some dinner and mingle a little,. I'd like to do as much as I can with public buses, but, I'm not against taking a taxi, if it'll really buy me some extra time.

So, I'd like some info about getting to and from the falls, the city, and the airport. I haven't seen anything about a bus service from the airport to the falls. It there? Bus service into town - then to the park and falls?

About getting wet: I do expect to get a little wet, but, I'm not crazy about getting soaked. What should I do - and, shouldn't I do?

Any other helpful info would be appreciated! :)

DT

VidaNaPraia Mar 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Buses: There is a bus that runs from the town to the park entrance, passing by the airport. This is the case on both sides. There is another bus that runs from one town to the other.
What are you expecting to do just on the Argentine side that would get you wet? There are 3 main trails, none of which really gets you into wet situations. If you do the boat ride, or go out onto the walkway in the river on the Brazilian side, you might need a plastic bag poncho or a set of dry clothes.

davetravels Mar 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 29521390)
Buses: There is a bus that runs from the town to the park entrance, passing by the airport. This is the case on both sides. There is another bus that runs from one town to the other.

I have looked online, and, I can't find any hard information about any sort of regular bus services. Just private airport transfers.

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 29521390)
What are you expecting to do just on the Argentine side that would get you wet? There are 3 main trails, none of which really gets you into wet situations. If you do the boat ride, or go out onto the walkway in the river on the Brazilian side, you might need a plastic bag poncho or a set of dry clothes.

I really don't know what activities make you wet - or how wet, which is why I'm asking here. I just seem to remember reading - to plan to get wet. I will definitely have a couple of those cheap, disposable plastic rain ponchos. I'm not afraid to get wet. I'd just prefer not to get SOAKED! I will not have a change of clothes with me, but I could take one, I guess. I will have 2 cell phones and a supplemental 20,000 mAh battery with me, and, of course, my passport, and wallet, etc. I thought there was a walkway on the ARG side that, goes out to the edge to look over the falls. Does that spray a ton of water? Any info about what activities make you wet - and what degree of wet, I'd appreciate.