Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Aeroparque AEP reopened 1 December 2010 (updated title)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroparque AEP reopened 1 December 2010 (updated title)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
IIRC, 757s operate from DCA and should be able to travel much of S. America with a full payload.
What are the specs on the A321? LAN has just ordered some and I'm sure they'd love it on a LIM/AEP run.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe there has to be a certain amount of run-off at each end of the runway for certain sized aircraft as well...........although I'm no expert - just a plane spotting geek.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I believe there has to be a certain amount of run-off at each end of the runway for certain sized aircraft as well.........
Indeed. YYZ has been criticized for not having enough overrun (AF358) and of course AEP has its own MJ3142 incident. Not sure how much overrun space AEP has but having a look at aerial photos seems to suggest only 100m at the SE end and 300-400 on the NW end.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
What are the specs on the A321? LAN has just ordered some and I'm sure they'd love it on a LIM/AEP run.
The 321 will do LIM-AEP, I'm sure, but not too sure if it can do the reverse with any useful payload.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:14 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

The only solution for a proper city airport like AEP would be to construct a man made Island out towards the river/ocean.

Of course, Argentina would need Chinese sized investment funds to do that...
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:06 am
SK

In the meantime, airlines are still selling flights to AEP (I am looking for Santiago (SCL) to Buenos Aires flights).
I wonder if they will just keep selling them to AEP, even when it's closed, and just tell you that you'll land in EZE only at the last moment...
Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:25 pm

So I have an interesting problem relating to this. I booked a ticket to AEP last week, having found no indication that it would be any problem from expedia when I booked the flight, and nothing when I looked into the airport.

I had planned to fly into EZE, but after talking with a friend in Buenos Aires, I decided to go with AEP given it's right in the city. I found tickets for exactly the same price, and I was thinking, hey, I'll avoid the entry fee..... FAIL

So I sent something to Expedia to see if they had any advice (like 10 minutes ago, when I realized this), but, uhh, what the hell do they do for this situation? Will they just surprise me when I connect in Santiago and say we're going to EZE instead, hope you have the $131?

I'm just worried they'll cancel my flight or something, and I wasn't exactly sure how it'd work out since I've got two other legs of the trip with Delta before Santiago.... Any advice, anyone? This is the only place I can seem to find info.... I've got until November to figure it out, but I'd like to know if they're going to cancel on me and make me find another flight or what.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
The plan, as far as I know, is for all flights that are scheduled for AEP will use EZE during the closure. Of course I suspect that the re-opening of AEP to traffic may not take place on schedule

EZE is often used for landings where there are weather problems at AEP, and the airports are not far apart.

Because interior renovations will be taking place in the AEP terminal, in addition to the widening of the runway, I would not be surprised to see a reciprocity tax booth when the airport reopens ...

John
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:09 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x320)

I agree with John..... me thinks the days of the AEP loophole are in their final countdown...
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I agree with John..... me thinks the days of the AEP loophole are in their final countdown...
Indeed...it makes sense. It's a strange set-up as it stands just now.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:38 pm

Does anyone know what will happen to operations?

Meanwhile - it is worth noting that Aerolinas Argentinas and Fly Pluna are selling tickets from departures from AEP during the period when it is closed
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:05 am

I spoke with Expedia. They told me that no one has informed them that the airport will be closed, so I should just be hopeful that it doesn't.

Of course, to ease my mind, they told me that my flight will either be cancelled at the last minute or they'll just redirect the flight. This helps tremendously with my trip planning.

I have absolutely no experience traveling internationally, and not that much domestically. Will they normally help me find another flight during the same period, or cancel my ticket, give me a refund, and make me find another flight again at a probably higher price?

I'm annoyed now, because I could have gotten the ticket straight to EZE for the same price as AEP, and I still could, but now I might get screwed over by Expedia, or someone....
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:26 am

Just relax.....if AEP is still closed when you fly the flight will go to EZE. If it does get cancelled then you'll be put on another flight.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:36 am

Haha, ok. Just needed someone to actually say that. I've only flown like 10 times, and I've never even had a flight be delayed, so I have no idea how they handle having to switch people to other flights, etc. I'm just worried because this is the only chance I have, being off from school and work, to go to BsAs.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Tranquilo chico! Es la Argentina
EZE is ramping up operations to be able to support the diverted flights. AEP will close when they can support the flights at EZE, and will reopen once the renovations are finished. (Both of these dates could be subject to change).

Both airports are subject to the same authority, so there's nothing to worry about (well, more than usual, if you're flying AR )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.