Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page > River Plate - not the best of times

River Plate - not the best of times

Old Jun 27, 11, 12:41 am

River Plate - not the best of times

How could this happen? Relegated to B division? wow!

Gaucho, were you there with Los Borrachos del Tablon?
Old Jun 27, 11, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: 00.05% towards Lifetime Gold.
Well I'm still trying to get to grips with how they work out the domestic leagues here. One needs to be a mathematician to know whether your team is doing well or doing badly.
I have been told it is like that in order to prevent the big teams from being relegated but all it seems to do is confuse people and players alike. Strange set up.

I can understand the River Plate fans being upset but why did they have to go on the rampage and smash up the place?
Old Jun 27, 11, 8:32 am

Programs: AA, BA
was the "riot" much worse than any superclasico game we have seen? honestly.
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:10 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Originally Posted by cochino_BA View Post
was the "riot" much worse than any superclasico game we have seen? honestly.
Is this post supposed to be funny...?

Of course this was much worse than anything that has been seen at soccer stadiums in Argentina for over 20 years.
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Well I'm still trying to get to grips with how they work out the domestic leagues here. One needs to be a mathematician to know whether your team is doing well or doing badly.

I have been told it is like that in order to prevent the big teams from being relegated but all it seems to do is confuse people and players alike. Strange set up.

I can understand the River Plate fans being upset but why did they have to go on the rampage and smash up the place?
Indeed... the system here is quite strange and unique. As much as the system was modified to try to prevent the large teams from going under, the horrendous performances by River Plate over the past 4-5 years made it impossible for the team to remain in the A league. I think we should go back to the old system, where the last 1-2 teams of each season should be relegated. This entire average system is unjust for the new teams that make the A league, and is in my view a disgrace.... of couse, this is just another spot on Don Corleone´s resume.....
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper View Post
How could this happen? Relegated to B division? wow!

Gaucho, were you there with Los Borrachos del Tablon?
I am a long time fan & supporter of River Plate.... but the Borrachos del Tablon are a group of lawless thugs that should all be incarcerated. They and their actions are one of the reasons that River Plate is where it is today... they are a disgrace to River Plate and to all Argentine Football.

In the end, it is a good thing that River was relegated.... because this will force the Club and all its voting members to finally have to realize the chaos that the Club is in. Had River escaped relegation, most of the major problems that are long dated and structural would have been swept under the table. As hard as this relegation is, one can only hope that it will force changes into a legendary club that got into this mess after a gross series of inept and corrupt group of elected officials.
Old Jun 27, 11, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
In the end, it is a good thing that River was relegated.... because this will force the Club and all its voting members to finally have to realize the chaos that the Club is in. Had River escaped relegation, most of the major problems that are long dated and structural would have been swept under the table. As hard as this relegation is, one can only hope that it will force changes into a legendary club that got into this mess after a gross series of inept and corrupt group of elected officials.
Well said.....a wake up call is just what is needed. It wouldn't do Boca any harm either.

I remember in 1973 when Manchester United last got relegated. They had been through a lot of turmoil in the years leading up to it. That was a wake up call for them. They gained promotion straight away and have never looked back since.
Old Jun 27, 11, 9:02 pm

My son's spanish teacher is a big River Plate fan. In turn, he often wears Boca shirts to school. They have an ongoing debate on the better team.

I guess that solves that .....
Old Jun 28, 11, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Why do you bring this subject???? Ohhh lord.... Im a loooog time River Plate supporter "desde la cuna" defines my love for this club.
I will quote Gaucho100k here cause what he says is exactly what I've been thinking the last weeks:

"most of the major problems that are long dated and structural would have been swept under the table. As hard as this relegation is, one can only hope that it will force changes into a legendary club that got into this mess after a gross series of inept and corrupt group of elected officials. "

And Im flying to BA in July and Im thinking how hard it will be to deal with my dear "bosteros" friends
Old Jun 28, 11, 11:38 pm

Bosteros - myself included - should not be too jubilant. I would not be shocked to find us playing the "super clasico" in division B in a year or so. Now that would be something, wouldn't it?
Old Jun 29, 11, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper View Post
Bosteros - myself included - should not be too jubilant. I would not be shocked to find us playing the "super clasico" in division B in a year or so. Now that would be something, wouldn't it?
Indeed.... of course, I dont think Boca will be relegated as its officials and the overall organization of Boca as a Club is, while not perfect, still light-years ahead of where River is at. I think you Bosteros are safe for now... unless you have a dismal Tournament after the Copa America.
Old Jul 2, 11, 7:40 pm

Im afraid the latest developments dont add much optimism to my analysis. Almeyda as head coach...? Good lord...

I guess we will need to wait for the Pasarella train wreck to properly derail before anything positive will come from this....
Old Jul 26, 11, 5:51 am

So.... with the latest modification of the Argentine Premiere League, starting in 2012 the two top leagues will play in one tournament so unless River is again relegated in the Apertura Nacional B it will again play the nations top league tournament in 2012.
Old Jul 28, 11, 2:24 pm

The scandal with the now labeled proposed modifications of the Primera Division Tournament apparently have been postponed until after the Presidential Elections.....

Old Jul 28, 11, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
The scandal with the now labeled proposed modifications of the Primera Division Tournament apparently have been postponed until after the Presidential Elections.....

Search this Thread