Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

United to cancel EZE-EWR service as of Sep 29, 2013

Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, COPA ConnectMiles Gold, LATAM Pass Gold

Bad news for United and Star Alliance flyers...

http://boardingarea.com/thewandering...s-from-united/
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Being a Oneworld person I'm not too bothered really.

I would like to see EZE being served from LAX/SFO though.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
That sort of possibly sucks for me. But, to be honest, given all the problems that FTers have reported with this flight, plus the distance and the need for balls of steel to do business in Argentina, this doesn't much surprise me.

On a somewhat related note, I just checked and was quite surprised to see that UA doesn't fly to SCL. That seems like someone made a very bad decision at one point, no?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:39 am

Lengthy discussion on the UA Forum
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the history of CO/UA at EZE, I can't say I'm surprised. Using award tickets, I was actually booked northbound on that flight for November, but cancelled when Kirchner would no longer allow my family to enter the country in Mendoza fee-free (we're headed to South Africa instead).

Which I think is the root of the problem: Argentina isn't a terribly attractive country for North American tourists now, and it certainly isn't a terribly attractive destination for business, either (can you say "rule of law").

So no surprise that a marginal deep South American player like UA decided to leave.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iahphx
Which I think is the root of the problem: Argentina isn't a terribly attractive country for North American tourists now,
From what I gather it would seem to be more a case of UA/CO having to tighten the purse strings rather than through a drop in tourists/business from N America. Makes sense for them to consolidate the IAH route as it is more strategically placed for connecting from the rest of the US I would have thought.
Now that TAM are set to join Oneworld Star Alliance airlines are going to find it even more difficult to operate competitively down here.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:24 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by iahphx
Given the history of CO/UA at EZE, I can't say I'm surprised. Using award tickets, I was actually booked northbound on that flight for November, but cancelled when Kirchner would no longer allow my family to enter the country in Mendoza fee-free (we're headed to South Africa instead).

Which I think is the root of the problem: Argentina isn't a terribly attractive country for North American tourists now, and it certainly isn't a terribly attractive destination for business, either (can you say "rule of law").

So no surprise that a marginal deep South American player like UA decided to leave.
Argentina is unattractive for big business now.... YES. Unattractive for Tourists... NO.

United/CO is a large business, so no surprise that they are pulling this flight.... this is just another chapter in United's handing over of this market on a silver platter to American Airlines. The guys at US Air must be quite happy with this announcement...... AA JFK to EZE flight loads should benefit from this.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
United/CO is a large business, so no surprise that they are pulling this flight.... this is just another chapter in United's handing over of this market on a silver platter to American Airlines. The guys at US Air must be quite happy with this announcement...... AA JFK to EZE flight loads should benefit from this.
OBJECTION! Your statement assumes that United/CO has a silver platter. UA probably did when I flew them JFK/EZE in F on a 742. That was a long long long time ago. You know, back when you were traveling the world in the nose cones of the world's finest 747s, where more than the platters were silver.

This UA is so unrefined, it wouldn't know how to handle such a platter.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This UA is so unrefined, it wouldn't know how to handle such a platter.
Agreed....

Where is our Kiwi friend and his take on this......????
Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Agreed....

Where is our Kiwi friend and his take on this......????
He remains in denial, so he has not yet commenced his 12 estep program. Add that to the fact that his 1K status se irá soon, despite his frequent travels.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
He remains in denial, so he has not yet commenced his 12 estep program. Add that to the fact that his 1K status se irá soon, despite his frequent travels.
No idea on what denial trip he is or may be on... however, my sources tell me that his 1K status is still very much alive and kicking and that measures are being drawn up to ensure that the status-quo remains in 2014 and beyond.

Kind of reminds me of that song that goes..... if you're gonna' play in Texas, you gotta' have a Kiwi in the Band....

Im sure IAH and the resident prison matrons on UA will welcome our Kiwi amigo with their warmest bear-hug...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.