WARNING: domestic Argentina flights & resident fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WARNING: domestic Argentina flights & resident fares

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2013, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Do you visit Indonesia and Thailand often...?

Also, what are your thoughts on Florida residents getting discounts on Disney Tickets while us visitors are asked to pay full price...?

Sorry but this variable pricing model is not an Argentine Invention, it is practices in various parts of the world and in various forms. Nobody makes you come visit here but if you do and want to fly around the country, then please be ready to play by the rules. If you want to roll the dice, go ahead, but then if you get caught, please keep quiet and face the music.
Indonesia not often, Thailand often. Its interesting your first comparison for Argentina are two third world countries. Thailand does not have discriminatory airfares for foreigners....airline prices are the same for all and I can book them on Air Asia ( an LCC...there's a novel concept for Argentina), Thai Air and Bangkok Air online in my home.

My view of Disney, if they have discriminatory pricing, is the same as my view of air price discrimination in Argentina.

As I explained in my post I do play by the air fare rules when I visit Argentina. That's why I didn't go to Puerto Madryn in January. Who do you think suffered most financially from that decision?

As for keeping quiet, I live in a democracy, this board is based in another democracy and I had thought Argentina is a democracy. In a democracy if you don't agree with foolish policies and rules, you speak up.
Old May 18, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
It's not huge in fact if you compare it to the national average wage here the resident fares are still very expensive.

Truth is if there was no such thing as a resident fare prices would remain the same for foreigners so it's not as if you're subsidising residents travel. In fact I've noticed some resident fares can actually be more expensive than normal fares.
The way to get airfares residents can afford is to open the market up and end foolish mechanisms like discriminatory pricing. Dump all the other government bureaucracy, red tape and feather bedding protection at the same time.

Take a look at average wages in Southeast Asia and see what Air Asia has done to make flying affordable. Look at Cebu Pacific which has done the same thing in the Philippines. Look at Wizz Air in Eastern Europe.

Those countries have lower average wages than Argentina and they have attracted millions of new domestic travellers and created thousands of new jobs.
Old May 18, 2013, 7:21 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jimmac
Indonesia not often, Thailand often. Its interesting your first comparison for Argentina are two third world countries. Thailand does not have discriminatory airfares for foreigners....airline prices are the same for all and I can book them on Air Asia ( an LCC...there's a novel concept for Argentina), Thai Air and Bangkok Air online in my home.

My view of Disney, if they have discriminatory pricing, is the same as my view of air price discrimination in Argentina.

As I explained in my post I do play by the air fare rules when I visit Argentina. That's why I didn't go to Puerto Madryn in January. Who do you think suffered most financially from that decision?

As for keeping quiet, I live in a democracy, this board is based in another democracy and I had thought Argentina is a democracy. In a democracy if you don't agree with foolish policies and rules, you speak up.
Glad to hear you keep quiet and follow the rules when you buy local airfares... ^ This thread wants folks to know what they are getting into, nothing more.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing....
Old May 19, 2013, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Glad to hear you keep quiet and follow the rules when you buy local airfares... ^ This thread wants folks to know what they are getting into, nothing more.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing....
Always happy to follow your advice. And to respond to the good questions you raise.

Just to follow up on your question about Thailand, I tried today a couple of test one way fares, both cheapest available (for foreigners of course), both for June 5.

BA to Cordoba, Aerolineas, 653 km, US$156.00

Bangkok to Phuket, Air Asia, 692 km, US$46.36

Hope that helps folks visiting my favourite South American country know what they are getting into.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: LANPASS, Aerolineas PLUS
I recently did with my girlfriend a local LAN flight from AEP (both resident fare. I'm resident, she's not). Online check-in with EU passport with no hassle. She didn't put any bag though (I registered both, which together can't go over 23kg). They never asked for DNI/Passport (other than at the baggage drop desk where I gave it voluntarily).
PS: Argentine spanish is my mother tongue, and answered NO when asked if someone was traveling with me.
PS2: Those who have points/kms on a oneworld FFP, if you get tickets that way it's all legal. They had 50% off all local flights for a couple of weeks recently.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:11 pm

Thanks

Last edited by clipclop; Apr 27, 2016 at 4:30 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by clipclop
Hope you don't mind my resurrecting this thread.

