Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

New Years Eve 2010 and beyond

Old Aug 16, 10, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,SPG

I've searched and most of the information is quite dated. I'm looking for suggestions for New Years eve/week in BA this year. I'm just past 30 years of age and would like some exciting and active things to do at midnight and later.
But perhaps anyone who posts could put down things for those younger and older as well.
Also, are there any good spots to get some sun that are a day trip or less from the city? I was in BA 10 years ago and am eager to see how things have changed.
Thanks all.
Old Aug 16, 10, 5:39 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

Your best bet for NYE is to check out the Palermo bar scene... do you have any local friends...? BA's nightlife has its own set of unwritten rules... it pays to either be part of a Pack or else have a local wingman that knows the ropes.

Another area could be Puerto Madero.... or one of the Irish pubs around the Centro area.
Old Aug 16, 10, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I once spent a NYE there back when I was about your age. It was one of the biggest duds I ever had but it ended up being an ok evening. You are wise to think this ahead.

(1) Unless things have materially changed (and I don't expect that they have), expect that your nightlife on that night won't really start going until about 1:30 to 2:00 AM, when a lot of places will reopen. You will find the city mostly dead from about 8PM until that hour.

(2) Make dinner plans. Most people spend midnight at home with family/friends, or out at a pre-set dinner. If you don't have a reservation somewhere, you will go hungry, and also, have nothing to do from about 9PM until the bars/clubs open. Places will generally have a set price menu.

I went with a friend years ago and we scrambled to find something to do at midnight - we first walked around an area with lots of cafes, etc., and everything was closed, and we finally got a taxi to take us to the Obliesco, hoping there might be some people, and something open. We ended up finding ONE cafe open, got a bottle of wine, and spoke with some other tourists, all shocked that this is the deadest big city in the world at the turn of the year. At 1:30, we took a walk and ended up out at some club until after sunrise. My summer trips to Argentina now usually begin just after the 1st
Old Aug 17, 10, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Due to schedules I find that I'll be in BA solo from 12/31-1/2 when my friends arrive. I'll be in MIA until 12/30 and it doesn't make sense to go home then go back to south america. This doesn't sound promising but at least I'm staying in a nice hotel. I'll make sure to have something good to drink in the room to pass the time.
Any places to lay out in the sun during the day?
Old Aug 17, 10, 7:36 am

Just to clarify, I assumed you know that things dont get started until 2am... I did this on the basis that you said you had been here before.
Old Aug 19, 10, 2:51 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I hope you have fun. I always plan to be out of town on New Years Eve because I am a light sleeper and can not stand the firecrackers that go on and on and on until about January 2! My dog hates it too and has to have a tranquilizer. (shakes cane at "whippersnappers")
Old Aug 19, 10, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I hate going out in New Years eve.....always have always will.

I much prefer to fire up the parrilla, have some asado and plenty of cold beer at the ready for anyone who wishes to call. I sit and watch the Chinese lanterns hopefully over fly the house without landing and setting fire to the big pine tree in the garden.
Old Aug 19, 10, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have spent the last 9 "31 Decembers" on the right side of the Cordillera (when faced southward) including the past 6 in Santiago, where New Years Eve is a lot of fun. If there are some cheap fares, it might be fun to go over for the night. Countless people are out, watching the midnight fireworks, which are set off in various locations - including the Entel Tower in the city center. People of all ages are out on the streets with their bottles of bubbly swill of various qualities, and you will probably hug/kiss a few strangers "feliz año" as you send in the new year, on a somewhat balmy, but fresh medianoche. There will be nightlife right afterward. (My upcoming celebration is scheduled to be subdued, in Puerto Montt.)
Old Aug 19, 10, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I hate going out in New Years eve.....always have always will.

I much prefer to fire up the parrilla, have some asado and plenty of cold beer at the ready for anyone who wishes to call. I sit and watch the Chinese lanterns hopefully over fly the house without landing and setting fire to the big pine tree in the garden.
+1 on the asado routine for NYE here....

Since I got married, Ive also switched the Clubbing for a good party at home with a huge Asado (Parrilla) and plenty of good Spoof Juice... my plan is to have folks come in at around 2100hs.... the asado is already in the works (I will start the fire at around 1700hs)... and we will be seated at 2200hs.... the red spoof juice flows until 2345... then its time to switch to the stuff with bubbles.....

hic !!!
Old Aug 19, 10, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
+1 on the asado routine for NYE here....
Certainly a big difference to past New Years eve's I spent in Scotland. Usually freezing in some mountain bothy.....thanking God for the whisky.
Old Aug 19, 10, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hic !!!
up
Old Aug 21, 10, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Certainly a big difference to past New Years eve's I spent in Scotland. Usually freezing in some mountain bothy.....thanking God for the whisky.
Whisky....?? What, no Reserva San Juan when you go back to see the family...???????
Old Aug 21, 10, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whisky....?? What, no Reserva San Juan when you go back to see the family...???????
Reputable reports state that he's now gone high end, with Gato (chileno) en caja!
Old Aug 21, 10, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Reputable reports state that he's now gone high end, with Gato (chileno) en caja!
I think you are trying to justify your low en wrong side of the andes grape juice habits on poor Hiddy.....
Old Aug 25, 10, 9:00 am
Original Poster

OK - I'm resigned to having a few bottles of liquor in my room as I'll be there during NYE solo until my friends arrive two days later. Any suggestions on places to enjoy the summer weather during those few days? I know there are no beaches within a day trip, but any parks where it won't be a big deal to take my shirt off and read a book?

Search this Thread