New: take out your laptop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New: take out your laptop

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.351 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/384)

As of today, security screeners started to ask travelers to take out laptops before passing it through X-Ray.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Lovely. In July LIM transit security required this (for the first time in my experience), and SCL did too in July (but not previously).
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: QF-Gold
I noticed as well that SCL required this in July, however I was there a week ago, I asked if I needed to take the laptop out and they said no. This was both in transit and after check-in (I thought I was in transit but ended up overnighting in Santiago due to flight delays). So maybe they quickly changed the policy back again, or perhaps the people working security just do whatever they feel like on the day.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I thought this was SOP for all proper security screening procedures at all airports.....
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I thought this was SOP for all proper security screening procedures at all airports.....
It wasn't, and it still may not be.

The reason behind "laptops out" was because of worries about "laptop" bombs and weapons/explosives/incendiary concealment by way of placement in or along side a laptop and/or amongst a clutter of other stuff. The "laptop bomb"-related removal is a joke as the x-ray machines' "ability" to detect explosives is a joke. About the concern over non-explosives weapons/weapon-component concealment by placement in or alongside the laptop, "laptops out" is anything but a distinguished approach to weapons detection when so many other carry-on items (or even the bag itself) can artfully conceal the same as or more effectively than a laptop.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 25, 2010 at 1:38 am
Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wasn't asked at EZE a few weeks ago but neither was I asked to take my shoes or belt off. Did I care? Not a jot. It's actually refreshing to see how they carry out security checks at EZE....maybe someone has made a complaint?
LHR on the other hand is a guessing game. Shoes off, belts off,laptops out who knows? It's different every time you go through. Probably due to a higher risk of some undesirable wanting to do something naughty.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
naughty.
I really didn't know where to post this, but this seemed appropriate and not worthy of another thread. The champagne (or whatever it is) served at the BA lounge @SFO (and only by special request, and supposed to be reserved for F pax) tastes like something HIDDY would drink as his regular sparking swill
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The belt had to come off when I arrived at SCL and had to go security....... also, the friggen dirty xray machine soiled by Navy Blue Sports Coat...... grrr... i guess the bozo security guys know of my crusade against their spoof juice from the WRONG side of the Andes..????!!!!!

Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully the Mistral lounge will have some XO on the shelf to calm you down.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:16 pm

Yes.... they also have Roederer sparkling.... the lounge is adecquate.... aint no Silver Kris Lounge but considering Im now a Clase Basura flyer, this is as close to comfort as Im gonna get....
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:23 pm

I cant believe my eyes... this Mistral place has 2 (two) wines from the right side of the Andes..... a Rutini Chardonnay and a Salentein Primus Malbec.....
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I really didn't know where to post this, but this seemed appropriate and not worthy of another thread. The champagne (or whatever it is) served at the BA lounge @SFO (and only by special request, and supposed to be reserved for F pax) tastes like something HIDDY would drink as his regular sparking swill
Probably some sparkling Californian crap. BA like to continue to support local industry in the former colonies. ^
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cant believe my eyes... this Mistral place has 2 (two) wines from the right side of the Andes..... a Rutini Chardonnay and a Salentein Primus Malbec.....
Yes, I tried both of them on my flight. I am glad your suffering wasn´t too painful. Well, your Salon VIP suffering. You are now sitting en Clase Basura suffering, as I am about to board my next non-Basura flight.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The belt had to come off when I arrived at SCL and had to go security....... also, the friggen dirty xray machine soiled by Navy Blue Sports Coat...... grrr... i guess the bozo security guys know of my crusade against their spoof juice from the WRONG side of the Andes..????!!!!!

I always try to carry a bag -- plastic preferably -- in which to place my coat and/or belt. I did it primarily because of the dirty shoes in the bin requirement in the US but also because the bottom of handbags (which often go in those bins too) are filthy, germ heaven.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
I saw the signs about taking the laptops out last Friday at EZE. But when I got the the X-Ray machine, and was about to take my laptop out of my bag, the agent told me not to.
Not very coherent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.