Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

US Citizens visiting Argentina must pay Entry Fee prior to arrival (eff. 28 Dec 2012)

US Citizens visiting Argentina must pay Entry Fee prior to arrival (eff. 28 Dec 2012)

Old Dec 31, 2012, 6:06 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by georgiastrick
the process does not upset me, the fee does - $160 per person is lame. wish i had not already purchased my tickets (there are 4 of us traveling to ba for 10 days) what a rip off!
It costs Argentine citizens more than that amount to get a Visa to enter the US.

Should I call that a rip off also...?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jimmac
it is called a reciprocity fee for a reason. It's reciprocal because the u.s., canada and australia impose visa requirements which cost the same amounts to argentinians. At least argentina just asks for the money without the hassle of embassy applications and and a whole page of your passport for a visa.

Canada requires visas for argentinians because our government bureaucrats are too goddam lazy to work out with airlines how to keep out people who won't go home or might claim refugee status. As a canadian i can assure you i don't go to sleep at night fearing a mass influx of illegals from argentina. Our government is too stupid or too lazy to focus on keeping out genuine illegals so they just impose blanket visa requirements on everyone from argentina. I don't blame argentina for reciprocating.

I'm arriving in ba next week and i've already paid our reciprocity fees online. I find it annoying but when i paid it i just got angry with idiots in ottawa.

I suspect if you looked to washington you'd find the same situation.
bravo !!!!!

^ ^ ^
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
As a Canadian I can assure you I don't go to sleep at night fearing a mass influx of illegals from Argentina.
I suspect if you looked to Washington you'd find the same situation.
Actually we estadounidense lose a lot of sleep over this, although not as bad as with some other locations, because people aren´t usually as dark or as short if they come from La Argentina.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Actually we estadounidense lose a lot of sleep over this, although not as bad as with some other locations, because people aren´t usually as dark or as short if they come from La Argentina.
Silly loss of sleep I think.

It would be nice for the Estadounidenses to remember that most the "chamaquitos" from Tacolandia (and other destinations) that come over the border do all the jobs that most "white folk" dont want/care to do. I would love to see what would happen with the US Economy if all the cheap labor from the various parts of the world would decide to all go on strike at the same time...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: american airlines
it started in december of 2012 - i only had to pay $30 us to get into chile and a china visa was not that costly!

Last edited by georgiastrick; Jan 4, 2013 at 10:52 am
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: american airlines
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
It costs Argentine citizens more than that amount to get a Visa to enter the US.

Should I call that a rip off also...?

yes!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
it started in december of 2012
It most certainly didn't. You may have just found out about it but reciprocity fees in both Chile and Argentina have been around for a lot longer than that.

The only thing that's changed recently in Argentina is the requirement to pre-pay online before you arrive and the fact that it applies to all ports of entry not just the two airports in Buenos Aires.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it started in december of 2012 - i only had to pay $30 us to get into chile and a china visa was not that costly!
My first Chile entry in 2001 was $61. If you would like to see it, it is stapled in my old passport, which I carry with me because my Argentina sticker is in there.

I have only been to Chile 20-some times since then, and Argentina perhaps a similar amount since 2007, all entries with a US passport, so I may not have enough expertise to chime in and figure out how you had a $30 Chile entry
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by britenbsas
It most certainly didn't..
Indeed....December 2009 it started.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
It is called a Reciprocity Fee for a reason. It's reciprocal because the U.S., Canada and Australia impose visa requirements which cost the same amounts to Argentinians. At least Argentina just asks for the money without the hassle of embassy applications and and a whole page of your passport for a visa.

Canada requires visas for Argentinians because our government bureaucrats are too goddam lazy to work out with airlines how to keep out people who won't go home or might claim refugee status. As a Canadian I can assure you I don't go to sleep at night fearing a mass influx of illegals from Argentina. Our government is too stupid or too lazy to focus on keeping out genuine illegals so they just impose blanket visa requirements on everyone from Argentina. I don't blame Argentina for reciprocating.

I'm arriving in BA next week and I've already paid our Reciprocity Fees online. I find it annoying but when I paid it I just got angry with idiots in Ottawa.

I suspect if you looked to Washington you'd find the same situation.
You could get a tourist visa in Toronto for $52.50 if you're willing to fill out the form and surrender your passport for 1-2 weeks.
(That being said when I went there I used a foreign passport that doesn't require a visa, though returning to the US can be a problem when the foreign passport requires a visa to enter.)
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
You could get a tourist visa in Toronto for $52.50 if you're willing to fill out the form and surrender your passport for 1-2 weeks.
(That being said when I went there I used a foreign passport that doesn't require a visa, though returning to the US can be a problem when the foreign passport requires a visa to enter.)
I'm not willing to surrender my passport for a week or two.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: AAdvatnage
Proof of Payment

Hello,

Does anyone know if I need to keep a copy of the print out saying I paid the reciprocity fee once I'm done visiting Argentina if I want to visit again in the next 10 years?

I paid my fee before I left JFK and the passport control agent at EZE stamped my passport with an entry stamp but did not make any other mark in the passport saying I paid the fee.

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SnowCrash51295
Hello,

Does anyone know if I need to keep a copy of the print out saying I paid the reciprocity fee once I'm done visiting Argentina if I want to visit again in the next 10 years?

I paid my fee before I left JFK and the passport control agent at EZE stamped my passport with an entry stamp but did not make any other mark in the passport saying I paid the fee.

Thanks!
I would say "si." I say this because every time I enter (with my new passport and old one that has the receipt) it takes them a few minutes to enter all the information again, and they have had my new passport info with the receipt info in their system for several entries.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Avoiding both the Chilean and Argentine reciprocity fees

I'm planning on taking my family of 5 from the USA to Argentina later this year. We currently do not have Argentine reciprocity stickers, and only I have a valid Chilean one.

I am holding an AA/LAN award travel reservation between the USA and Mendoza with a 4-hour connection at SCL. Am I correct that we would not have to "enter" Chile and pay the reciprocity? In other words, we would be international transit pax and not subject to the Chilean fee?

I can then enter Argentina at the Mendoza airport without any entry fee, right?

We then plan to eventually travel from Mendoza to Buenos Aires, probably by air. That's internal so no problem.

Finally, we would leave Argentina from EZE back to the USA. Since the Argentina fee is only an entry fee, I could leave without paying. Right?

5 x $160 is $800, and god forbid I'd have to pay it to both Chile and Argentina. So I want to make sure I've got this right. Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
...I can then enter Argentina at the Mendoza airport without any entry fee, right?...
No, as of yesterday you are required to pay the entry fee in advance, no matter whether you are entering Argentina via land, sea or air.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.