Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPad in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

iPad in Argentina

I'm planning a trip/cruise to Argentina in March 2013 with my "new" iPad (the LTE one). I'm looking for prepaid data options but haven't found anything obvious from Claro, Personal, or Movistar. I'll be there for 10 days in mostly BsAs, plus one day each in Puerto Madryn and Ushuaia. What are my options for data only (no voice or SMS)?

I also have a couple days in Uruguay and Chile, so anything that might work there, too, would be good.

Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:30 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
iPad in Argentina

I decided to give it a go and got a MicroSIM card from Personal.

Unlimited 3G (not LTE) data is one peso per day, I bought a data card at Carrefour (the Personal store had indicated I could buy a $10 peso card, but the smallest Carrefour would sell me was $20 pesos.)

Installed in my Verizon "new iPad" effortlessly and works reliably.

I'm blanking on the cost of the SIM but it was the same thing someone else had posted here.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:52 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for sharing this.... how is the bandwidth...??
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:46 am

Thanks for sharing. I'm doing some research for our trip in April. Looking for SIM options for my Huawei E585 mifi device.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
The "one peso" plan per day is good for the first 10MB of data but after that you will get a 64kbp/s (8KB/s) which is good to check just the email.

For 5 pesos per day (from Claro), you have the 3G data plan for the first 250MB, which is lot more that 10MB , just make sure that you activate the simcard as a prepaid data plan only.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Verizon iPads use I'm cards?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:57 pm

Adding my own experience... I bought a run of the mill Movistar chip at a kiosko recently for AR$10, put AR$30 on it (which, since I needed to activate it first, I needed to do from a mobile phone - not an iPad), and it's been working in my iPad ever sicne for a peso a day. Speeds are not fast, but not slow. For some reason things actually seem a lot faster on my iPad than in my iPhone using a Movistar chip that I've had for awhile now. I usually have wifi I can use, but it's nice to be able to fall back on cellular data if I need to - and at AR$1/day it's basically free.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Schultzois
Adding my own experience... I bought a run of the mill Movistar chip at a kiosko recently for AR$10, put AR$30 on it (which, since I needed to activate it first, I needed to do from a mobile phone - not an iPad), and it's been working in my iPad ever sicne for a peso a day. Speeds are not fast, but not slow. For some reason things actually seem a lot faster on my iPad than in my iPhone using a Movistar chip that I've had for awhile now. I usually have wifi I can use, but it's nice to be able to fall back on cellular data if I need to - and at AR$1/day it's basically free.
Great report... thanks for sharing your experience !!! ^
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
The "one peso" plan per day is good for the first 10MB of data but after that you will get a 64kbp/s (8KB/s) which is good to check just the email.

For 5 pesos per day (from Claro), you have the 3G data plan for the first 250MB, which is lot more that 10MB , just make sure that you activate the simcard as a prepaid data plan only.
I just took note of this (and what you've said could explain why I had such inconsistencies in speed from time to time, both on iPad and especially iPhone).

For the Claro SIM, what needs to be done with Claro to activate as prepaid data plan only? Is this something done directly with Claro? The chip I'm using I literally bought at a kiosco, popped into my phone so that I could figure out the number and add credit, and then put it into my iPad. It's from movistar, but the same kiosco had Claro chips as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.