Day trip: Iguazu Falls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day trip: Iguazu Falls

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:41 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RafKa
OT, but with your limited time, you should consider doing a daytrip to Colonia by Buquebus, instead of Montevideo. Montevideo is nothing to write home about, and at 3h each way it'll be a tiring day trip. Colonia, on the other hand is only 45min and is a lovely colonial town with lots to explore.
Hi, and thanx!

The day you posted this, I was already on my way to Montevideo! I bought my ticket a couple of months earlier.

Obviously, different people have different tastes. Part of the fun of going to Montevideo was actually taking the Buquebus Francisco, which is called - the Concorde of the Seas! It was FABULOUS! siting in "Special Class" on the upper deck looking out the front windows during the morning cruise was amazing! The buffet was NOT cheap. 470 ARS ($23.50 USD) for a single plate and 570 ARS ($29.50 USD) for unlimited buffet was simply not worth it, so, I got a nice sandwich for $5 USD and a free coffee from Business Class!

As far as Colonia vs Montevideo . . . I really don't enjoy small colonial towns. I like cities! People watching, buildings & architecture, and SHOPPING are my thing! Palacio de Salvo was AMAZING!! I thoroughly enjoyed the ENTIRE day trip, although a little tiring. I flew back, so, that was simple, except, the bus to the airport was having mechanical problems on the way, so, I was a little bit nervous. The only real disappointment was, not knowing how big of a holiday Maundy Thursday is over there. Probalby half, or more, of the stores were closed. But, it was decent. They were actually filming a movie in the middle of Av 18 de Julio! It was VERY cool! They had a street scene with 2 huge cranes that hoisted an older gentleman up in the air over a bus in moving traffic while holding a newspaper, like a big wing! They repeated the scene over, and over again!

So, thanx again for the advice. I'd go there again, someday!

Since this thread is about Iguazu, I have a lot to post about the park and the falls - - simply AMAZING!!! I'll come back in a day or 2 to post when I have a little bit more time.

RafKa likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
We have a similar trip coming up.
Only 6 day's and 5 nights in Argentina (Arriving in the morning on Day 1 @ EZE, and departing on day 6 in the afternoon).

I am struggling a bit to determine what time we would need to see the Iguazu Falls without rushing it, and still have time to visit Buenos Aires.

Is it possible to arrive at IGR @ 12:00 (out of AEP), do the Brazilian side that afternoon
Check into hotel somewhere around Puerto Iguazu (on the way to the Brazilian side, or in the evening.
Next day do the Argentinian side for a full day (since you need to arrive early in the morning for the best experience I read?) and fly out of IGR to AEP @20:10

Otherwise we would need to stay 1 extra night, which would not bring us so much more of an experience I guess?

Last edited by Justin Case; Jan 3, 2019 at 2:01 pm Reason: small edit for arrival time/earlier
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Justin Case
Is it possible to arrive at IGR @ 12:00 (out of AEP), do the Brazilian side that afternoon
Check into hotel somewhere around Puerto Iguazu (on the way to the Brazilian side, or in the evening.
Next day do the Argentinian side for a full day (since you need to arrive early in the morning for the best experience I read?) and fly out of IGR to AEP @20:10

Otherwise we would need to stay 1 extra night, which would not bring us so much more of an experience I guess?
That is totally doable, but you should arrange with your hotel/B&B in Puerto Iguazu to arrange a "remis" (taxi) to pick you up direct from IGR, drop off your bags, go to the Brazilian side and wait for you there before driving you back. I did the same, and it worked out fine.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that you might need to get a visa for Brazil, even if you don't need one for Argentina.

When I did the falls, I was very happy that I had picked the hotels on each side that are actually in the respective parks. I still regret that the huge hydroelectric power print was closed to visitors when I was there.

My advice for a six days/five nights trip to Buenos Aires with longhaul flights would be to just stay in the city and focus on that. If you find yourself getting bored (unlikely) you could do a day trip by hyrdofoil to Colonia which should be easy to organize at the last minute if you avoid weekends. It's a big hassle to check in and out of hotels and go to and from airports, including allowing time for traffic and lines, especially at EZE. You want some time to just enjoy the neighborhoods, the port area, the museums, etc.

Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that you might need to get a visa for Brazil, even if you don't need one for Argentina.

When I did the falls, I was very happy that I had picked the hotels on each side that are actually in the respective parks. I still regret that the huge hydroelectric power print was closed to visitors when I was there.

My advice for a six days/five nights trip to Buenos Aires with longhaul flights would be to just stay in the city and focus on that. If you find yourself getting bored (unlikely) you could do a day trip by hyrdofoil to Colonia which should be easy to organize at the last minute if you avoid weekends. It's a big hassle to check in and out of hotels and go to and from airports, including allowing time for traffic and lines, especially at EZE. You want some time to just enjoy the neighborhoods, the port area, the museums, etc.
I agree. The trip length is way too short.
There are other more relaxing day trip experiences available within easier reach of Buenos Aires.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
How about problems with fog in IGR and/or AEP/EZE early april?
We are now planning on taking one of the last flights out of IGR in the evening to AEP, stay the night in BUE and after lunch go to EZE to catch our flight back home in the late afternoon.

