Reload this Page >

Visa Reciprocity fee to start December 20, 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa Reciprocity fee to start December 20, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Good luck with that. Looks like the fees being charged by the US are about to increase yet again to $140 for a non-immigrant tourist visa:

http://travel.state.gov/news/press/press_4603.html#
^ very interesting link indeed!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by starlanet
Anyway, this fee will be valid for 10 years, so if you keep (save) your receipt, you won't have to pay for it again.

Happy Holidays ... and safe traveling!
I have been looking around for any official statement of this, but haven't found one. All I've seen is that the Canadian one specifically is one-time only - and terms around the other two are omitted from anywhere I've read.

Even the signs in Ezeiza - which I saw as I waited in immigration on my way back from France last Tuesday, don't specify anything other than single-entry for the Canadian one. When I saw the signs, I actually thought the "single-entry" clarification applied to all three, as the Canadian flag was in he middle, and the clarifaction was, well, underneath it in the middle.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Here's the official Decreto 1654/2008 Tasa de ingreso :

http://www.atodoturismo.com.ar/index...=523&Itemid=26

John
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Here's the official Decreto 1654/2008 Tasa de ingreso :

http://www.atodoturismo.com.ar/index...=523&Itemid=26

John
Thank you - although when I read that (such as my Spanish is) - I just see that implementation is supposed to take into account whether visas offered by other countries are single or multiple entry... nothing that is specific enough for me to draw the conclusion cited by others that the fees for US and AU citizens will allow multiple entries, whilst the fee for Canadians allow only a single entry.

It also seems to suggest a broader implementation than just Ezeiza, and indeed one of the articles I read (maybe in La Nacion, or maybe in the BA Herald) used the word "initially" together with saying the fee would only be collected in Ezeiza.

Of course I'm hoping it's a fee I only have to pay once every ten years, or once every passport, or even once every five years like in Brazil... but if it's not, then my patterns are going to have to change dramatically - I entered Argentina eight times this year, six of them via Ezeiza, and eight times last year -- all them them via Ezeiza.

Last edited by Schultzois; Dec 27, 2009 at 12:22 pm Reason: correct country mistake
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:30 am
Original Poster

The problem seems to be that the exact details and implementation have been left up to Migraciones.

Timatic http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...t_information/ has just listed the country-specific reciprocity charges that will be implemented tomorrow.

In summary:

USA
- Effective December 28, 2009 a reciprocity charge (payable in cash (USD or Argentine Pesos) or by credit card or traveller's cheques), is levied when visiting Argentina and entering via Ezeiza airport for touristic or business purposes to holders of normal pasports being nationals of:
- U.S.A.: USD 131.-, valid for 10 years multiple entries. Exempt if also holding Argentine nationality (dual nationality).

CANADA
- Effective December 28, 2009 a reciprocity charge (payable in cash (USD or Argentine Pesos) or by credit card or traveller's cheques), is levied when visiting Argentina and entering via Ezeiza airport for touristic or business purposes to holders of normal pasports being nationals of:
- Canada: USD 70.-, valid for one entry. Exempt if also holding Argentine nationality (dual nationality).

AUSTRALIA
- Australia: USD 100.-, valid for one entry. Exempt if also holding Argentine nationality (dual nationality).
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:37 pm

Hmmm... thanks. That's the first I've seen suggesting that Australian is also single-entry. I hope it's definitely correct about US being multiple-entry... And your mentioning of Migraciones led me to check back on their page, and that is in fact where I saw the Canadian singled out as single-entry... although there is once again no mention next to US or AUS of what it is - just an omission of the (una entrada/single entry) notation that is next to Canada.

So I suppose what you've listed from Timatic isn't inconsistent with what's published by Migraciones, but then again, it would seem strange that Timatic is showing both Canada and Australia being single-entry, when Migraciones only says Canada is single-entry.

Needless to say, I also expect whatever the official law, interpretation and implementation will perhaps vary from one administration to the next without the law itself changing. That's simply SOP in Argentina...
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

The previous statements from the Argentine government have always indicated that US citizens would be allowed multiple entry. It was unclear whether the 10 year validity would be dependent on the life of the passport.

Air Canada has posted the same information on its web site (although I suspect that it just mimics the info on Timatic):

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/tra...html?src=hp_ta

John
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Good luck with that. Looks like the fees being charged by the US are about to increase yet again to $140 for a non-immigrant tourist visa:

http://travel.state.gov/news/press/press_4603.html#
Thanks for the link. Now I know the specific law to complain about.

I get that government agencies want to fund their own activities when possible but it seems to me that the fees should at LEAST be relative to the purchasing power of the country. I do not think it's good for America to make it very difficult for tourists from many countries from visiting our country.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This doesn't affect me as I am a UK citizen which doesn't charge Argentine citizens when entering the UK for a holiday. I have permanent residency here anyway.

Haven't read through all the thread but am I right in thinking it's just a tit for tat fee because the USA has been charging Argentine visitors a fee for years?

If so, I'll give it a ^.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
updated info?

Saw this on the Argentine Post

http://www.argentinepost.com/2008/12...rance-fee.html

Lets hope this holds true...even if for a few months...mostly so I dont have to pay this fee!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by singtx
Saw this on the Argentine Post

http://www.argentinepost.com/2008/12...rance-fee.html

Lets hope this holds true...even if for a few months...mostly so I dont have to pay this fee!
Wishful thinking on your part I'm afraid....that site looks dodgy to me.

According to local TV here it's a goer.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Ahhh, but one can hope!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by singtx
Ahhh, but one can hope!
Given the way things work here it wouldn't surprise me if they changed it.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:54 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Do we have a confirmed charge of this fee as of today..????
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Do we have a confirmed charge of this fee as of today..????
Haven't seen any reports yet. The above-referenced blog posting about a delay seems self-referential, and may result from the original intention of implementing the reciprocity fee on December 20, rather than the 28th.

Both Clarin and La Nacion had online articles yesterday (December 27) stating that all systems were go for implementation starting this morning.

PS: Clarin has just posted an article this afternoon stating the fee is being charged at EZE: http://www.clarin.com/diario/2009/12...m-02109079.htm

John

Last edited by SoFlyOn; Dec 28, 2009 at 12:33 pm Reason: Added latest Clarin link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.