Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

US Citizens visiting Argentina must pay Entry Fee prior to arrival (eff. 28 Dec 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Citizens visiting Argentina must pay Entry Fee prior to arrival (eff. 28 Dec 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Can I leave the US on a US passport and enter on a UK passport and convince the ticket seller that I do not need to pay the visa fee?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
Can I leave the US on a US passport and enter on a UK passport and convince the ticket seller that I do not need to pay the visa fee?
The ticket seller has nothing to do with the reciprocity fee. It is not a part of your ticket, nor is it a visa fee. It is an "on your own" fee, paid online.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes the fee is only fair but way they implemented it in the first place was the daftest thing they ever did. At least now there can be no confusion.

Care to expand?
Sure. It's a famous Argentine (and not just Argentine) pastime to charge foreigners more for the same product/service. From taxis to hotels, to airfare (it's even official pricing policy in Argentina). All with a big smile...

I grew up in Argentina and have no foreign accent but I cannot tell you how many times I have had inflated bills, rigged taxi meters, attempts to pass off fake currency when they've overheard me speaking English or Italian...

Don't get me wrong, I love Argentina. As an Italian perhaps I am sensitive to this and I see it happen in Italy (particularly in the south). There's not much difference in my opinion in terms of a total lack of civic mindedness and- despite their apparent charm- seeing you as a deep-pocketed foreigner that should pay more.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The ticket seller has nothing to do with the reciprocity fee. It is not a part of your ticket, nor is it a visa fee. It is an "on your own" fee, paid online.
Sure you can. I do this ALL the time with my Italian passport. Put the US one away when you board your flight to Argentina and take it out when you've left.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes one would think your DNI would be enough to get you through at EZE however I've no idea if AA will accept it as proof. Taking along your expired Argentine passport would certainly help if you still have it.
If you are using a US passport you have to pay the fee.

Why don't you use your Argentine passport to enter and leave?

You cannot use a DNI to enter Argentina except from a neighboring country.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just enter Argentina using your UK passport.

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
If you are using a US passport you have to pay the fee.

Why don't you use your Argentine passport to enter and leave?

You cannot use a DNI to enter Argentina except from a neighboring country.
His Argentine passport has expired but the simplest thing would indeed be to renew it. As for using your DNI to avoid paying the fee. Reports suggest that it is possible to avoid paying the fee even when travelling on a US passport if you can prove you were born in Argentina.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
It's not really part of the fare, they made it part of your ticket.
What exactly does that mean?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
What exactly does that mean?
Guessing he means it is not used to calculate the actual fare basis (I.E. TLUFXC,) but that is added on with YQ and other B.S. to achieve the final ticket price. But I am also guessing someone with 11,XXX posts already knew that, so maybe there is some sarcasm I am missing in previous pages haha.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Thank goodness I have a UK passport. That said, reciprocity fees are the dumbest fees ever invented. Either your country has a legitimate interest in restricting the entry of people from certain countries on security or economic grounds or it doesn't. If the former applies, then charge a visa fee and assess the immigration risk of the passenger (and no it can't be done by the airlines as suggested by an earlier poster). If it doesn't, then allow visa-free travel with no ridiculous "reciprocity fees" when the situations are substantially different.

The fact is that, rightly or wrongly, there is a far greater risk of illegal work by a person coming from a poorer country to a richer country than vice versa.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Guessing he means it is not used to calculate the actual fare basis (I.E. TLUFXC,) but that is added on with YQ and other B.S. to achieve the final ticket price. But I am also guessing someone with 11,XXX posts already knew that, so maybe there is some sarcasm I am missing in previous pages haha.
No I didn't. There are lots of times I am quite dumb (and many of my posts are in PR) The last I traveled to Argentina I was not an American citizen. That I only acquired 4 months ago - I had always left the US as a British citizen before; with a green card. So how do I avoid the YQ charge if traveling from the US to enter Argentina on a UK passport.

PS: I can be sarcastic but here I am being humble.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
No I didn't. There are lots of times I am quite dumb (and many of my posts are in PR) The last I traveled to Argentina I was not an American citizen. That I only acquired 4 months ago - I had always left the US as a British citizen before; with a green card. So how do I avoid the YQ charge if traveling from the US to enter Argentina on a UK passport.

PS: I can be sarcastic but here I am being humble.
My favorite airline (AA) has no YR to S America however it has a Q surcharge.
AC has YQ but it's not worth dumping unless you are UA elite.
(see a thread in MR Discussion for more details but even then base fares aren't that great)

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Jan 12, 2013 at 10:03 pm Reason: keyboard
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Works just fine except replace UK with HK
The bigger problem is returning to the US and not being able to do OLCI with HK passport data.
(Might be better if you have ESTA)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Works just fine except replace UK with HK
The bigger problem is returning to the US and not being able to do OLCI with HK passport data.
(Might be better if you have ESTA)
Thanks. I should have clarified by saying enter and depart Argentina on my UK passport. Clearly I would need my US passport to return to the US (since I have no green card any more.)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I should have clarified by saying enter and depart Argentina on my UK passport. Clearly I would need my US passport to return to the US (since I have no green card any more.)
Yes.
Show UK passport at exit immigration in Argentina and show US passport at US point of entry and/or Global Entry (although putting in UK passport details might mean they might not recognize you as being on the flight; regardless, you cannot be denied entry in the US)
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:50 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
I have managed to avoid the reciprocity fees for several years with alternate ports of entry as a non-rev, but I will just pay the price now because even the high cost of entry for a family of six cannot deter me from visiting this wonderful country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.