My worry is that if that last plane out of IGR in the evening does not come due to fog, the next one out will be the next day around noon. Landing at AEP around 1400.

Is that something to take into account? Or a real slim chance?

Last edited by Justin Case; Jan 20, 2019 at 1:50 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
We are now planning on taking one of the last flights out of IGR in the evening to AEP, stay the night in BUE and after lunch go to EZE to catch our flight back home in the late afternoon.

My worry is that if that last plane out of IGR in the evening does not come due to fog, the next one out will be the next day around noon. Landing at AEP around 1400.

Fog can be a problem at EZE on winter mornings (July-August). It’s hardly ever an issue outside those months and it’s never a problem at AEP. I wouldn’t worry about that.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Marambio

Fog can be a problem at EZE on winter mornings (July-August). It’s hardly ever an issue outside those months and it’s never a problem at AEP. I wouldn’t worry about that.
Thanks! And IGR? I read somewhere that due to the waterfalls there is sometimes fog in the evening.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Do you have one ticket or two? If two, is the TATL ticket totally inflexible?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you have one ticket or two? If two, is the TATL ticket totally inflexible?
Two Tickets (pax) in C and yes inflexible.
So the question is, what are the changes of a flight not leaving IGR in the evening?

And secundairy, is it much bussier at the falls on a Sunday than on a Monday/Tuesday in late march/early april?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two Tickets (pax) in C and yes inflexible.
So the question is, what are the changes of a flight not leaving IGR in the evening?

And secundairy, is it much bussier at the falls on a Sunday than on a Monday/Tuesday in late march/early april?
Quite independently of the weather, there are a gazillion reasons why a flight might be cancelled: sick pilot/aircraft going tech/strike or demonstration/maintenance truck hitting the plane/etc... While all of these are low probability events, they are not so outlandish that I would want to discard them altogether. When what is at stake is potential loss of a long-haul flight ticket which would be costly to replace at the last minute, I would want to ensure that there is at least one reasonable alternative that could enable me to reach the airport for my long-haul flight in time or that I have insurance that will cover the consequence of the flight being cancelled and will pay for the cost of a replacement ticket for the onward long-haul flight. But we all have different appetites for risk, or course.
Justin Case likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Quite independently of the weather, there are a gazillion reasons why a flight might be cancelled: sick pilot/aircraft going tech/strike or demonstration/maintenance truck hitting the plane/etc... While all of these are low probability events, they are not so outlandish that I would want to discard them altogether. When what is at stake is potential loss of a long-haul flight ticket which would be costly to replace at the last minute, I would want to ensure that there is at least one reasonable alternative that could enable me to reach the airport for my long-haul flight in time or that I have insurance that will cover the consequence of the flight being cancelled and will pay for the cost of a replacement ticket for the onward long-haul flight. But we all have different appetites for risk, or course.
Every flight has the risk of being cancelled or going IROPS for all kinds of reasons. The question is; What are the chances? And then what is the back-up plan.
When flying in Europe there are multiple airlines to the same location, or later flights by the same carrier to your destination. But this being South America, to a tourist outpost, I want to make a calculated decision. My worry is that the 2200 AR flight does not fly in, or fly out. What are the chances of that happing. I tried to look at Flightradar24 data, but that only goes back a couple of day's with my subscription.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
The bigger risk in Argentina right now is a pilots strike.

I travel to Iguazu on business 6/7 times a year . Never had a weather delay in the last ten years .

Had a couple of delays due to labor union action - once the pilots and the other time the baggage handlers

Your problem is a hard one to call . There is no correct answer beyond travelling on a secured connection , which you have indicated is not an option

Norwegian and /or Flybondi might be a plan b as their pilots are not in the pilots Union - but their might be some schedule changes

Norwegian have newer planes and are less likely to have technical issues.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn
The bigger risk in Argentina right now is a pilots strike.

I travel to Iguazu on business 6/7 times a year . Never had a weather delay in the last ten years .

Had a couple of delays due to labor union action - once the pilots and the other time the baggage handlers

Your problem is a hard one to call . There is no correct answer beyond travelling on a secured connection , which you have indicated is not an option

Norwegian and /or Flybondi might be a plan b as their pilots are not in the pilots Union - but their might be some schedule changes

Norwegian have newer planes and are less likely to have technical issues.
Where those delays just a couple of hours, or more like day's?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
My delays have been around 4 hours . But recent strikes have led to flights being cancelled and rescheduled to the next day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.