Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Best shop in BA to purchase a coffee maker?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Bit of a long shot here but thought I'd give it a try.

Now that I've managed to source a supply of semi decent coffee beans I thought the next step should be to purchase an espresso maker with built in milk frother.....it might just make my coffee taste like the cafe stuff.
Had a look around the shops here and the choice is woeful....only a couple of makes that neither I or the wife have ever heard of. To be honest they don't really look up to the job.

Just wondered if anyone can recommend a decent machine that will be available to purchase in BA or through Mercado Libre. Given that I am a RSJ drinker you'll then know that money is no option here.......so try and keep it below 2k pesos.

Oh yes none of those coffee capsule toys....I want the real thing.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
I don't have any specific recommendations, but it's probably advisable to get a model that can be serviced/spare parts available in Argentina. You might look on Amazon for reviews of any of the models on Mercadolibre that look like they might fit the bill price-wise.

And you coffee source is ....?@:-)
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
And you coffee source is ....?@:-)
A van comes to town every Monday from BA or La Plata and delivers to most of the cafes and clubs here. The best stuff I can lay my hands on without having to go into BA. Casa Do Cafe it's called.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:06 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Hiddy, I assume you are looking for a proper coffee machine (espresso machine), and not the typical spoof juice maker (filter & drip)...... if so, John is right on about service and parts.

I have a Swiss made Jura S90 machine that served me very well for over 10 years, but when the brewing unit died I had to schlep it with me to JFK and have it serviced there... I had it fixed and I know I have a great machine for another 8-10 years, but the hassle to get it fixed was considerable.

The best machines that have good local service are the Saeco. I suggest you do some research here:

http://www.saeco-argentina.com/
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The best machines that have good local service are the Saeco. [/url]
Yes Saeco seems to be the most popular brand although the shops here don't have a great selection to choose from.
Your machine looks the business but I'd be wanting a car not a expresso maker for that sort of money.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Doode... my old S90 is now vintage.... probably would not fetch $300 if I put in on Ebay. I would love to invest in one of the new Jura babies... those monsters are high-end. If Jura had a local rep I would have no doubts. You are right about their pricing... it is an investment of sorts but I think that its money well spent considering what inflation is doing to currency these days, I think the ROI from enjoyment and the good life factor is far superior to what most cash will give you these days.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

I hear you but I just couldn't justify paying that sort of money for a coffee maker.
I have no real need for an automatic one as I don't exactly have to rush out to work in the morning so going for a manual one cuts a fair whack off the cost plus it's one less thing to get broken. Shall probably go for a middle of the road Saeco....do you have any web links to a supplier in BA by any chance?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:29 am

I suggest you check the large consumer products chaines like...

- Garbarino
- Fravega
- Megatone
- Rodo
- Las Malvinas
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Gaucho100K.

Had a look at the shops here today. Very poor selection of espresso machines of all makes never mind Saeco.
Only one Saeco to be had...a basic manual model but it'll do me till I want to go upmarket.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: AA since 1998, 1.96 M miles
Hiddy, we bought a Saeco Odeo almost 4 years ago from Garbarino in Bs. As., its makes good coffee and its been easy to maintain:
- http://www.saeco.it/it/prodotti/macc...giro-plus.html.
- http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...&slg=es&scy=AR

Also, there's a boutique coffee supply store on Pueyrredon, near Santa Fe. I forget the name and address, but its on the east side of the street between Arenales and French. They have a pretty good selection of machines, accessories, cleaning supplies, and coffee beans.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Cheers for the info. ^
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: AA since 1998, 1.96 M miles
Hiddy, I found a link for the coffee shop: http://www.estcafe.com.ar/. FYI, i've done some more research and it seems to me the Delonghi brand gets the best user reviews at Amazon.com and several other sites. We've bought a couple of Delonghi appliances in the past few years and have been very happy with them. But Saeco espresso machines are easier to find in Argentina.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by KurtD
Hiddy, I found a link for the coffee shop: http://www.estcafe.com.ar/. FYI, i've done some more research and it seems to me the Delonghi brand gets the best user reviews at Amazon.com and several other sites. We've bought a couple of Delonghi appliances in the past few years and have been very happy with them. But Saeco espresso machines are easier to find in Argentina.
Great info !!!! ^
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Only one Saeco to be had...a basic manual model but it'll do me till I want to go upmarket.
In the end I just went for the cheap Saeco model as it was the only one they had.

After some faffing about which nearly had me taking it back to the shop I eventually mastered how it should be operated. I have to say what a difference it has made to my enjoyment of drinking coffee.

The coffee tastes so much better now. ^
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:25 am

Hiddy... when will you break the piggy-bank and purchase a proper fully automatic with electronic control dual pump and two grinders with cup warmer and shiny stainless steel look machine to make me coffee when I visit you...........?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.