Kind of a dumb question re: Suitcase/Luggage and Travel Within Argentina

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha

Hi,

So I'll be flying into BA for a 5-day business Trip. Then I'm off to Iguazu Falls(1.5 days) (2 days) followed by el Calafate/Glacier Trek followed by back to BA for a night and then back to Canada.

What is the best sort of luggage should I bring?

-Normal Roller Suitcase?

-Hefty Backpack style

I\m looking for advice for what is best in terms of convenience in Argentina?

thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've always found a backpack to be the best type of luggage to use when travelling....unfortunately the wife insists on using suitcases which I find a bloody nuisance to be honest.
Oh.....the days of being free and single.

I'm sure you are already aware of the advantages of being able to shove it on your back when walking any distance, having your hands free at all times and the ease of stowing it. I see the only disadvantage of it being the chances of getting crumpled clothes......which can be overcome if choosing the right clothes.
To me a backpack gives the impression of you being on a adventure rather than just a hotel hopping tour.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by morphius909
Hi,

So I'll be flying into BA for a 5-day business Trip. Then I'm off to Iguazu Falls(1.5 days) (2 days) followed by el Calafate/Glacier Trek followed by back to BA for a night and then back to Canada.

What is the best sort of luggage should I bring?

-Normal Roller Suitcase?

-Hefty Backpack style

I\m looking for advice for what is best in terms of convenience in Argentina?

thanks!
Can your roller suitcase handle rough sidewalks, etc.? If so, you may find it easier than carrying a backpack. I had a large roller duffel with me for my 8 week trip, no problem. Either one should work fine, though. Argentine taxis are a real bargain, so doubt you will have to walk terribly far. I guess for 5 days I might echo Hiddy's comment about feeling more "adventurous" with the backpack. Have fun!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Well the 5 days in BA is purely business, dress pants, ties, Laptop, Iphone, Etc. Staying at a nice hotel in a nice part of town.

I follow that with the Falls and Glacier Trek. It was these two excursions that made me think of convenience.

I love my MEC backpack as well. Backpack it is!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Good call going with the backpack. You're definitely fine either way, but it's nice showing up to rugged destinations with a backpack instead of a big rolling suitcase.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:20 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
There are no stupid questions in this forum.... only stupid answers !!!!

Old Apr 6, 2010, 2:43 pm

You aren't planning on walking around Iguazu with a backpack, are you? If you aren't going for multi-day hikes carrying your luggage, I really doubt it will make a difference. I went to Buenos Aires and Iguazu, using taxis or shuttles between the airports and the hotels, and the type of luggage was a complete non-issue.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:30 am
Original Poster

haha no I guess I'll be A-Okay
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:15 pm

Assuming you'll be using the same hotel before and after your flight, I'd use the roller suitcase and bring along a backpack for the trek. I've bookended a trip with stays at the same hotel, so I just have them keep my suitcase in storage until my return. If you're staying at a decent hotel, you won't have any problems.

That way your business wear will be in decent shape, and you'll still have the flexibility of the pack for your adventure.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Ended up with the suitcase. With business attire and casual I couldn't fit everything into the backpack. The wife just laughed.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by morphius909
Ended up with the suitcase. With business attire and casual I couldn't fit everything into the backpack. The wife just laughed.
Never mind...

Advantage of a suitcase is it's easier to find stuff. I just feel more comfortable with a backpack.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Never mind...

Advantage of a suitcase is it's easier to find stuff. I just feel more comfortable with a backpack.
I hear ya..... my wife gently reminded me now I Have more room for sou eniers and gifts....which will be my next thread I start sometime midweek next week.....
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:02 pm

Suitcase vs. Backpack

Just returned from Argentina. Argentina great! Delta airlines terrible. Luggage lost in Atlanta Georgia USA. Luckily, I had a small overnite carry-on packed with necessities. Got to Lima Peru and had to stay overnite because Delta had not made the required reservations to Cordoba Argentina, and the connecting flight was full by the time I got there. Was rerouted through BA, instead of direct Cordoba. Had to schlep my backpack with camera gear and overnite case to another building. The only time on the entire trip I was happy I didn't have my suitcase. Then couldn't get on the flight booked by Delta from BA to Cordoba and had to go to alternate domestic airport on the other side of town. When I talked to the Delta people in BA, they immediately started blaming me for not making the connecting flight. I was not friendly by this time, and pointed out to the Delta idiot, the plane I was supposed to take, left the airport before I got there. Finally, got to Cordoba. Suitcase arrived late next day.

Two others in group coming from Colorado thru Atlanta were held up two days enroute due to Delta reservation mistakes. I left Cordoba two days later, and the other two people still had not received their luggage.

On way back, had to connect through Santiago Chile, but Delta airlines late taking off from Santiago. Missed connecting flight in Atlanta due to late arrival. Suitcase somehow made it to connecting flight I was supposed to be on, so it went round and round at baggage pickup in Seattle until I arrived on later flight. Amazing someone else didn't walk off with my suitcase.

1) Don't fly Delta airlines. They are pathetic.
2) Make sure you can do without your suitcase if you take one. Always pack an overnite case as an alternative that is always carried on.
3) Never, never, ever, never fly Delta airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.