Search

Hiking recommendations in Bariloche?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: marriott
Hiking recommendations in Bariloche?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help with hiking in Bariloche. We've got an SUV at our disposal, but not sure where to start in terms of hiking.

We're fairly avid hikers in California, so fairly comfortable figuring things out. Looking for day hikes.

Do we need to hook up with an adventure outfitter or can we go it alone? Are trails well marked / are there maps available, either at the trailhead or at a tourist office? We're renting a house, so I think support will be minimal and we'll be figuring things out alone. If you recommend going with a tour company, any favorites to recommend?

I did find this thread, but it's several years out of date: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...argentina.html

Any more recent suggestions / updates? Thanks
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:44 pm

The "Valle Encantado" has some very nice day hikes I'd recommend. It's been awhile since I've been there, and I went with a guide when I did.

My guides were Jorge or Craig from www.andescross.com - they do some pretty involved guiding in lots of more extreme places these days, but they could probably either (1) tell you where to go that you'd be good on your own, (2) take you themselves if they're not otherwise committed already or (3) refer you to someone else in the vicinity.

Bariloche is one of the most beautiful places I've been, anywhere. Enjoy it!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
You can absolutely hike by yourself. I went a few years ago up to a refuge at the base of a glacier and it was fantastic. The refuge (Otto Meiling I think) had a full kitchen and steak and wine were had very easily and at a surprisingly affordable price. The next day, I rented crampons and went with a group out onto the glacier. I loved my experience and would happily do it again.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You can acquire hiking maps of the area locally once you arrive. As for guides that'll largely depend on what type of walks you are planning on doing. If it's over the higher ground then hiring a guide might be wise depending on the time of year. If it's just low level walks then there's no need.

Having the use of a SUV will help greatly as there are many dirt roads which will take you into some wilderness areas. One we used took us to a quiet part of a lake Trafull where there was a camping ground and the start of a hiking path around the lakeside....there are many others.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:57 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Where are you staying.....? A local Concierge may have some good tips also....
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:30 am

Los Arrayanes National Park

Last month we flew into Bariloche and stayed in Villa la Angostura. We hiked in Los Arrayanes National Park. We took a half hour boat ride to the end of the peninsula (beautiful ride) and hiked 10 miles back to the base of the peninsula. Another more sane way to do it is to take the boat, hike an hour or two into the park, turn around, hike out and take the boat back. There were some mountain bikers on the trail but not too many. I think we were the only non-Argentinians on the trail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Arr..._National_Park.

Let me know if you are going on the route of the seven lakes.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Excellent responses all around. So glad to know that we'll be ok figuring things out alone should we choose to.

@Gaucho we are staying at a home rental on the shore of Lake Nahuel Huapi (near Villa Nahuel Malal). We won't have any concierge support from the lodging, but are you saying that there are local concierge companies or something that I should consider?

@Lotus it looks like we'll be fairly far from Los Arrayanes, but it looks beautiful!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

To close the loop, we hiked by ourselves and had no troubles. We did one path at llao llao park with views of perito Moreno lake. It was right off the circuito chico loop and very easy to see and navigate. We also pulled off at Arroyo Lopez and hiked toward the refugio - I highly recommend this. It was steep and without great footing but with incredible views. Had such a great time!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. ^

Keep in touch as your experiences might come in handy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.