Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone carried on LCD TV on carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ULDB65
The price difference on TV's and computer monitors (pretty much the same thing now) is indeed ridiculous, and is why I have been a mule for 6 of them in just the last 18 months, keeping all the family happy...
The price difference is solely down to supply and demand I imagine. We were going to buy a LG HD one a couple of months ago as one of the banks were offering a deal if using their card. Once the discount came off it wasn't too bad a price actually.
We decided just to wait as the prices will come down eventually. Good idea using the suit carrier. ^
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Just FYI, the good folks @ EZE Aduana this morning must have been extra vigilant. The lines were the longest and slowest I've ever seen.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The price difference is solely down to supply and demand I imagine. We were going to buy a LG HD one a couple of months ago as one of the banks were offering a deal if using their card. Once the discount came off it wasn't too bad a price actually.
We decided just to wait as the prices will come down eventually. Good idea using the suit carrier. ^
It's not really possible to do a good comparison. The models assembled in Argentina for the local market are different from those sold elsewhere. Generally I've found that comparing TVs with equivalent specs of the same brand are about 2-3X more expensive than the price in the US (assuming you buy from a vendor such as Amazon - and avoid sales tax and get free shipping).
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta
Me too..stuffed a 32 inch samsung in the suitcase. The exact same television goes for US $975.00 in AR, Costco, 375.00. Was a slim, led television and fit in a 30 inch suitcase. Always a risk, but it worked out for me.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:46 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Just FYI, the good folks @ EZE Aduana this morning must have been extra vigilant. The lines were the longest and slowest I've ever seen.
the customs guys at EZE.... que manga de pelotudos...
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The price difference is solely down to supply and demand I imagine.
Not entirely.... in Argentina, the tax structure comes into play, local stuff gets advantages as the import blocks make it possible for the somewhat older technology made here to even have a market.

As an example, the new Samsung displays on the market right now are on average Series 5... I think in the US Samsung is out with the Series 9.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Not entirely.... in Argentina, the tax structure comes into play, local stuff gets advantages as the import blocks make it possible for the somewhat older technology made here to even have a market.

As an example, the new Samsung displays on the market right now are on average Series 5... I think in the US Samsung is out with the Series 9.
The only advantage of buying TVs in Argentina is that they will be Trinorma - which is really only important if you watch OTA programming.

Newer models of TVs in the US often offer wired/wireless internet support for video streaming etc., so those models won't necessarily be replicated for the Argentine market. The US market generally has a new generation of models at least yearly, and once the newer models are released, the previous versions are deeply discounted for quick sales. Those older models are often more advanced that the current specs for the Argentine assembled models.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:22 am

The issue with cutting edge technology in Argentina is not so much a price issue, but also the actual feeds of the content you will display. HD feeds from the cable companies are of mostly poor quality... so at least for now, there is little sense in getting the best TVs out there because the bandwith here is just not there.

The only exception is DVD like media where you can get the latest 3D movies and then maybe you can enjoy the max out of your display..... for the rest, forget it for now.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:41 am

The issue with cutting edge technology in Argentina is not so much a price issue, but also the actual feeds of the content you will display. HD feeds from the cable companies are of mostly poor quality... so at least for now, there is little sense in getting the best TVs out there because the bandwith here is just not there.
A very good point to consider.

It's a bit like owning a Ferrari on the island of Guernsey where the max speed limit is 30mph.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:15 pm

It's a bit like owning a Ferrari on the island of Guernsey where the max speed limit is 30mph.
Or buying your wife expensive jewelery, when she can't parade it around in public.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Or buying your wife expensive jewelery,
No chance of me doing such a thing.

I bought a digital cordless phone system with three handsets before moving from the UK then found out it's a different system they use here.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:19 am

Is there anybody on Guernsey that drives such vehicles...?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:21 am

I bought a digital cordless phone system with three handsets before moving from the UK then found out it's a different system they use here.
Huh....?

Wait a sec... if you have a cordless system with its dedicated base and three handsets, it should work... I mean, you may need a Voltage converter to power up the base system and then you just plug the phone line to the phone jack.... how could there be any compatibility issues...? Unless the base unit is some sort of highly complex digital switboard technology, I dont see how it would not work.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:04 am

Huh....?

Wait a sec... if you have a cordless system with its dedicated base and three handsets, it should work... I mean, you may need a Voltage converter to power up the base system and then you just plug the phone line to the phone jack.... how could there be any compatibility issues...? Unless the base unit is some sort of highly complex digital switboard technology, I dont see how it would not work.
Not according to the telecom experts here it isn't. All to do with the digital system that's used in the UK and elsewhere I imagine. I tried everything and couldn't get them to work.

The handsets here seem to be much bulkier than the slimline ones you get in the UK as well. This was over four years ago so they were put back in the box and there they have stayed. So unless something has changed here they still won't work.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:22 am

Wow.... well then I guess that the phone companies in the UK wire the phone system to a different standard, I thought that all standard phone jacks worked worldwide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.