Priceline has a sale on LAN Airlines within Argentina (though August 31).

For example, a flight from AEP to COR is US$96.50. This rate is less than the Argentine-citizen rate of ARS$947.64 (equivalent to approximately US$102.47) as priced on LAN.com.

However, the complete fare rules state "VALID FOR ADULT PASSENGER RESIDENT OF ARGENTINA PROOF OF RESIDENCE".

This is very odd. Why would Priceline be selling Argentine-citizen rate tickets? Do you think it's just boilerplate mumbo-jumbo -- i.e., is it safe to buy?

(BTW, I see the same is going on at Expedia too -- discounted rates, but with the same fare-rules language.)

But the Argentine citizen fare is still less when using the dolar blue rate
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Folks... its fine to play the resident fare game, but remember that if you are a visitor and get caught when you try to check in or board the plane, be prepared to face the music....

Safe travels to all.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is very odd. Why would Priceline be selling Argentine-citizen rate tickets? Do you think it's just boilerplate mumbo-jumbo -- i.e., is it safe to buy?

(BTW, I see the same is going on at Expedia too -- discounted rates, but with the same fare-rules language.)

Priceline sell products on other companies behalf so it may be just a case of them pulling resident fares off of the Expedia Argentina site....probably a glitch. I remember Kayak search used to return Lan resident fares however when you clicked on them the price would go up.
At least they're displaying the 'resident rules' so you can't use the 'I didn't know I was buying a resident fare' excuse.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Priceline sell products on other companies behalf so it may be just a case of them pulling resident fares off of the Expedia Argentina site....probably a glitch. I remember Kayak search used to return Lan resident fares however when you clicked on them the price would go up.
At least they're displaying the 'resident rules' so you can't use the 'I didn't know I was buying a resident fare' excuse.
^ ^ ^ ^

(bolding is mine)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:40 am

Thanks

Last edited by clipclop; Apr 27, 2016 at 4:25 am
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Im sure you are happy with having "beat" the system, and that is certainly your choice to make..... But, you are breaking the rules.

I (as will many others here on these boards) will keep my fingers crossed that you are not caught while you use your tickets..... but I will go on record as saying that if you are by chance singled out, please be prepared to smile a lot and face the music. Your success in having a foreign issued ID put into your ticket/reservation means nothing (and you know this)... and it certainly does not mean you have played by the rules. I need not explain that all legal residents that are non nationals/citizens also have non-Argentine IDs... Also, the fact that you are paying in US Dollars is also unrelated to the specifics of the fare rules that apply to the fare you are purchasing, the same goes for the channel that you bought it from. The fare rules are the fare rules, no matter how you want to twist them.... that's how it works in Canada... so why should this be any different here in Argentina...???

Best of luck and safe travels... would love to hear from you once you have completed your journey.

I disagree... sorta...

When you buy via Priceline or Expedia, you're paying in US dollars. The price and currency is shown on the LAN ticket.

When a resident (or non-resident!) wants a resident fare, it's always paid in Argentine pesos.

Anyway, I got a ticket from Priceline. I called LAN right after and told them to add my (non-Argentine) identification document information to my ticketing. The agent did that without any issue. They added this to the "tax user identification" part of my ticket, too.

I feel good about that.

Wish me luck! (Thank you!)

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 27, 2015 at 7:18 pm
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jimmac
Always happy to follow your advice. And to respond to the good questions you raise.

Just to follow up on your question about Thailand, I tried today a couple of test one way fares, both cheapest available (for foreigners of course), both for June 5.

BA to Cordoba, Aerolineas, 653 km, US$156.00

Bangkok to Phuket, Air Asia, 692 km, US$46.36

Hope that helps folks visiting my favourite South American country know what they are getting into.
I have also found similar fares (BKKHKT) on TG (and I get to use the TG lounge...)
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:07 am

Thanks

Last edited by clipclop; Apr 27, 2016 at 4:24 am
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I hope all goes well for you.

However, just be aware that as long as it's booked in the resident fare bucket staff at AEP won't care where or how you bought your ticket. Hopefully they may not notice but be prepared in case they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.