Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

current weather/flooding in Buenos Aires ?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Is this a a normal situation for Buenos Aires or are we talking about a freak once-in-a-lifetime amount of rain and flooding. I don't know much about it, just a quick article and some photos sent to me by someone concerned after I told him we were moving to Buenos Aires later in the year.

I can deal with flooding. I've lived in places in South East Asia where the annual floods and never-ending rains were things that came like clockwork. I'm just surprised to see photos of Buenos Aires underwater this week, and would like to know if that is what I have to look forward to.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:51 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Not normal.... but its been bad this year, they are working on various infrastructure issues around the city so with a little luck these huge Venice like situations will not happen after 2012.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Nothing to worry about. We have a torrential downpour, the drainage system can't cope, streets get flooded, the subway normally gets interrupted for a while, there may be a few power cuts then normality returns fairly quickly thereafter
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This February is heading to be the wettest ever and only another 45mm of rain is needed to break the record. I'm actually surprised how quickly things seem to get back to normal in the city. Of course the news channels concentrate their pictures on the worst of the flooding from about 50 different angles so it looks more extensive than it actually is......can the portenos confirm this?

More rain was forecast for today but where I am out in the sticks it has stayed dry all day.....so far. ^
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:31 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Will the rain please stop? I'm arriving in BsAs on March 3rd
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
We arent done with February yet and the rain fallen is already over 3x the historical average.... Im not sure many cities have drainage apt to take this amount of rain in this little time.... almost 80mm in less than 120 minutes is a heck of a lot of rain.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:46 am

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Hiddy is right about the TV coverage... the zoom lens effect is quite misleading.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:40 am

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/12.2.024; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG7.1.12344)

Its coming down hard again right now....
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/12.2.024; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG7.1.12344)

Its coming down hard again right now....
Flooding again I see live on the TV....although it certainly doesn't look as bad as it was the other day.

HIDDY...reporting 100 miles SSW of BA with tormentas in the vicinity.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:46 pm

It was worse in Pilar, San Isidro and Martinez that in the city proper... its stopped now so I guess the worst is over.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
This February is heading to be the wettest ever and only another 45mm of rain is needed to break the record.
And the record was broken yesterday....wettest February on record.

Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:43 am

Ola, How does this ran affect the upcoming grape harvest? Is it raining in Mendoza with record rainfall or just in certain areas? Also what is the off season & best time to visit other than peak tourist season to visit Argentina & save on airfare? I am newbie here & want to visit later this year. I hear many different opinions. Any good suggestions or help is very much appreciated! Muchos Gracias
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by sawolf
Ola, How does this ran affect the upcoming grape harvest? Is it raining in Mendoza with record rainfall or just in certain areas? Also what is the off season & best time to visit other than peak tourist season to visit Argentina & save on airfare? I am newbie here & want to visit later this year. I hear many different opinions. Any good suggestions or help is very much appreciated! Muchos Gracias
Rain reported here has been coming down in EZE and surrounding areas... MDZ is more than 1000kms away.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by sawolf
My very modest grape harvest will be down by 50% this year......too much rain has made the grapes fall off prematurely.

On the bright side it saves me lots of time having to pick them. The wife isn't happy though as she planned on drinking lots of grape juice. Any time outside of November to April I would say is off peak but it depends on whereabouts you are planning on visiting.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:14 am

chance for dessert wine

Originally Posted by HIDDY
My very modest grape harvest will be down by 50% this year......too much rain has made the grapes fall off prematurely.

On the bright side it saves me lots of time having to pick them. The wife isn't happy though as she planned on drinking lots of grape juice. Any time outside of November to April I would say is off peak but it depends on whereabouts you are planning on visiting.
Hiddy... excess humidity is a good thing if you can get the noble-not going..... You should be able to make some decent dessert wine... ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.