Visa Reciprocity fee to start December 20, 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa Reciprocity fee to start December 20, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
This is a key issue... the local authorities need to make sure that this new fee does not add another 45 minutes to the already sloppy arrivals situation at EZE.
I agree 100%. I've never had a real problem with EZE arrival though. On arrival, I don't think I've ever waited longer than 5-10 min for immigration. I typically don't check bags, so baggage claim hasn't been an issue.

Of course departing EZE is something completely different...
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cada 90 Dias
Best route to avoid fees:

1) xUSA-SCL(transit)-MDZ
2) Take scenic bus back to Santiago
3) Fly to IPC and back (domestic flight)
4) Fly SCL-MDZ and clear immigrations and customs
5) Fly domestic MDZ to AEP or EZE
Hmmm. Would this actually work?

If I just want to go to Mendoza and Easter Island, it does seem like I could fly USA to MDZ as long as I transit SCL and not EZE. This works without a visa, right? Any other viable transit points to MDZ from the USA?

How long is the bus ride from Mendoza to Santiago?

I then fly SCL-IPC roundtrip. No visa fee that way, right? And then no problems boarding SCL-USA without a visa?

It doesn't seem like a crazy itinerary, as it would save me $1300 in visas for 5 people doing it this way, in exchange for one bus ride. If I'm redeeming ff miles, though, I'd need the flights to be available.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
If I just want to go to Mendoza and Easter Island, it does seem like I could fly USA to MDZ as long as I transit SCL and not EZE. This works without a visa, right? Any other viable transit points to MDZ from the USA?
Right.
No. LAN is it if you are doing a transit at Santiago with checked luggage from AA or DL.

How long is the bus ride from Mendoza to Santiago?
Seven hours average but this can vary greatly if there is a backup at the border at Paso Los Libertadores.

I then fly SCL-IPC roundtrip. No visa fee that way, right? And then no problems boarding SCL-USA without a visa?
Correct.
Correct.

Itin requires work to make it happen but we all know TINSTAAFL.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. But if I fly into SCL and transfer directly to ANY city in Chile, I get hit for their visa fee? I have to continue to another South American country?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks. But if I fly into SCL and transfer directly to ANY city in Chile, I get hit for their visa fee? I have to continue to another South American country?
Sipo. To get to a domestic flight you have to clear immigration and get your luggage, and then go to the domestic side.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:08 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
This is something that the entry-Visa system should actually consider... its not fair that pax in transit should be hit with this cost.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by i'mlovin'it
I agree 100%. I've never had a real problem with EZE arrival though. On arrival, I don't think I've ever waited longer than 5-10 min for immigration.
I go to Buenos Aires about 10 to 15 times a year and I've never waited more than 15 minutes (normally 5 min.) to clear immigration.
And is true. Departing EZE takes normally more time.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The Arrivals at EZE is a mess, unless you arrive at a time when you are the only international flight in.... the AM arrivals situation with all the US flights makes the airport a zoo..... its a shameful situation.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is something that the entry-Visa system should actually consider... its not fair that pax in transit should be hit with this cost.
For Mendoza, I'm guessing the USA-SCL-MDZ business will increase, no?

Like if I'm booking reward travel on LAN, in theory I could ticket (say) NYC-SCL-MDZ. Then fly MDZ to Aeroparque. Stopover, and then EZE-JFK.

No visa fee, right?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are only hit if they are entering Chile and going to another city in Chile. There is no fee for international transit connections. It would be like landing at EZE and transferring to AEP to a domestic city (except that the airport is nicer, and you don't have to change airports ).
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like if I'm booking reward travel on LAN, in theory I could ticket (say) NYC-SCL-MDZ. Then fly MDZ to Aeroparque. Stopover, and then EZE-JFK.

No visa fee, right?
I'd expect there to be a slight but not significant increase in people starting their trips in MDZ (from SCL) and MVD. Both airports serve AEP. I believe LAN started LIM/COR service (for those who want to route around the fee.)
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:31 pm

I came into EZE the other day and as others have posted, the process is a bit slow, but not too bad. When my flight arrived there was nobody in line and 5 booths open to take payments. Seems like each person paying takes 3-5 minutes. Still no passport swiper, so the clerks are typing in a lot of info. After making the payment, the immigration line was another 5 min. Head downstairs and the checked luggage started showing up about 10 minutes later.

The FAs from my flight showed up about the same time i got through immigration so the entire process couldn't have been THAT slow

There were probably only 30 people in the "reciprocity fee" line, which I thought was odd. The flight only went out with about 25 empty seats. Would have though there were more Americans/Canadians on the flight.

Last edited by i'mlovin'it; Jan 11, 2010 at 1:11 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:49 pm

No visa fee, right?
Unless they start collecting in MDZ, you should be fine... ^
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: None-Airline employee
How easy is it to rent a car in MVD and drive to Buenos Aires? I generlly rent a car at EZE anyway since I visit friends outide La Capital. But looking at a map, there does not appear to be a very direct road between the two cities.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by gaucho99
But looking at a map, there does not appear to be a very direct road between the two cities.
Probably something to do with that bit of water between Uruguay and Argentina

You can take vehicles on some of the Buquebus crossings. Failing that, you would have to drive north through Uruguay and cross the bridge at Gualeguaychú if it's not being blockaded by people protesting about the papeleras.

As for the practicalities of renting a car in one country and dropping it off in another I have no idea if it's possible or not as I've never done it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.