UK elections 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
UK elections 2015

OK, it's an odd one for this forum..

but I'm in Buenos Aires on Thursday (7 May), the date of the UK's general election. The first results are expected 8 p.m.-ish Buenos Aires time

I'm not involved in politics, but I get a kick out of watching the early results come in on TV and witnessing the eccentric commentary as these are extrapolated into crazy outcomes. Plus I'm leaving behind a postal vote, so i want to see what impact this has ....

I seem to remember last time I was in the city, my hotel was missing the crucial BBC connection: so wonder if there's likely to be any watering hole where it might be possible to watch UK television.

Perhaps some mad anglophile hotel lounge?
Old May 4, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I have no idea if they will show anything, but here might be a place to ask. This is a pub in San Telmo.

http://www.thegibraltarbar.com/
Old May 4, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I have no idea if they will show anything, but here might be a place to ask. This is a pub in San Telmo.

http://www.thegibraltarbar.com/
Thanks ! I'm always happy to try out a pub....
Old May 4, 2015, 3:49 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Pull your political connections and get an invite to the Embassy......?

Most of the large international hotels will at least have CNN, not all may have the BBC option but CNN will certainly cover the UK Elections.

So, who is your "horse" to take the race....???

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old May 5, 2015, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What you really want is a good internet connection. We have the BBC World channel at home but I can watch BBC live on my laptop using the Firefox/Google Chrome add on.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
What you really want is a good internet connection. We have the BBC World channel at home but I can watch BBC live on my laptop using the Firefox/Google Chrome add on.
HIDDY - I forgot you were the BAEC Forum ambassador to Argentina!

I have a MacBook and I have Firefox - no idea how good the hotel's internet connection is. But let's suppose it's A1: do I need to do anything fiendishly complicated to get the BBC ?

I've noticed that BBC World can studiously ignore home affairs, I'm guessing to present a less parochial image.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Pull your political connections and get an invite to the Embassy......?

Most of the large international hotels will at least have CNN, not all may have the BBC option but CNN will certainly cover the UK Elections.

So, who is your "horse" to take the race....???

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
I'm left a postal vote in the system at home, but it's aimed at my local representative rather than attempting to shore up the position or credibility of any candidate for prime minister.

The system is a mess, and the campaign has been irritating rather than elucidating.

The SNP leader has done a terrific job in Scotland, and has impressed many of us south of the border.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
HIDDY - I forgot you were the BAEC Forum ambassador to Argentina!

I have a MacBook and I have Firefox - no idea how good the hotel's internet connection is. But let's suppose it's A1: do I need to do anything fiendishly complicated to get the BBC ?

I've noticed that BBC World can studiously ignore home affairs, I'm guessing to present a less parochial image.
Just download Media Hint and you're okay to go. It used to be free but I see they now only give a 7 day free trial. I also use Hola Better Internet on Google to watch other UK channels. I'm sure there are others out there.
I agree BBC World is disappointing. Okay for International news and affairs in English but it's just not British enough for my liking.

Getting a bit chilly here now so bring a woolly jumper.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Just download Media Hint and you're okay to go. It used to be free but I see they now only give a 7 day free trial. I also use Hola Better Internet on Google to watch other UK channels. I'm sure there are others out there.
I agree BBC World is disappointing. Okay for International news and affairs in English but it's just not British enough for my liking.

Getting a bit chilly here now so bring a woolly jumper.
Wish you'd got the sweater news to me earlier The forecasts of 20+ fooled me into thinking VERY early autumn: but there's a definite chill in the air when you dip out of the sun.

I'm the teeniest bit embarrassed to say I spent election night in a fug of G&T and Malbec, setting the world to rights with some nice people I met in the hotel. There was a second-hand invitation to election night at the embassy, with odd instructions about minimum purchases of (subsidised) beer. Odd, and I passed on that.

The election result is not one I'd hoped for: but I have to agree that an outright majority is is a Good Thing.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:24 am

Despite my doubts BBC World ended up covering the election results live from London....swingometer and all. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.