Search

3-4 days in May , after Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
3-4 days in May , after Buenos Aires

Planning a short Hop to Argentina in May 2011 (our first to Argentina and South America) In addition to BA , any suggestions on where to spend 3-4 days in a nice part of Argentina (taking into account the late season) with some good wineries (will visit only few to also enjoy nice scenaries, mountain views, old and well kept small cities and friendly people) Initial thoughts were either the Salta region and Cafayate (with one or two nites at the Patio) or the Mendoza wine region (perhaps continuing overland to SCL) Any suggestions for which one of these two and any other region worth picking up in May ? Should the South be excluded, in May? thanks in advance for any suggestions, crazyit
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:57 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Patagonia (the south) needs not be excluded in May due to cold weather... the harshest part is during July and August.

In terms of wine country, both Mendoza and Salta are must visits... so if you are a wine person I suggest you just flip the coin, chances are you will return to visit the area you miss out on this time.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Patagonia (the south) needs not be excluded in May due to cold weather... the harshest part is during July and August............
thanks Gaucho100k. What part of Patagonia would be reccomended to visit in 3-4 days in mid May? And , would the LAN pass (available, I believe, also on any other arriving OW airline tickets to Argentina) the best way to rapidly move in Argentina ? Thanks in advance to all suggestions and reccomendations.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Yes... use LAN and avoid Aerolineas like the plague.

I would say go to Bariloche.... or El Calafate, but it depends on what you like to do.... are you just a sightseeing person or are you active in the outdoors...? What other interests do you have...? The more you tell us what you are in to, the more we can help you.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Yes... use LAN and avoid Aerolineas like the plague.

I would say go to Bariloche.... or El Calafate, but it depends on what you like to do.... are you just a sightseeing person or are you active in the outdoors...? What other interests do you have...? The more you tell us what you are in to, the more we can help you.
Thanks Gaucho100K. For other personal reasons we will have to delay our trip, initially foreseen in May. Depending on flights availaibility , possible new timing should be the second half of November . In this case we will go to the South, after Buenos Aires, for some seightseeing. As soon as we have the new bookings , we will ask more suggestions,
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:32 am

Senor Gaucho 100K,
I want to visit Mendoza in May 3-24th with a trip to Chile & Uruguay. Is this ok to visit these areas at this time of year? I want to visit your wine shop on my visit to get educated on some of your fine "vinos" form Argentina. I have read many of your posts on these forums. You are a very kind & patient with your suggestions & information to help visitors. Thank you in advance for your time & any recommendations you have to offer.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by crazyit
Thanks Gaucho100K. For other personal reasons we will have to delay our trip, initially foreseen in May. Depending on flights availaibility , possible new timing should be the second half of November . In this case we will go to the South, after Buenos Aires, for some seightseeing. As soon as we have the new bookings , we will ask more suggestions,
No worries... let me know once your new dates are finalized.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by sawolf
Senor Gaucho 100K,
I want to visit Mendoza in May 3-24th with a trip to Chile & Uruguay. Is this ok to visit these areas at this time of year? I want to visit your wine shop on my visit to get educated on some of your fine "vinos" form Argentina. I have read many of your posts on these forums. You are a very kind & patient with your suggestions & information to help visitors. Thank you in advance for your time & any recommendations you have to offer.
May is the start of the best time of year to visit, since it is a time when the harvest is pretty much over and the critical initial winemaking duties are already well underway.... this is of course if the definition of the best time to visit is when the Senior Wine Making staff is available... if one is looking for standard cookie-cutter visits, then anytime of the year will be the same.

Regarding a store visit, please be so kind as to contact me via email or PM and we can work on how its best for us to meet, etc.

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Also I'd consider Iguassu falls, if you've not been there already. Truly impressive...
Old May 4, 2011, 10:40 am

May is the start of the best time of year to visit, since it is a time when the harvest is pretty much over and the critical initial winemaking duties are already well underway.... this is of course if the definition of the best time to visit is when the Senior Wine Making staff is available... if one is looking for standard cookie-cutter visits, then anytime of the year will be the same.

Regarding a store visit, please be so kind as to contact me via email or PM and we can work on how its best for us to meet, etc.

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
We visited Mendoza in mid-May and had a fabulous trip. Most of the wineries had very few tourists which meant our tours (and tastings) were more leisurely. The weather was still fabulous when we were there too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.