Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Additional 6 nights in Argentina...what to see / do?

Old Jan 30, 10, 7:13 pm
kpc
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold

Hope some of the regulars can help me... I arrive in BA in early March (5 weeks' time), and had planned to go to the Scared Valley and Machu Picchu in Peru the next day for 6 nights (everything booked!!) before returning to BA for a further 5 nights (and to attend a conference). Between attending the conference, and sightseeing in BA, I thought that would take up all my time in BA, perhaps with some time to do a side trip to Colonia in Uruguay.

unfortunately, the recent floods in MP / Cusco have destroyed the access to MP (http://elcomercio.pe/noticia/406075/...-varios-aludes), and I can't see the railway being repaired in the 5 weeks before we arrive.

So I'm thinking of cancelling the Peru leg (leave it for another time) and spend the additional 6 nights in Argentina. Whilst I'm sure BA is a wonderful and interesting place (I've never been before), I'm looking at what else to do in Argentina with my additional 6 nights. I admit I haven't done a lot of research todate, but I was hoping you all can give me some pointers so I can do further research.

My ideas so far:
1) Fly to Iguazu falls - is one night enough? or should I spent 2 nights?
2) Visit Mendoza - apart from Wine, is that anything I should be looking at?
3) Visit Patagonia - is this a good time to go?
4) Give up on all my own planning and travelling (which I always prefer with months of forward planning), and just book a 6 night tour from BA? if so, suggestions of a possible itinerary would be appreciated.

Anyway, your input / suggestions will be much apprecaited.

thanks
Old Jan 31, 10, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you still have the tickets to Peru and cannot return them, I highly recommend seeing Lake Titicaca and visiting the floating islands, and the island of Taquile in the lake. There are some nice pre-Inca ruins in that area as well. Lima is an interesting city with great seafood, and you might take a trip to Nazca to see the desert megapaintings there.

However, if you want to spend the time in Argentina, it is beautiful in March. It is pretty easy to get an overnight bus up to Iguazu with full flat beds so you save a night's hotel cost - I took the bus line "via Bariloche" up there last March, and had a lot of fun. You need at least 2 full days at Iguazu, one to see the Argentine side of the falls, one for the Brazilian side. If you do not have a Brazilian visa, you are technically not supposed to cross over, but if you get on the local bus to Foz de Iguazu on the Brazilian side and just "forget" to get out at the Brazilian border crossing, it is ignored.

I also highly recommend Mendoza for wine tasting and great food. Lots of wine tours available, can even bike around the area while tasting. Again, nice overnight buses with beds go there many times per day.

Bariloche in northern Patagonia is a beautiful ski/resort town on an incredibly beautiful mountain lake. Bus and air service there as well, with the "via Bariloche" bus being very nice in my experience.

The easiest way to get bus tickets is to go directly to the counter at the Retiro bus station in BA. Pay cash, as for some reason credit card purchases can not be refunded while cash can. Buses go point to point throughout the country, so you could do a loop, such as BA-Bariloche-Mendoza -(Iguazu)- BA, though that is probably too much for 6 days.

One other tip - if you can plan ahead, the ferry company "Colonia Express" has VERY cheap tickets to Colonia, which is beautiful. http://www.coloniaexpress.com/ar/

I'm jealous of your trip. Have a great time.

Links:
Via Bariloche http://www.viabariloche.com.ar/home/

all bus lines http://www.omnilineas.com/

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jan 31, 10 at 1:56 am
Old Jan 31, 10, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
All good stuff from Doc Savage. Whilst the buses are great and very comfortable to save time I would just fly....the problem with the buses are they aren't very quick and you don't see anything in the dark anyway.

Iguazu, Mendoza and Bariloche are all good suggestions and are easily accessible by air.Salta is also another good place to consider. They are all well served by package tours from BA if you don't want to organise it yourself. I would choose two places so either Mendoza for the wine tours, Bariloche/Salta for the scenery and walking or Iguazu for the falls.
You can do Colonia as a day trip from BA.
Old Jan 31, 10, 11:36 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Mendoza is not only wine.... plenty of outdoors activities, from rafting to horseback activities, mountaineering, etc. etc.
Old Feb 2, 10, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
6 or 7 extra days on BA mmnnn... I saw few packages for Patagonia, 3 days in Calafate (Perito Moreno Glacier) and 3 days in Usuahia.
Old Feb 2, 10, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.1 MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
Mendoza is not only wine.... plenty of outdoors activities, from rafting to horseback activities, mountaineering, etc. etc.
And parapente too!
Old Feb 2, 10, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn View Post
And parapente too!
I don't fancy that......I'm too scared. I'll stick to the wine tasting.
Old Feb 3, 10, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I don't fancy that......I'm too scared. I'll stick to the wine tasting.
chic, chic, chic........
Old Feb 3, 10, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn View Post
And parapente too!
Old Feb 3, 10, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat View Post
6 or 7 extra days on BA mmnnn... I saw few packages for Patagonia, 3 days in Calafate (Perito Moreno Glacier) and 3 days in Usuahia.
Excellent options also !!!
Old Feb 3, 10, 7:36 pm
kpc
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Thanks for all the replies todate...I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment as our flights to Peru are non refundable, and my main reason for going to Peru was to visit Machu Piccu. I need to decide pretty soon whether to cancel my trip to Peru (and try to claim the airfares from travel insurance) and visit some of the places in Argentina mentioned above, or go ahead with my trip to Peru but not see Machu Piccu...decisions...
Old Feb 3, 10, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would just go to Peru if it means you losing out on the ticket purchase. There must be more to Peru than Machu Piccu surely?

The flooding has been shown extensively on Argentine TV sadly due to the death of a Argentine student on a trip to the area. One road looked washed away but was still passable.It might just be a small area that is affected.
Have a Google and see if there is any up to date info about travelling....warnings against travel etc.
Not wishing to put you off coming to Argentina but it seems such a shame that you might lose out.
Old Feb 3, 10, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I would just go to Peru if it means you losing out on the ticket purchase. There must be more to Peru than Machu Piccu surely?
Agree - I also loved Cuzco for its Inca and Spanish history, as well as Titicaca and Lima and Nazca. You likely have some accommodations already set up in Peru, right? While Machu Picchu is incredible, the other sights in Peru are well worth the 5-6 days there and that way you don't lose your investment.
Old Feb 4, 10, 11:29 am

Lima is an amazing city for foodies.... if you guys are into Gourmet food, then Lima will be a treat, its at the forefront of Latin American Gastronomy. Fish & SeaFood is amazing....
Old Feb 4, 10, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
Lima is an amazing city for foodies.... if you guys are into Gourmet food, then Lima will be a treat, its at the forefront of Latin American Gastronomy. Fish & SeaFood is amazing....
Really? Think I may just pop up there for a holiday myself then as the fish/sea food here is bloody awful.

Search this Thread