Wiki Posts
Search

Quick MR trip report and some questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Quick MR trip report and some questions

Got here today morning. Shared bus from manuel tienda leon to Plaza Marriott costs $16 - very resonable. Took about 1.5hours door to door. Lot of traffic in city.

Lunch at El Federal - near Marriott. Recommended by tripadvisor. Good food, even better wine and espresso.

Q where do i buy good quality boca junior tshirts? I have browsed florida st and the mall close to here so far. This is top of my list.

Q Alfajor - best ones are? I have tried havana and they are good. Any other sweets specific to argentina which i can take back?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:32 pm

Boca shirts on Florida or Lavalle streets.

Alfajores. Havanna are the most popular. Ask for Balcarce or Guaymallen. they are not easy to find and quite different from Havanna.

Other sweet. You must bring back dulce de leche. Best brands in my opinion:
Chimbote, La Salamandra, La Serenisima, Sancor, Havanna. You must try a dulce de leche ice cream at a good heladeria like Persicco (www.persicco.com) or Freddo (www.freddo.com.ar). Your MR will be a failure if you do not try this.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:47 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Balcarce and Guaymallen are 3rd tier..... I suggest you stay clear from them. If you want an alternative to the classic Havanna brand, then seek out El Cachafaz.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Dec 12, 2011 at 3:37 pm
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I find Havanna over rated....I was totally underwhelmed when I first had them.

There are some wine merchants who sell some wonderful dulce de leche chocolate covered cones which are delicious as well as discs which contain a prune and walnut centre. You buy them loose and are definitely worth the money. The cones have a brown wrapper and the prune/walnut a green wrapper.
I don't know the brand name but believe they are made by monks. Gaucho100K probably knows.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I find Havanna over rated....I was totally underwhelmed when I first had them.

There are some wine merchants who sell some wonderful dulce de leche chocolate covered cones which are delicious as well as discs which contain a prune and walnut centre. You buy them loose and are definitely worth the money. The cones have a brown wrapper and the prune/walnut a green wrapper.
I don't know the brand name but believe they are made by monks. Gaucho100K probably knows.
sounds like some regional specialty.... not sure Ive had these you mention before.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
sounds like some regional specialty.... not sure Ive had these you mention before.
Could be....they really are delicious....the best I've ever tasted.

I shall try and find out the brand and let you know.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Balcarce and Guaymallen are 3rd tier..... I suggest you stay clear from them. If you want an alternative to the classic Havana brand, then seek out El Cachafaz.

Clearly a matter of opinion which I do not share. I have not tried el cachafaz. And I believe the brand is "HAVANNA" with two n's, right?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Another great chocolate treat in Argentina is "Chocolate en Rama", you can actually pick some of this in the Duty Free Shop.
And definitely go to Freddo for some Dulce de Leche Ice cream... 1/2 a kg of that and a bottle of Malbec were dinner for me one night, and it was awesome... worth the extra hour or two on the treadmill the next day!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
Clearly a matter of opinion which I do not share. I have not tried el cachafaz. And I believe the brand is "HAVANNA" with two n's, right?
Yes, typo on Havanna - thank you for noting this.

Please try El Cachafaz..... yes, you are of course entitled to your opinion and all our palates are different, but the brands you mention use ingredients and have manufacturing that place then in a specific market segment. I dont mean the 3rd tier in a negative way, just stating the facts. Its like comparing Tumi with Samsonite.... the latter aint bad, but Tumi is in a different league.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.