Reload this Page >

US $1 bill in Argentina

US $1 bill in Argentina

Old Nov 9, 09, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: statusless these days
Question US $1 bill in Argentina

I remember it used to be useful having small USD notes in Argentina when the ARS was pegged to the USD at 1:1. Any point in bringing a wad of US $1 notes now? (I'm in Canada, don't have easy access to small USD notes, and have been holding on to a depreciating currency ).
Old Nov 9, 09, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.1 MM
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
I remember it used to be useful having small USD notes in Argentina when the ARS was pegged to the USD at 1:1. Any point in bringing a wad of US $1 notes now? (I'm in Canada, don't have easy access to small USD notes, and have been holding on to a depreciating currency ).
I wouldn't bother. People would much prefer one peso coins (for the colectivo), or 2 peso notes. US$20 notes are always appreciated for tips
Old Nov 9, 09, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Outside of hotel tipping, the US$1 isn't going to do much for anyone, and will probably be a nuisance. Larger denominations for larger purchases may get you some favo(u)rable discounts in non-chain-type stores.
Old Nov 9, 09, 7:46 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
USD 5 notes are the best size for tipping....
Old Nov 14, 09, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I give 2$ bills as tips. Some portenos carry a 1$ bill in there wallet for some form of suerte. This is on vacation granted. They are readily available at the bank when i go to pull out my wad of Ben Franklin's for my apartment.

A 2$ is even more rare

Search this Thread