Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Planning a trip to Argentina

Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis

Hi all. I'm just looking for a bit of advice on a potential itinerary for a trip involving Argentina for March 2015.

We're taking an Antarctic cruise out of Ushuaia on 12 March, and since we're going all that way, we figured we should spend at least a little extra time in the country. We've been to BA before (for a Cow Do a couple of years ago), but we'd also like to see some of Iguazú Falls and Ushuaia/Tiera del Fuego while we're there. I was thinking of the following:
YVR-EZE
2-3 nights in BA
AEP-IGR
2-3 nights in Iguazú
IGR-AEP-USH
2-3 nights in Ushuaia
12-night cruise
USH-AEP/EZE-YVR
The reason to do BA first is to avoid one of the transfers between EZE and AEP. I'd like to get all the intra-Argentina flights on LA using AA miles - at 6K per segment it seems like a real bargain, and the baggage policies on LA look better than AR.

Some questions.
  • Does this look like a decent itinerary?
  • Is 2-3 nights in Iguazú and Ushuaia too much or too little?
  • We're planning on taking UA from YVR-EZE because of the flat bed. Are there other airlines offering flat beds to EZE?
  • Is LA the right choice over AR? AR does have the advantage of flying USH-EZE.
  • How long should we allow for the AEP-EZE transfer?
  • Should we just overnight in BA on the way back to avoid the AEP-EZE transfer?
Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:05 am

From the general consensus around 2 nights in Iguazu is about right.

LAN offer flat bed and AA are currently rolling out their own flat bed which I would have thought would be ready in time for your trip.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by moronic50
LAN offer flat bed and AA are currently rolling out their own flat bed which I would have thought would be ready in time for your trip.
Others who are more knowledgeable about AA than I am have told me that they don't think AA will deploy the flat-bed on this route in the forseeable future. I'll have to search to see if there are any reasonable routings that involve LA.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:20 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Iguazu looks fine.... 2/3 in Ushuaia seems a little too much, unless you have a specific game plan. Have you considered building in a trip to Mendoza...???
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Have you considered building in a trip to Mendoza...???
We hadn't considered Mendoza, but we'll look at it. Unfortunately we wouldn't really have the time to do both Iguazú and Mendoza, though, so we'd have to choose between the two.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We hadn't considered Mendoza, but we'll look at it. Unfortunately we wouldn't really have the time to do both Iguazú and Mendoza, though, so we'd have to choose between the two.
Mendoza trumps Iguazu only if you are quite serious about Wine. Else, its Iguazu, no contest.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I'd like to get all the intra-Argentina flights on LA using AA miles - at 6K per segment it seems like a real bargain, and the baggage policies on LA look better than AR.
Wow... now I feel dumb. I've NEVER paid attention to that part of the AA award chart before, just the pyramid portion. That's a great ROI on AA miles. Thanks for making my honeymoon planning that much more awesome! ^
Old May 14, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Others who are more knowledgeable about AA than I am have told me that they don't think AA will deploy the flat-bed on this route in the forseeable future. I'll have to search to see if there are any reasonable routings that involve LA.
The current AA 777-300 that have the flat bed in J and the suite in F will not be deployed to EZE runs in the forseeable future. However, AA has announced that they will be changing the configuration of the 777-200 fleet (which does the EZE flights, among others) to 2 class of service. No more F, but flat beds in J, and Main Cabin Extra plus 10-across in the back.

Flights are supposed to start in September 2014.

Check out this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-moved-16.html
Old May 14, 2014, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
The current AA 777-300 that have the flat bed in J and the suite in F will not be deployed to EZE runs in the forseeable future. However, AA has announced that they will be changing the configuration of the 777-200 fleet (which does the EZE flights, among others) to 2 class of service. No more F, but flat beds in J, and Main Cabin Extra plus 10-across in the back.

Check out this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-moved-16.html
Does this mean that American will offer only 2 class service to EZE for all its flights.... even the JFK to EZE will no longer be 3 class...?
Old May 14, 2014, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Does this mean that American will offer only 2 class service to EZE for all its flights.... even the JFK to EZE will no longer be 3 class...?
Yep... 772s will be 2-class birds (with C being something of a C+)

I would guess that sometime during the transition, the F suites on the unrefurbished flights will be sold as C. I would put my money on first come/first served, but perhaps they'll marked in the system as being preferred seats for elites and full C only.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:25 pm

Gotta love that handle....
Old May 16, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If they keep flying the 772 to EZE, then yes. If there's enough demand for F, they could switch to a 77W (777-300ER) which has 3 class service including horizontal full-flat on both F and J.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
I would also consider El Calafate, close to the excellent Perito Moreno Glacier,
as an option. It is only just over an hour by plane north of Ushuaia.
Very impressive, especially as I visited the glacier after a 10 day Antarctic voyage.

Itaipu dam, just over the border in Paraguay ,is worth considering as a half day trip from Iguazu.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Is LA the right choice over AR? AR does have the advantage of flying USH-EZE.[*]How long should we allow for the AEP-EZE transfer?[*]Should we just overnight in BA on the way back to avoid the AEP-EZE transfer?[/list][/indent]
Thanks.
I would take LA over AR any day based on my own experiences in Argentina. The AEP-EZE transfer depends on the time of day on which you'd arrive but I'd say give yourself at least 4 hours. The trip should only be like an hour between the two airports, but you really just never know.

Finally, I think an overnight in BA is worth it. Target a great steakhouse you want to visit, and make that overnight count!

Enjoy Argentina and as others said, Iguazu is amazing but if you find a way to sneak in some time in Mendoza, it's a great place to visit!
Old May 27, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PatoLoco
I would take LA over AR any day based on my own experiences in Argentina.
Unfortunately, they have a terrible schedule making it impossible to get from IGR to USH in one day, and they don't even operate a flight out of USH on the date we need.

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
AA has announced that they will be changing the configuration of the 777-200 fleet (which does the EZE flights, among others) to 2 class of service. No more F, but flat beds in J, and Main Cabin Extra plus 10-across in the back.

Thanks, I'll check out that thread. If they can guarantee a flat bed for next March, it's a definite possibility.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.